Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford first good test drive.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, May 16, 2012.

1. I am soooooooo stoked!!!!!! I just got back from the 3rd drive in my 1936 Ford. The 1st one it was so bad that I made it up and down the street 3 times and that was it for a month of fixing problems.The exhaust was against the frame, the engine was sitting on the crossmember and the steering was binding bigtime. The second time was with my wife and it was so loud, the transmission didn't shift, there was squeeeling , howling and all these weird noises that cars should just not make. It turned out that the front brakes were rubbing on the lower control arms and the backing plate and the rear end had no fluid in a brand new rebuid. The guy I bought it from gave up on it and I'm glad he did as I have had to fix everything he touched. Oh well. The rear end I assumed had fluid in it as he drove it from his garage to his shop which was about 300 ft away. Well bone dry which was the howling. I got it back home and put good gear lube in it and was and am hoping no damage has occured. Anyway, this is the 3rd drive and I cannot believe it!!!!! No howling, no banging ( I fixed the exhaust that was hitting the frame and the floor), the transmission shifted perfect and the car was quiet!!! It actually drove excellent!!!!! I cannot believe it!!!!! I am soooooo stoked!!!!! Still!!!!!!!! Here's my 3rd attempt on getting this car on the road after 50 years!!! I am going to drive the hell out of it!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVEGt8tGXfM&feature=bf_prev&list=ULjpEgC6G12Sk

Here's a walk around of the car.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_g3mfUVOg&list=UUEINMnZhujPuBIqY-4jHfyw&index=2&feature=plcp

2. awesome! congrats dude! I know you've had to do lots, but looks like it was worth it. :)

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Very nice car....congrats! Thanks for sharing the vids, went well with my beer.

4. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

5. bennydog

bennydog
    from Corona

CONGRATS Awesome!! Im jealous... nice ride

6. mj40's

mj40's

Get an air cleaner on that Holley and enjoy the shit out of it!

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good looking car! congrats!

8. bluestang67

bluestang67

9. Pretty cool!
    Thanks for taking us along.

10. It needs more than that . No shocks in the rear yet, the battery ground consists of battery cables going to the battery and then clamping to the rear bumper bracket, no wiring has been terminated to switches but it is all wired to the outside of the car. I just wanted to test it out after putting a ton of time since the last 500ft drive. This time I am grinning from ear to ear. EVERYTHING WORKED!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing my ride!!!!! I am still smiling!!!!! It drove soooooooooo good!!!!!

11. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Wow!!! Thats a Awesome 36! Good job, Have fun cruising...

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Good for you man, I know the feeling. How about a picture of the whole car?
    Paul

13. Second link has the whole car.

14. cakes

cakes

People still say cool beans? Cool car by the way

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

wow, that things clean, enjoy.

16. LOL!!! I don't know where that came from !!!! When I heard me say that on the video I laughed as I don't think I said that for 30 years!!! LOL!!!

17. brady1929

brady1929

congrats. sometimes i think i will never get there

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Super cool! Can't wait for my ride's maiden voyage.

19. n847

n847

Thats how it works...At least the third maiden voyage didn't result in a tow truck!

20. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Woohoo woohoo i'm friggin stoked:D

You sound one happy guy, top stuff!!!! Great car.

21. mpot

mpot

I am so jealous! You're having all the fun and I'm just getting started. I just retire my '36 from the drag strip circuit (see avatar) and am getting ready to re-build it for the street. If you would, do me a favor. Measure the width of the rear fender at the apex (highest point) and let me know what you get. I am rtying to determine if a stock fender will work with my existing wheels. Thanks and congratulations!

22. That's a nice '36.....congrats, have fun with it.....

23. Nice ride! Glad ya finally got it on the road. I've had my '36 about 28 years. Gone on to other projects and hope to get it drivable again....
    This is inspiration!!!!

24. I should change my HAMB name but once I get the electrical done and a few other road worthy items finished I will get back on the Hemi powered 1929 Whippet. Once I get that one on the road, then it will be back to doing a full custom build on the 36.
    MPOT , I will measure the width tomorrow.

25. Very nice looking 36. I had a 36 5 window for a little over 10 years and sold it and still regret it.