Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cleaning a rear end housing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kramer, May 16, 2012.

1. Kramer

Kramer

I picked up an early 9 inch rearend a few weeks ago to replace the one I was going to use, but is really too wide for my T. I was told it was out of a '58 passenger car, but after searching info on ways to clean one out, I believe it is a '57. It doesn't have the two dimples that would make it a '58. Anyway I'm betting it has never been open, and it is very grimey inside. I have been trying to figure out the best way to clean the tubes. What do you guys do? I've thought about taking it to a car wash, but really don't want to leave a mess.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

car wash at 2 a.m. with no attendant

3. You want to clean the inside?

4. WELL if i was gonna do it, id make a small wooden box that the housing would fit into with some room at the end. Then go to auto zone and get the 5 gallon jug of purple power. dump the 5 gallon in the box and then fill the rest up with water untill the tubes are submerged. Let it sit for a week but every day go out and wipe it down so as to remove the layer of crud that is newly found by the pruple power. THEN take it to the car wash or borrow a pressure washer. That will take out all the grimy goop in there as well and much of the rust. be sure to through a quick layer of wd 40 on it or it will flash rust. you can do less purple power but it will take longer.

5. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

i made a brush by attaching a wire brush like a big bottle brush, to a piece of round stock and use solvent to clean the tubes along with the brush it works great,;)

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've cleaned out bare housings in my solvent tank, it's a bitch but it has to be done.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used OIl Eater, you can find it at the parts house or usually at Costco to scrub a lot of greasy engine parts. I usually dilute it about 4 to 1. I'd suggest eye protection though as it isn't fun to get on your face. It's great for cleaning the garage floor too.

8. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Take it to your local machine shop and have them clean it like they would an engine block...either hot tank it or use the "dishwasher" type cleaner followed by shot blasting. It'll come out clean enough to eat off of.

9. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

I use coleman fuel, a hudson sprayer and a long handled brush. No smoking .

10. squirrel

squirrel

Might take a few tries to find a shop with a big enough cleaner. Around here no one has an old fashioned hot tank any more, they're all using jet washers that will only hold a block.

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

soak a rag in solvent and push it through the tubes with a stick.

12. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Not too bad a job with the right approach.

You can buy a tube brush the right size with a 1/4 pipe thread on it for about 10 bucks. Make a handle long enough to get the brush through the whole housing.

A tall plastic trash can that will hold water is your next stop. A nice new "brute" can from home depot. Stop in the cleaning aisle and grab a gallon of Zep Floor Stripper.

Mix the stripper 3:1 with water. Make yourself a dipper out of the empty jug Put one end of the housing in the can, and use the dipper to pour some cleaner through the lower tube. Brush the lower tube inside. Dip, Rinse, Repeat. Scrub out the center section.

Flip the housing end for end & clean the other tube.

Then lay it in the driveway and brush the outside of it well & powerwash the crap out of it - inside & out. Or take it to the carwash & do the same thing.

Floor Stripper will remove wax, grease, acrylic floor finish, paint, skin... Be careful, wear eye protection & gloves. When you splash it on your junk, head for the shower - don't wait to finish the job on the housing.

B.

13. this is what i do. the stick i use is one of my broken hockey sticks, it has a taped knob on the end that holds the rag. think, giant Qtip

14. Low tech gets my vote. I used to use Safety Kleen on a shop rag and a handy broom stick. Just swab every thing to the center which is easier to clean. Push the rag through, give it a swirl until it comes through the center clean.

Bob

15. make an electrolisis tank out of a garbage can and stick it in therefor a few days take it out hose off the side that was in nthe tank DRY IT OFF then stick the other side in the tank and repeat cheap and easy

i just got a free 9 inch off a friend of mine said it had been laying in his back yard for atleast 10 years didnt say it was disasembled the entire time uncovered its heading for the tank soon

or you can take it apart and take it to a place that dips car parts and get it cleaned for around 200.00 thats encluding housing, backing plates, axle shafts

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A couple of cans of brake kleen (cheap at Wal mart) will get the heavy stuff. The inside of my rear end is not very pretty.:D but looks are not a prerequisite for long life.

The out side is a different story but it's easier to do.

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yep. Broom handle and old T-shirt. Clean it like a rifle barrel. Finish with kerosene or WD40 on a fresh T-shirt.

All respect to the other suggestions, but I see no need to get alot of chemicals and pressure washing involved.

18. Kramer

Kramer

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was over thinking it big time. The solvent rag and stick is how I am going to do it.
    Thanks guys.

19. A gallon of solvent in a five gallon pail along with a round toilet brush works pretty good to scrub the inside of the axle tubes and housing. Suspend the housing on end over the bucket, clean one side, then reverse the housing and clean the other side and the center of the housing. Once the crud is out, finish it up at the car wash.

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Go to a heavy equipment shop. Get them to drop it in their tank for a weekend. Clean as a whistle on Monday.

I did a 57 rear that had been closed up since 57. Gummy inside would be a understatement.

BUT if a 57/58/59 rear end is too wide for you project ... you will have to narrow one because the 57/58/59 Ford is the most narrow 9 inch made by Ford.

A 5 lug Maverick rear end is 2 inches more narrow than the 57/58/59 rear.

21. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Use a cheap toilet brush with mineral spirits (paint thinner), AMFLO solvent sprayer. Use duct tape or hose clamps to add a handle to the brush. Squirt the thinner into the tubes with a squeeze bottle, then brush away. Rinse with more thinner and the sprayer. Sprayer works really well on cleaning housings, diffs, blocks, heads, etc.

SAVE the thinner for the next dirty job - the crap will settle out to the bottom in a day or two! Works the same as cleaning solvent. - Tim

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  22. Kramer

Kramer

Deuce, the 57/58 rear is just right. I have a 62 galaxy rear that I was planning on using that is wider than I need.

Some good ideas out there, like I said, I was way over thinking the cleaning of this thing. Years ago I built my own hot tank out of a 55 gallon barrel, but do not have the desire to do that now. Don't think it needs one anyway. I just want to clean the inside up some before I reassemble it.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Got any big truck repair shops around there? They usually have a Hotsy or big pressure washers. Lippy