Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broke the easy out in the block, now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked Tin, May 16, 2012.

1. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I was installing my new waterpump in the Caddy and broke a bolt off. No big deal, I'll just drill it out and use my trusty easy out to get the bolt out. Well, not this time, the bolt isn't moving and now the easyout just broke off in the hole...what do I do now?

2. Time for a beer and wait for better answers than this one.

Sorry man but that sucks.

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

weld a washer to the remains of the bolt, weld a nut to the washer, remove the bolt.

much better than a not so easy out. has worked for me 999 times out of 1000 attempts. might have to make a couple attempts on the same bolt but its the way to do it.

4. thats gonna be hard to break out of the bolt:eek:
    i have chiseled out taps but they are a pain
    could you try to spin it backwards it is too hard to get a dent with so it will spin out

when you get the easy out out put the water pump on temporay and drill out the hole and tap and install helicoil would be the best

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

Easy outs are hard and somewhat brittle, I have used a center punch to break the remnants out.
    As far as the broken bolt goes, drilling is a slow and painful process, it may have been easier to 'weld a nut' to it but probably a little late now.

6. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'm going to second this technique. . . although I've never welded a washer on first, I've always just plug welded a nut to the broken bolt.

I think the heat from welding also helps free things up a bit.

7. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

8. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I third this method. I do this a lot at work on air brake equipment. Works like a champ!

9. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

???

10. center punch then drill with 1/8 bit on remains of easy out but plan on going through alot of bits ... your trying to hog-out the easy-out so you can sart from square one .... I feel your pain

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EZ-Outs SUCK for use on any broken bolt that broke due to rusted/seized threads. The first time I ever tried to use one was on a 59 Olds 394 intake manifold bolt, and it broke. That was in the days before EDM, so the only way to get it out was chip and dig. Took me nearly a whole day. I didn't know about the welding trick at the time. I've never used an EZ-out on any stuck bolt since. I think they fail more often than they work, especially on the rusted bolts.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Too late to weld a nut or short bolt on I'm sure. So, have a beer, start drilling and have another beer. Drill some more. Repeat with the beer until you can punch out the remains or get so drunk you don't care. Wait till tomorrow. Repeat!.

13. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

X4 I do this anytime I run across this. I sometimes weld a nut to the washer or nut right to the broken bolt.

14. F&J

F&J

That's one reason the washer works great. It makes for two heating events. And once you fill the washer hole over, then just keep piling it on to get more deep heating. Then there is a short cool down while you get the nut to weld on, then welding it, heats it back up.

The only time this has failed me, is on WW1 age cars with 3/8 fine manifold studs broken flush. The metal was brittle or something, never had much luck with those.

15. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

too late for the welding a nut to it method I think, wish I would have asked on here before I started drilling, not sure what a toggle bolt is either. Any other ideas on getting the easyout out? There wasn't much of the bolt left by the edge of the hole when I started with the easy out so really at a loss right now.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A good man with an acetylene torch can blow it out without hurting the threads in the block. I did this many times when I worked in a muffler shop, blowing broken rusted studs out of exhaust manifolds.

It takes a steady hand and some practice. If you can find someone in a muffler shop that has the knack they can fix your car in minutes.

17. Model T1

Model T1

See my post #12. Drilling with1/8th then larger is the only choice. Lots of bits and lots of time. Know any cuss words? You will!

18. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

go online and search for "homemade EDM" machine otherwise known as a tap disintegrator-uses electric arc to destroy taps or drill bits that are too hard to drill-another method that takes a lot bigger balls than I have is cutting torch!!A teacher in high school showed us explaining that you can't cut cast iron with a torch only the broken bolt or tap will cut-yea I'm not brave enough to try it either{oops Rusty beat me to it]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  19. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow night... and Fri night...Sat?

20. titus

titus

I use a carbide burr in my die grinder to slowly grind the tap away, the problem you run into is with a broken easy out is that its hard to find a bit thats harder than itself there for you will never be able to drill it out.

die grinder and a carbide burr is the way, i have one if you need to borrow it.

what size was the hole, 3/8?

And yeah, i dont use easy-outs ever, the bolt usually breaks cause they are seized.

JEFF

21. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

If there is clearence between the edge of the EZ-out and the hole it's broken in you can try wedging a ticking punch in the gap and loosening the EZ-out. If not you might see if someone with a TIG can weld something to the EZ-out. Either way, enjoy the beer.

22. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Titus, I think it's 3/8, I will give you a call tomorrow. Thanks man!

23. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

2 choices torch or carbide/diamond burr. Actually the torch can help ,use a very small tip and get the ez-out red hot which will soften it up ,or with a small cutting tip blow the f^^&er out. The only drill that will touch a ez-out or tap is carbide and they are VERY brittle ,ya want a real prob ,break one of those off in the hole.

24. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

Stud welder, then slide hammer???

25. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I recently broke 6 (yes 6, just my luck) exhaust bolts. then broke the easy out in the hole, then broke a drill bit after that in another hole. ended up taking the whole head off and going to the machine shop. moral of the story: use antiseize!

as for your situation, I would try the torch idea. I've heard this works. let us know what fix you found worked.

26. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

The easy-out is harder than the block. Hard shatters, so get your hammer and a punch or small chisel that is ground to fit and go at it. It has worked many times for me. Still sucks, but it will work. Good luck! Torch works too, in the right hands. Clean the threads with a tap afterwards.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  27. I was installing my new waterpump in the Caddy and broke a bolt off.

Not to be a smart ass but how did you break a bolt installing a new water pump ?
    Did it bottom out ? Cross threaded? Grade 2 bolts ?
    Or did the old one snap coming off ?
    Makes a difference on what would work best for getting it out.

28. silversink

silversink

google easyout extractor----Ive had good luck with these

29. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

Welding on a nut works great. Not sure about using it on an easyout though. As Titus said, a carbide bur on a die grinder works great. Still will take some time, but WAY faster than drilling.

30. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

This the way I would get rid of the easy out.