Register now to get rid of these ads!

making a metalworking sandbag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doubledawg, May 14, 2012.

1. Hey metalworking gurus! I'm gonna make a couple of home made sandbags. A neighbour was tossing a leather couch that had something broken on the frame (bent like hell, LOL) but the leather on the seat cushions was in really nice shape. I grabbed all 3 cushions and stole some sand from the boys sandbox (why not, I paid for it originally;)) and have it drying out as we speak. Anybody have any recommendations on how thick the sandbag should be when you fill it or is that more of a personal preference? Also I have 3 cushions to work with, should I make 1 big one out of 2 of the leather pieces (would be about 20"x20") and another small one from the remaining piece of leather by folding it over for a minibag (approx 9'X18") or is it a waste of time making a smaller one? Would I find that I don't end up using the little one? Just starting to play around with some tinbending and I've never even seen a sandbag in person. Have access to lots of scrap from work to practice on.
    Thanks Darren.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm not totally sure, but I think your experiment may be bound for failure.

The leather on most furniture is thin and I'm not sure it will stand up to the beating you will subject it to. As well a lot of the leather used for couches is what they call bonded leather, a thin top layer is there that will wear through or peel.

I could be wrong of course but I'm not sure the couch leather will work. I think you need a thicker oil tanned leather.

3. nickleone

nickleone

4. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Don't use sand. One of the metal shaping gurus on metalmeet.com or allmetalshaping.com told a story of watching someone else pounding on a leather bag full of sand. The light was just at the right angle and he could see dust coming out of the bag with each blow. That dust causes Silicosis. Nasty stuff. I bought some steel shot from Princess auto to fill mine.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/pro.../50-lb-Super-Steel-Shot-Sandblasting-Abrasive

The amount to fill it is personal preference. You could lay another layer of leather over the bag to be used up and thrown away as it gets used saving the bag. The seams need to be very strong as they take quite a beating. Might be easier to just buy the right bag off the bat from Eastwood or any others on the web selling them.

5. Beau

Beau

I went to the thrift store and found a fancy leather purse. It had a liner in it to help contain the sand.

6. I plan to seal the edges with contact cement and then use a heavy duty stapler from work to reinforce the edges. I dont care if the bag doesnt hold up long term, I just want to see if I have any skills before spending any cash on a proper bag. I also want to try panel beating on a ttee stump too, just havent had any neighbours cutting down any big trees lately. I will spend the money when I figure out if I have any future at bangin on tin. thanks

7. Ralph

Ralph

The storebought ones are only a foot or so around, and a couple of inches deep. Bigger isn't necessary, your just supporting where you're hammering, and your hammer's not that big. I made my first one too big, and it's a pain to lug around. Use the couch leather, what the hell, it's free. Sure, heavier would be better, but for now, use what you've got. If it splits, you've learned something.
    Ralph

8. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I use leather stitched up and filled with lead shot. Heavy duty.

9. Willy301

Willy301

I am in agreement with the use of the lead shot. Not because of silicosis...play sand doesn't have silica in it. Only silica sand has silica in it and that is what causes the silicosis. Maybe if you double or triple up the material, it will hold up longer...and give you a bag that is more appropriately sized.

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If you've got a welding helmet, take a piece of that couch leather and add it to the chin of your helmet. It'll keep your throat from getting sunburned.

-Brad

12. Thanks for confirming what I was wondering about. I thought it seemed odd to be worrying about silicosis from using sand in my sand bags when its the same stuff I tell my kids to go out and play in! LOL

I think I'm gonna knock the size of my bag down to about 12"x12" and a couple inches thick or so. I've spent a bit of time on some of the metalworking sites that I see Hambers talking about on here. Holy shit!, if I could do a 1/4 of what some of those guiys can do I would be impressing myself.:D

13. Dyce

Dyce

Sand will work fine. I use #9 lead shot in mine and I like it alot better. You can use steel shot too and it's alot cheaper. My bags are alot thicker leather then what you would find on a couch. Small handheld bags are very handy.

14. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

Some people have used the old fashioned money bags froma Bank. The leather ones that sometimes show up at flea markets.
    Bruce

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've heard that in high humidity areas, steel shot can surface rust and stick together, which makes the bag lumpy.

-Brad

16. customs by jason

customs by jason

i use sand in my bag and it works fine. your right about filling it up, its all personal preference, i like to get enough sand in it that when you hit the center with your fist you get a nice bowl shape with little pressure. then just pratice and have fun first thing and should make is bowl, your learn alot and its easy to make check out www.metalmeet.com and www.allmetalshaping.com too great sites that you can learn alot on with great guys on them.

17. I have 2 bags, a roughing bag, 22" dia made out of mule leather (the stuff they make good welding gloves out of) filled with play sand. You could beat on it for a lifetime and not inhale any more than driving down a dusty road. the seams are tripple stitched, with a velcro closing valve about 3" long. It's filled about 1/2 way, approximately 3" thick. My finishing bag is 16" in diameter, made out of full grain cowhide, filled with steel shot for a shot blast cabinet. It moves nicely under mallet and works well for me. I paid 65 each to have them made by a saddle maker.

Don't use lead shot, it compresses and doesn't move as freely and as well, the dust is deadly eventually.

As for steel shot rusting and clumping, I live on the wet coast and its never happened to me.

18. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Just make sure that there is enough sand in the bag so that it doesn't bottom out when you beat on it a while and make a pocket.
    I have one bag that is 12" diameter and another that is 20" diameter.

The dust that rises from the bag is probably shop dust...welding and grinding debris/paint/bondo/rust/whatever.

19. agreed on all accounts. tried all materials in my panel bags. Found that play sand or steel shot work the best. My first panel bag had lead shot.... eventually it clumped and the shot stopped moving. Never had an issue with my steel shot clumping, even for the year i lived in Florida....and everything rusted there in a matter of days.

Keep in mind though, if you use play sand, it will eventually break down from being used so much, and will need to be replaced.