Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beating the brake line dead horse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jack orchard, May 16, 2012.

1. jack orchard

jack orchard

Sorry to bring up an old subject, but i would like some opinions.
    Amazon is currently selling a 50' roll of 3/16" copper/nickel brake line for $59.99 w/free shipping. The listing says it is 88% copper, 10% nickel, 2% iron, and it will not rust. It seems like a good deal to me. Is it safe? Is it worth considering? Would you consider using it? If not, what do you suggest? I value your opinions very much. Thanks in advance...Jack

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

It must be a bitch, if it's 102%

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

I dont like any type of rolled tubing.

4. Rolled tubing is a little harder to work with. I use it and cuss when I do, but I use it.

The deal on the copper tubing is if it is DOT approved. If it is then it is alright and supposedly easy to work with. Make sure that it is DOT approved before you buy it.

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

How much brake line work are you doing? The reason I ask is because for 60.00 bucks you can just buy premade lenghts, probably for a whole car, plus you don't have to cut and double flare it.

6. It also double flares easier and is DOT approved. At least it was in an ad I recently viewed on Amazon. NAPA sells a version also.

Charie

7. Gromit

Gromit

Never used it. However, the guy that rebuilt my tranny recomends it because it's hard to kink.

I buy the pre cut and flared stuff. I can do a decent flare, but it's time consuming and They do it better (usually) Than me.

8. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I'll jump in with my stick and join the beating. As you probably have seen in a lot of European threads, "copper" is the only way to go over here.
    The quotation marks are because it's not pure copper, it's Cunifer, a copper/nickel/iron alloy. Which seems to be what you are looking at.

http://www.cunifer.com/

9. 6-71

6-71

Yes I am going to plumb my T-bucket with cunifer. I bought a 25 foot roll of 3/16 at the local parts store for less than $25.00 It is dot approved and legal for Pa. state inspection. They have been using it in Europe for years. Easy to work with,and does not rust away after a year or 2( I live in the heart of the rust belt).

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I stuck with the steel lengths... Where I did have to cut & dbl flare, it worked easily. Call me chicken,...I'll stay with steel......

4TTRUK

11. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

My local NAPA sells it. It comes in rolls and they will straighten it and flair it to the length I need. You might check them out.