Register now to get rid of these ads!

front clip on slick questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by few loose bolts, May 15, 2012.

1. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

i'm considering what clip to use on my 66 f100 but running into some questions. the main one i have is a matter of oil pan clearance. since the FE is a front sump, i'm wondering which clips will clear. i've seen that jag clip swap and it's by far my favorite for it's clean look, installation, and performance, but i don't know if i have the pan clearance. will i need to find a rear sump oil pan no matter what route i go with? and just to clarify, i'm trying to stay away from the djm dropped beams. any help would be great. cheers

2. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Jag would be cheaper and better than the dream beams in my opinion. Your pan issue will have to be resolved no matter what you do i think, but that is easy...

3. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

i'm thinking either i'll have to make a channel in the crossmember or find a rear sump pan and pump. didn't the 4X4 FE motors have rear sump?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

didn't the bronco's have a rear sump pan?

5. I'd go jag. Front and rear.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

For probably not too much more you could call Elpolacko and get one of his Dakota crossmember kits and put the best damn front under the truck that is out there. The Jag would be a distant second...

7. shocker998md

shocker998md

Im waiting on Elpolacko to come out with the kit for 65-66s. If it falls through ill be Jaggin.

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If ElPolacko has a kit for a 66 that would be by far your best bet.

The Jag and Volare both share the same problem...where the hell are you going to get not only a front clip, but any replacement parts? If you can't hit the corner AutoZone for say a brake caliper, you might want to rethink your clip choice.

Here is my '64 beater shop truck with an '81 Olds Cutlass front clip. Low enough to look cool, but not so low that I can't still bang around in a junk yard. She rides, handles, steers and stops perfectly and I did it in a weekend for about 200 bucks.

[​IMG]

Lots of ways to get your truck low, hit the search button and give it some thought before you cut anything off or spend any cash.

Good luck, -Abone.

9. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

jag front end is the simplest, cleanest, and cheapest way i've found and has the best performance such as 4 piston brake calipers. parts are readily available. last i heard Elpolacko wasn't doing the dakota clips anymore but i could be wrong and i'd be very happy to go that route. my only concern with going jag on the rear would be whether it can take the torque of a big block

10. Larry T

Larry T

He's started doing them again. Got the 61-64 ready to ship, says 53-56 are next (I'm waiting on one of these) and then a clip for the twin I-beam trucks.

It's all on his website.
    Larry T

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/Web-blog/

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Elpolacko and I spent allot of time talking in the truck going to and back from Austin for Round Up. Topic of discussion frequently was '65 '66 Ford trucks and Dakota kits for the same. I haven't had time lately to be hanging around the shop, but I wouldn't be at all suprised if the '65 '66 kit is already on the computer and ready to import to the plasma cutter.

12. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

any ballpark of his prices?

13. Larry T

Larry T

According to his post on the F-100 group, $750.00 for the crossmember kit. Probably not the cheapest way to start, but I don't think suspension is the best place to cut corners on price. I plan to use my 56 to tow a trailer, so it'll be nice to have a pickup suspension to start with.

I'll bet he'll check out this tread and jump in here.

Larry T

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=29243

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  14. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

anyone have any insight on how much torque the jag rear ends can handle? i know some people don't like the idea of a truck having an independent rear but this is my daily and personally i think it'd be pretty cool

15. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

youll catch s*it for dropping the jag name too much on here, i did. doesnt mean i wont use it. either option above is a step in the right direction. good luck and post pix.

16. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

i kinda figured i'd receive some heat but hey, i'm the one driving it.

17. mattrod68

mattrod68

the 4x4's are rear sump, there out there used if you look around and milodon makes the pan as well

matt

18. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

thanks matt. much appreciated.

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

20. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

yeah and i considered it, but i don't like that you need special offset wheels, and even with that you can't really go too low before having turning clearance issues

21. shocker998md

shocker998md

talk to z man about the jag rear. thats what he has in his buick.

ive talked to steve about the 65 66 kit from him and its in the works. Im going to hold out and wait for his kit. Yes it will be more money then the jag, but if just clipping the truck isnt low enough for ya you can then play with drop springs and spindles since theres an after market for dakota stuff. And if Ive read right, theres some dodge stuff that swaps over to the dakota kit so I can keep 5x5.5 wheels all around.

22. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Early Broncos had sixes and 289/ 302s. Never had a 390

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You honestly won't regret doing Industrial Chassis kit. Most know that Elpolacko is one of my better friends and figure I'm just shilling for his product... I am, kinda. The ride and the handling that the dakota kit he puts out will endow your truck is beyond description. I have done or helped with every major clip or front suspension install on lots and lots of trucks over the years. I have driven stuff sprung by straight axles, Camaro clips, Volare clips, chevelle clips, Torino clips, Mustang II stretched every which way. Been there done that. His Dakota clips work so well because of a special magic... It's a truck front end placed under a truck with truck geometry! The roll center is where it should be to make stuff feel planted and not at all tail happy like most clips. The other cool thing is how damned easy they are to install. The old kits were about as simple and fool proof as they got, but the new ones are even better! I got to play with production kit #1. Things like boxing plates that only fit one way, index from a factory alignment holes and support frame lips as well as well as the crossmember. holes for stuff that is indexed so one won't fit the wrong hole and things such as that.

You'll dig it, and it will be worth the wait.

24. yes the broncos had a rear sump, but the broncos all had sixes or small blocks...the FE is a big block.