Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happens when it's over

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, May 15, 2012.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I can't speak for everyone, but what happens when it's over, as in......... "Roll a 7"
    This conversation first came up in 1998, a few months after I awoke from a coma and loosing a leg, after a grey old lady hit me head-on while at Daytona Bike Week.... riding my Harley.
    I don't have a family member that would even be interested in the Automobile, Truck, Motorcycle & parts and tools that I've collected in the last 45 years.
    Most of my friends are my age, they have about the same stuff as I do, such as Blocks, Rear-ends, wheels w/tires, jacks, trailers, tool boxes, etc.
    I told my Ole' lady to advertise the stuff, and she said that not only does she not know the values, but she doesn't want a bunch of strangers coming to the door at all hours.
    Even my vehicles, how much are they worth? What if she can't sell them?
    Anyone else think about this?

PS: No...you can't have my stuff (Or my Ole' Lady!)

2. slim tempo

slim tempo

I'm leaving a will that shows all the hiding places where I keep the good shit!

3. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I don't have an answer for you. I've been thinking about the same thing.
    Tom

4. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

As of now...
    Pops gets first dibs,
    Best man gets second
    Richard d gets third....
    Hamb auction the rest (seriously)

I have enough insurance on me that the material belongings that mean nothin to her can go we're they're most needed...

Kid clause in there bumping them to number one...

5. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I informed my wife to have a large auction after I'm gone. Told her which auctioneer to use and where to advertise. Also warned her not to let any "well-meaning friends" go thru my (now her) stuff. Just told her my brother gets his pick of tools and things I got from our Dad. If I don't go suddenly-I'll slowly sell some of the stuff off. alex

6. oldolds

oldolds

Call the auctioneer. Trust me some things might go cheap, but the things you don't care about will go for too much and it will all balance out. I play with some general antiques and about every other year give my no sale, excess inventory to an auctioneer. Every time the total is more than I expect even after his fee's.

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

My kids get it all!

8. Heo2

Heo2

Last weekend i helped the sons of a friend who died 2
    weeks ago go through
    his colection.A sad moment seing things we built
    together and things we were going to do together
    now they are for sale or given away

9. Fenders

Fenders

Good answer.
    And if you're worried about it now... you won't be then !!

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

LOL my wife already knows where mine are,
    All my kids have a wish list of what they want,my {16yr}daughter started when she was 4-6yrs old asking when you die can i have ___?WTF was she gonna hit me in the head W/ a BFH?:D i used to worry about this but all it 'caused was headaches,
    like Kona Cruisers said the rest i would do a Hamb auction or donate the rest to here,--chuck

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm making a list of what it's all worth so she doesn't get taken advantage of. There's some folks close to me who think everything I have is worthless, and some who'd smell a fart to get their hands on any of it. It's not something that anybody wants to think about, but guys much younger than I have checked out suddenly. I mean think about it for a minute. There's people dyin today that never died before...

12. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I'm taking it with me!

13. n847

n847

I've got a son...He's only 2 but its all his, unless my wife wants to give some stuff to my daughter! If my wife would go with me then my brother and dad will split it all up, including my kids:O

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nobody in my family really knows the value of my various collections. it would be a great estate sale for buyers. I'm sure 1000's of $$$ worth of good old junk would end up in the dumpster as well.:(

15. st.rod

st.rod

Funeral at 10. Garage sale at 2.

Sell your crap (treasures) now. A close friend had the big C, knew he was going to checkout, so he had an estate sale. Seemed kinda strange, myself and all our friends rummaging through his stuff with him in the garage. But it was cool and he did not leave that burden on his wife. I admire him for it. R.I.P. Ken

Larry

16. X 2. Kinda sad when there is nobody to inherit your pride and joy. Worse yet is when there is someone to inherit it but they have zero interest in it other than how much $$$$ they can get for it!:mad:

17. codeblu

codeblu

My son.....total motorhead....

18. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Do you have a younger friend? I'm 30 and just now getting into bikes and cars but one of my good freinds who is in his sixties and has cancer, infozemia and all that other fun stuff that comes from 40+ years of living the biker lifestyle has said he wants me to have all his toys when he moves on.

19. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

Last week one of my in-laws uncles died unexpectedly leaving an upholstery shop, gun business and drag racing stuff scattered all over. Receipts for storage units that no one was aware of etc....

Now the family is having to do detective work to figure out what's what and where it is. They'll face severe legal issues if they don't handle the firearms records / inventory correctly.

I guess I'm fortunate. I don't own anything too expensive and I certainly wouldn't want anyone fighting over it.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it may be over quicker than you think. ones with Family that would want the stuff left behind or would know it should not all go in dumpster are lucky. most likely have either no one in Family that wants old furniture much less old car parts or no Family. sure plenty has been sent to the dump over the years. most don't even have a legal Will on file some place.

21. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

This is something everybody should have laid out in a will or trust. I found out yesterday that my ex passed away a few weeks back and she had not updated her will in several years. She has several million dollars in assets, a large portion of which will unnecessarily go to the state and attorneys before it is all over with. A trust would have avoided this.

22. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

If you know you're going liquidate it yourself and save your loved ones the trouble. If you get taken out like the OP at least have a will and some instructions on who you want to take care of what.

It will take you a few hours to list assets and a liquidator to handle them. Just remember to keep it updated and don't put a value on anything yourself. Let the free market take care of that so no feelings are hurt.

23. Model T1

Model T1

Holey crap, I'm not the only old fart that's been thinking about this.

First, sorry about the accident. Seem to remember that because we always went to Bike Week and Bikefest.

That's sort of kinda why I joined this forum. Maybe see what my little bit of crap is really worth and maybe get some other fool to pay good money for it!
    Plans change almost daily. Three kids live in Illinois but the youngest moved to Florida with us. He's the real car guy. Others don't know or care crap about old iron. In fact this 22 year old has done most of my work since I got old and lazy. He can weld and do a little body work. But he amazes me with wiring and mechanical stuff. He loves old cars!
    So, plan was to give him all my tools and car junk.
    Well, he got in with redneck mudboggers and lost all my tools and ruined his show El Caminio. Yep, mudbogged a 1976 El Camino show car. Now he lives with other rednecks and they scrap every piece of metal they get their hands on.I can just see my junk going to the crusher for a dollar.
    Wife loves old cars but does not drive or know shit about car parts or the value of a Henway.
    Yep, been doin a lot of thinkin. Friends who like old cars are cheap asses, like most car guys. They'd rip her off. Son would sell stuff cheap or scrap it. auctioneers around her don't know a street rod from a John Deere. Kinda been wonderin and worryin too!

24. Beau

Beau

I will be happy. Because I'm working on enjoying life NOW, and not when I'm retired and old.

Hard work and good credit don't get you a damn thing when you are old and sick.

Living life to the fullest and being happy while you're young is what it is all about.

25. sled56

sled56

Here in South Australia you can but a legal will kit for about &30.00 from the local post office, they are supported by the government and you can update them cheaply.
    My mate gets my Harley,s and the wife has the rest.
    I keep telling my mate, who has 9 bikes, to get off his arse and buy a will kit so none of us has to sort out the collection if he goes suddenly.
    My motto, be prepared and don,t leave a mess for your family and friends.

26. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Last year I bought a car from an older gentleman. I got a screaming deal on it only because he liked me. The guy told me he didn't have much time left (emphysema) and wanted to know where his cars were going before he died. Apparently he was right about not having much time, the guy died a few months later. I'm pretty young by HAMB standards but if I get to the point where I know the gig's up I'll do the same thing. At least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing where my pride and joy has gone before I'm gone.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm gonna drive into the white light.

28. What happens when it's over?

You're dead

29. grabrr

grabrr

I hope it's better than what happened to one of my best friends stuff.
    My friend was never married, no kids, no women (unless you count the ones you pay)
    He got sick and died within 6 months, then the vultures started circling....
    I feel sick typing this, I was offered a few things, but turned them down, I wasn't his friend to get his stuff.
    I've told my wife to do what she can, but I want my car keys in my pocket when they bury me.

30. Model T1

Model T1

Sadly the American dream is gone and things don't look too stable for anyone now. No matter what plans we make for our old cars, the new rules may cause them all to be scrapped and turned into coffee pots or funny looking little electric cars.
    The persons we leave them to may lose their jobs and have to also give up the toys we left to them.
    A lttle over a year ago I actually visited that light another mentioned. Yes, it was there. The Devil didn't want me and Heaven was full so here I am. But, it sure makes me think about the future, or lack of it! We all know we can't take it with us. So guess we may as well enjoy our junk while we are still here. Even if it's just walkin out to the shed and staring at it.
    It's a cruel cruel world we now live in.

Saw the above post. Had an old friend back in Illinois die about a year ago. He had some neat old stuff. Talk about vultures. His kids were sellin his stuff before the casket was closed!

"Married with Children", Al Bundy, buried his Dodge in the back yard. That's an idea!