Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Jerry, you seriously need to think about a career change!!!! Your work is just great! I bow before you, Oh "Great Laboranti".......keep at it and keep posting......I love to watch you work!

By the way.......nice trunk lid!! 8^)

CB

2. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I AGREE!Build Hot Rods,and play the Sax on the side!!!:D

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Had about an hour tonight so I went and picked up my master cylinder from AutoZone. I'm using an early 60's Chevy truck dual with the set of original Ansen pedals that came with my car. In order to use this master cylinder you have to swap the guts from one side to the other because the brake and clutch ports are reversed. I read several posts on here about how to do it..but no pics. I thought I'd post up some..maybe they can help someone else. It's pretty easy..I just never did it before because i've used other master cylinders.

take off the nipples

[​IMG]

get a pair of good snap ring plyers ( not the shitty Chinese ones I have that fell apart in the process) and take out the snap rings and pull out the pistons

[​IMG]

On the brake side there is a small rubber seal that has to be carefully pried out. Mine popped out pretty easily
    [​IMG]

There's the bugger
    [​IMG]

Swap the guts of each into the opposite side including the rubber brake seal..reinstall the clips and done.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Installed on the firewall.
    [​IMG]

Also heated and tweaked my pedals slightly to get them where I wanted em

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Koz

Koz

Very nice! Of course you Know my penchant for swing pedals. Very much like "El Diablo". In fact your whole car sets like the old 1/4 miler. I had a chance to check this one out on Saturday night and I can attest the pics don't do it justice, especially that Edmunds Hemi. This is gonna be brutal on the streets of Wildwood this year.

Keep bangin'.

6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

After work I headed right out to the shop and managed to fabricate and install the complete floor for the 32. I dusted off the old bead roller and put some X's in it to beef it up. I made these out of 16 guage. I bent 1/2 inch edges and the pans dropped right into the cross channels after some careful measuring.

Have to get a tranny shifter and mount it up before making the tranny tunnel. I'm going to have the front floor sections bolt down. I don't like to weld in those in case I have to get to the tranny. Some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. fleetside66

fleetside66

That's a lot of work in a short time...nice evening for it, Jerry...lookin' good. That's a good idea to have the front panels removable. I had to remove mine once & it made me realize that bolting them in was one of my smartest moves.

8. Noland

Noland

looking great, thanks for the pictures of the master cylinder conversion.

9. sk8erdave

sk8erdave

Liking this rod :) Not how I would have done it but not my car. But I reckon it shows an alternate way of rodding the most popular choice of early thirties iron. Although I prefer chopped tops, your car shows how with the right approach a cool ride can still be made imho. I'm liking the induction set up and that interior is cool as.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished car :) Subscribed also.

10. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

As usual TOP NOTCH work--lookin real good!:D

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Working on replacing the panel under the decklid..should have it finished by tomorrow then the body is ready to come off for the last time.

Last night I stripped and painted my wheels and this morning I went for tires and tubes and got em on. I live pretty close to universal vintage tire which is nice. Fitted my packard wheel covers and center caps too. Also cleaned up and installed my generator tach drive. I've got some cloth wire covering that I'm going to use on top of the cable.

Got some new door hardware from Mac's which I also installed. The doors are opening and closing better and the gaps are good. Also installed my windshield frame upper body hinges and got the windshield functioning.

[​IMG]

The wheel covers still have the original lacquer paint on them which still have a shine to them.
    [​IMG]

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

13. Koz

Koz

Man those caps are super fine! I'll have to stop over and see what they look ike on the car. I see you also got your tach drive. Probably one of the coolist items on the whole car.

I'm lovin' it! Keep bangin. Wildwood will be here before you know it.

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the panel under the decklid welded in and the tail lights installed.

Drilled two 3 and 1/2 holes out of the panel and welded on two small tabs in the circle. One on top like a stock 37 Chrysler housing and a threaded tab on the bottom for the mounting screw.

The tabs on the side of the hole are bolt tabs to hold the tail light bucket. I made these out of exhaust tubing and welded a big washer on the back. I have another large washer drilled and tapped that goes on top to hold the tail light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  15. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

WOW,them lights are ass kickin!!!:D

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

finished up the last of the metalwork tonight..ready to tear her down for body and paint

[​IMG]

17. fatabone

fatabone

Thats really looking good Jerry! I'll have the shifter for you at the Showdown unless you need it sooner and want to stop by.

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Been a little while since I updated my thread. Did some tidying up of some areas on the body that I couldn't live with. Fixed the wheel wells and some other places. Koz came over to help with fabricate a set of headers. We have the driver side just about finished. Figured we'd do this before yanking the body just in case. We have some trimming to do but they'll tuck into the frame nicely.

Attached Files:

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Another pic

Attached Files:

20. nice job !!! gonna make it to the showdown???

21. the vonstripers

the vonstripers
    from france

kool jerry, hurry-up, i'm come back in september
    i don't want to mess a run.
    steph

22. brady1929

brady1929

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Kickass Jerry!!! Those headers look great!

24. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

We should have the headers wrapped up by Sunday. In the mean time I scored this neat little oil change reminder thing from 3wlarry that I'm going to put somewhere in the car when it's done. Never seen one before. Has an arm on the side so I can wind it back to zero too and actually use it

Attached Files:

25. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

lookin good cant wait to see it!

26. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Love them headers, awesome!

27. Hot damn Jerry, I agree with Brucie, this thing is so nice. I can't wait to see it! Looking forward to running into you at the Showdown!

28. fordpatina

fordpatina

awesome project

29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

We reworked the driver side header so it could come on and off without pulling the steering box

Attached Files:

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Headers done and welds dressed last night working on the driveshaft exhaust under the frame tonight

Also got the rest of the old interior from Tim when we met up at the jalopy showdown. Luckily the upholsterer who redid his seats painstaking removed the old stuff one tack at a time without ripping anything.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012