Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 brl or 3 duece

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, May 15, 2012.

1. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

Finally have all the bugs worked out of my Model A. It has a 283 bored 30 over, pretty much stock cam, with a quadrojet 4 barrel, 350 turbo . It runs really good but have been thinking about changing it up a bit. I have a couple of Elerbrock 3 duece set up (355 and 357)and the carbs and elco linkage.

So are most of you out there really running all 3 carbs or blocking off all but the center one? Not sure I want to have just a 2 barrel. But I really do like the look of the 3 duece.

Thoughts?

2. run them if you got them. Quadrojet seem more likely to over carb than tri power

3. pchop51

pchop51
    from minnesota

I have 3x2 on my 265 and love it. I wouldn't trade it for any 4 barrel ever. If you have access to a setup I would use it and run a progressive linkage you won't be disappointed. It just takes some time to tune it right that's all.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Very few guys with trips are only running on the center carb, it is usually the ones with 6 or 8 carbs who block the end ones off like that. There is no reason 3 carbs on a 283 won't work well as long as they are setup properly and connected through progressive linkage.

Don

Last edited: May 15, 2012

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

It'll waste more gas but you'll still be happer. Its fucken cool, even if you dont hook up the other 2 at all.

When it came time to rebuild the carbs, I only got 1 good one. One of the bases was so stuck it made for a good blockoff CARB, witch is better than a blockoff plate.

Attached Files:

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first set of trips that I did in the 70s were fakes. I made my own block off plates with a Pepsi can. I didn't know what I was doing. I did not miss the 2 carbs. A single Rochester was plenty enough to propel my 34 P/U with a 307.

This time around I built my own secondary carb using the parts from Vintage speed. As we speak the secondaries are blocked off. I plan to open them up after I get the bugs worked out. Once it's painted and on the road I'll open them up and play with them.

To me... 3 deuces are strictly for looks. They personify old time hotrods for me. They are not really high performance. You will go faster with a 4 bbl but look cooler with 3 deuces.:D JMO

7. Tommy R

Tommy R

I assumed that to be the case (single 4bbl better for performance to a 3x2 setup), but I agree that it just looks cooler. And for me, I'd be willing to give up some performance (and tuning time!) to run three Deuces on my AV8.

I do recall a recent issue of Hot Rod or some such publication that tested a wide variety of vintage style carb setups. If I recall, the 3 Deuce setup was suprisingly close in performance to the single, modern 4 bbl! I believe it was the Speedway 3x2 setup. Quite impressive....

8. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

getting some good advice here. Any one know the difference in the 355 and 357 intake?

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

If these are small block chevy displacements, all sbc are the same.

10. skwurl

skwurl

I'm running all three on mine. It's an 11:1 383 and it's stupid fast. A good 4bbl will give you better performance but you lose a ton of cool points

11. Smaller ports on the '55 heads. Maybe '56 too?

12. tracer55

tracer55
    from ohio

Sorry, the 355 or 357 refer to the numbers on the Elderbrock intakes not the cubes of the motor.

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Does that refer too 3-bolt vs 4-bolt carbs?

14. Look at the ports on the intake. Are they smaller on the C355?

15. carbking

carbking

According to the catalog:

C355 fits 1955 and 1956 Chevrolet 265 and 283 engines. These were released two ways:

Cat # 1860 4-bolt flange
    Cat # 1870 3-bolt flange

C357B fits 1956 Corvette 283 and 1957 Chevrolet 283. Again, these were released two ways:

Cat 1925 4-bolt flange
    Cat 1930 3-bolt flange

Installation kits were available for either Stromberg (3-bolt) or Rochester (4-bolt). The standard installation kit was for simultaneous operation. Two other kits, called combination kits, were available that would allow for progressive installation.

Jon.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

17. TRI-POWERED

TRI-POWERED
    from Missouri

Hello, I build 3x2's for a living and blocking the carbs just suck you shouldnt even have a Tri-Power if you want to block the carbs. I vote for a tri power full powered. If you need any advice let me know! I've built countless bullet proof 3x2 systems.

18. As Carbking stated, the 355 is only for 1955 and 1956 SBC. It has very small ports and may not work on later engines. I had to swap my 355 for a 357.

I run all three carbs. Blocking two carbs off wouldn't be the same. It's kind of a pain at times and I'm sure a 4-barrel would perform better but I love the nostalgia of it.

19. 39 Ford

39 Ford

There is a lot of information both here and on the internet about setting up the system. I have a large notebook filled with tech info,look for it and you will be surprised whats out there.

20. scars

scars

Sorry to hijack this thread but as there is a lot of information coming out about the manifolds I thought some one could help me with a couple of problems i have. I've got an Edelbrock C362 manifold. This is for the big base Rochesters, the carbs seem to sit a lot lower than a lot of other manifolds I have seen. When the carbs are in place you can't fit the water neck on as it hits the bowl.Was there a special waterneck for these?
    The question is, If the large Rochesters flow around the 350 cfm would running all three be too much for a SB Chev. Can anybody help me with this.

21. Do you have a pic of the carbs and manifold? There must be a water neck that fits. Worst case, you could run spacers, I think.

22. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

My engine made 587hp with a race tuned Holley 4 brl. and HVH ported Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake.

It was not what I wanted and had to argue with my engine builder about it. With the 3X2 setup it made 541hp and looks WAY better. JMO.

I'll give up 46 horsepower for this.....

Attached Files:

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 1598.jpg You cant beat a 4 barrel ....Tri power is just cool and yes run all three.................

24. GOT 3 SMALL ROCHESTER ON A 283 BORED TO 327 and stroked to get it there got progressive and set it so it wont even hardly open, but it looks cool, just sounds like a plugged hoover vacume if I dump the end ones anyhow
    but its really cool looking with the fined OTB air cleaners that are color cordinated with the car color:D
    i love it and would never go to a 4 barrel and it seems to get good mileage
    oh its a roadster not runing the hood most of the time:rolleyes:

25. scars

scars

Saxman
    Here are a couple of pics, what's interesting is that from what I have read is that these manifolds were designed to go on the Vette's and the pads were lower to keep the carbs under the hood. I can't see why they would then put a spacer on as this would stuff up the height. This is why I am curious about the waterneck. Also curiuos about the size of the carbs on a SB. Interested to hear what others think.

Attached Files:

26. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run 3 Stromberg 48's on my T. It is the look I wanted and none are blocked off !

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  27. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey running 3-2's with the end carbs blocked off is like smoking pot with your friends and not inhaling. Looks cool but you just dont get the kick and when they find out they quit hanging out with you. Yeah one good 4 bbl will run better but you cant beat the sound of the dueces wide open.

28. 53 ford

53 ford

Response to post 25. Turn your carbs around.

29. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Just got my 3 94's setup with a progressive linkage and working on my 55 chevy truck with a stock 350...Drove it to Knoxville and back my best gas mileage was 21 MPG's, quite economical for a hot rod in my opinion. With a few parts from Vintage Speed the carbs run beautifully and the truck is stupid fast when you floor it.

30. This shouldn't even be a question. One of the few things you can never have too many of is carburetors.