Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boston Ma area - Street Racing in 60's remember this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, May 3, 2012.

1. Thanks Jack;couldn't remember Ed's name. Tom Steed worked at Davidson when I first met him.He had the Daytona Blue 53 or 55 Studebaker with a 283 in it.Also had his 55 Chevy 2 door gasser same color and Bunny had the 34 coupe with the 57 Olds in it.I think Mike was just starting there at the time.My first wife worked in the office there in the mid 60's right out of high school.
    By the way do you have Tom O'Connells phone #? I tried looking it up but no success.Need to get hold of him to see if he has any pics of Bob Steele's F/C. Somebody I know is looking for some.

2. Misplaced

Misplaced
    from NH

The car I remember had a full hood. Saw it a few times cruising around with the Green Metalflake one . Was the A and B Gasser`s name changed later on? Pretty sure I I remember it along with a white Vette In the same garage.The name on the Vette was joint venture.

3. Church Key

Church Key

Was the Metal Shop in Medford ?

4. Misplaced

Misplaced
    from NH

Yes Peter Jones was the owner. He had worked for Tropeano (sp) chassis then later bought it and changed the name. Moved the shop to Medford in the mid 70`s.

5. 1930u

1930u
    from midwest

Man how did that 409 live with a 4:88 cog? Really cool car.

6. 409 had a short stroke.......shifted 7 to 7500 rpm

7. my grandfathers body shop was new method auto body on mystic ave then behind Mt Vernon in somerville

8. ever see Bob peaveys red 34 coupe...Pontiac motor from boars and a lasalle trans

9. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

BC post some pix of it

10. Church Key

Church Key

I remember that shop...I stopped in one day in 1979 and he had a big box of old 60's drag racing magazines he was selling for a quarter a piece. I bought five bucks worth...should have bought the whole box.

11. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

did bill mello run this as the mis-fit?

12. You guys really drove around with your cars back then, Malden to Quincy etc...

I lived in Brookline and Quincy 76-85 (I'm 45) but was too young to be part of this stuff. I had a friend down the street Sammy had a sweet black 69 RS/RSS Camaro, big and littles on SST's, maybe you remember it. Got keyed toward the end. He used to live on Kemper Street in Quincy.

13. I asked my dad tonight, we went on a parts run, after I tuned up my son's mothers car....he knows Buddy George

Here are some more pics..

My dads 55 and my moms white Corvair - these were taken behind the Mt. Vernon Cafe/Restaurant in Somerville, right next to Sullivan Sq MBTA Station, this is where my grandfather moved his shop when he left Medford...his shop was part of land taken for Route 93 I believe. I need to have some of these pics blown up...you can see the blue spray tint on the windows pretty good in a couple of these pics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. 409, 850 Holley on top..

[​IMG]

15. My dad in the pits at Indy in 68, he didnt race there, but I think they knew some people there, maybe through work (automotive field)

[​IMG]

16. I dont have any on hand, there is a pic hanging at PV, I will get by there and snap a pic of it with my phone, then upload it.

17. Some great old pictures there! My best frined's dad owned Buddy' Diner in Somerville.Just off McGrath Highway but don't remember the street name.All the truckers would stop there to eat as well as a few,"ladys of the evening".It was right down the street from Daley's Cafe aka the Bucket of Blood.Don't ever remember driving by there without seeing at least one police cruiser there with the doors open like they had made a hasty exit to go inside.Ventured inside once for about 30 seconds;DEFINITELY not a friendly place.
    Lots of great memories around there.My friends brother and sister still run the diner I believe.Sadly Don and his dad are both gone now.

18. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

BC one day when I can off my dead ass I need to get out to Ritchie Willette's garage to have him do some work on a grille shell for me and probably my model A chassis . I AM DEFINATELY stoppin into PV just wanna reminice abit. I am really missing that part of the world. I live in central Mass and work in Western Mass. I feel so freaking outta touch with civilization. Come to think of it I used to date a chic from Lynn back in early to mid 80s

19. I know that diner!

20. Boston area car show way back in the day...

[​IMG]

21. I think Dennis Rota may have painted that Corvette at John Silva's shop in Cambridge/Somerville in the early 1970's. The T looks like it has a Vintage Wheels plaque and may be Bob Anderson's Personali-T.I can't read what is on the radiator.

22. I am going to carefully remove them from the photo album, scan to get them bigger individually....

myself, I like all the pics but the INDY ones are pretty sick

23. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

BC is that blue 55 stiil around?

24. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is another picture from the Edmund St. garages. Jim Mahan driver of The Hard Guys A/FD checking things out at the begining of the 1970 season. We had just repainted chassis and body over the winter. This was my favorite paint scheme, the green and gold stripes.

25. wow, where is that? very nice!