Register now to get rid of these ads!

Giving away my Restoration Shop Business

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr Diablo, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Thank you so very much, and all the very best to you to..

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow man, cool! What a great thing you are doing!
    Too bad I'm a self centered bastard who has never thought of anyone other than myself or I'd put my name in too!
    Someone said that would come back to bite me one day!

Doc.

3. Retroline

Retroline

Heart of GOLD Arthur, I knew you were a GOOD GUY!

4. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I heard you speak on ABC? radio the other day, & saw your story in the paper, well done, maybe it'll encourage others to follow your lead, in looking out for those in need. Thankyou!

5. Rok 51

Rok 51

What a great thing you are doing Arthur. Hope all the plans work out.
    Now all you U.S. guys need to start saving some cash to make it over here to one of the best Rockabilly events in Australia. Even better when Arthur lets us all know of the plans of the second event. Pauline and I will be at that one as well.

Rocky.

6. Thank you ...

7. Thanks Rocky & Pauline for your kind words..And yes America come over to one of Australia's best Rockabilly Festivals we would love you here..(Rocky I can tell you that the new Festival will be 15th-17th Feb 2013).

8. wanabe28

wanabe28

I've heard it will be in Ballarat. Do I win the prize?:rolleyes:

9. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Guess 'trad' ain't too lucrative down under..........

10. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

Wow your a bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope some one can keep it a go!!!!

11. Wow, you are one of the most generous people ever, gives you some real faith in humanity.
    I hope all goes well with your new venture, and that the new owner keeps up your good work.

12. PaulD

PaulD

Well done.

I haven't heard of such generosity in Australia for a long time. Conrgatulations to the guy that gets the lucky break.

I find it amaising that in one part of the country we have 2000 jobs up for grabs in positions that we can't fill paying huge incomes and then in other areas people are on the long time unemployed list. At the moment we are paying our guys about $120,000 per year and also offering relocation / housing and we can't get decent tradesmen/ women.
    I work in a mining area but you don't need to work for a mine to earn high incomes. Supporting roles earn just as much.

All the best with your quest, you are a true Australian. My hat is off to you. I give a fair bit of my time to the community and so does my wife and I see so many people who just go home and watch television of a night time instead of going and helping out with something in the town and complain that the town sucks. My belief is we all live here let's make it a better place by helping just a little bit. You have taken it just that one step further. Well Done!

Man you have HUGE goolies

13. Arthur, the world is a better place with people like you.

14. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Very cool, I liked he video. It would be really cool to see some young talented kid grab a hod of the chance and make it work. Good luck with the deal!

15. Thanks Alex

16. Very kind of you to say thank you

17. A little up date... I have had thousands of emails and calls it has gone crazy, a lot of scammers out there which is very sad, but then there are allot of people that really need a break, I have been seeing quite a few already and all they see is the $$$ sign..I have more people to see this week and I have 2 families coming for a interview and both guys are quite capable, I will keep you all posted

18. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Great to hear of the little guy helping others and best of luck on your new adventure. Now for the rich and richer top loaded people open there hearts to others.

19. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

What an amazing act of generosity.

20. From todays News Paper

Ashley McKenner with his daughters Holly, 3, and Abby, 10 months. Picture: Stephen Harman Herald Sun

PASSION over bravado gave a single father of two the edge over 3000 other would-be business owners trying to snare a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Arthur Matsakos provides a top panel show

Ashley McKenner, 26, was chosen from thousands of freewheelers beating down Arthur Matsakos's door after he decided to give away his Camperdown panel beating shop free.

Mr McKenner penned an email to the generous business owner after going to Centrelink to get financial help to bring up his daughters, Holly, 3, and Abby, 10 months.

But he didn't hold much hope of success - he even forgot about it until told the good news last week.

"I just sat down, wrote the email and thought I'd give it a go - I didn't think I'd hear back from him," he said.

"I was lost for words when he told me."

Mr McKenner has been out of a job for more than 12 months.

Thanks to his emotion-charged email, he has a $150,000 fully equipped panel-beating shop and full customer list built up over nine years.

Mr Matsakos was swamped with requests from around the nation - and even Greece.

But it was the 185-word email from Mr McKenner that caught his attention.

"He was very passionate and wanting a good life for himself, his kids and he just wants to pass on the panel-beating knowledge he has to other young people," Mr Matsakos said.

"His email wasn't about him telling me how good he was - it was about how he cared for others."

Mr McKenner started out panel beating as a 16-year-old apprentice and always dreamed of owning his own business.

"I never thought I'd have it at 26 though," he said.

Mr McKenner will begin work this week and his white knight will stay on for several months.

THE HEARTFELT EMAIL THAT SEALED THE DEAL

My name is Ashley McKenner, age 26; I'm a qualified panel beater and live in Echuca, Victoria.
    I would like the chance to be considered for this opportunity to run your workshop; not only will I keep your pensioner discounts and give always as mentioned I would also add training to young men or even women to teach them the trade and show them what accomplishment comes from not only repairing a vehicle but restoring one.
    I have three goals in life, my first is to provide for my two children and their needs, second is to run my own panel shop and thirdly is to teach the trade I was taught.
    I have not been able to find work in my profession for the last year to year and a half, I went through without any payments from government up until the last 6 months, only to help give a guiding hand to the upbringing of my two girls. I am willing to move to better my life and provide where needed.
    I would love to hear back from you.
    Yours thankfully,
    Ashley McKenner

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  21. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Arthur, You sir are a true humanitarian.

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

23. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

That's awesome!

Arthur you are a good man!

Best of luck to Ashley.

24. Sounds like the right choice. Good for you, great hand up (not out) for Ashley.

Do something great and let us know how the next chapter of your life plays out.

Thank you.

25. It gives me a feeling I have never felt before.....A good feeling..

26. striper

striper

Oh. I thought you were going to say "unemployed".

Good work Arthur. Keep us informed of how Ashley is going.

Pete

27. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Arthur, Bravo!

Congratulations. You're a good man.

HC.

28. hotrodgypsy

hotrodgypsy
    from reading,pa

Wow,what a offer and man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!he's the rodder's rodder !

29. zep058

zep058

Amazing Arthur, glad you found your perfect candidate.

30. Bravo Arthur....

Makes me proud to know you.

Congrats to Ashley you can NEVER replace passion and you deserve the opportunity.

WISE choice Arty !!

Rat