Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Enough monkeying around: let's build a 5w, or another 4dr bites the big one.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Dec 22, 2011.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Tonight's no good, gotta work late, maybe over the weekend at some point?

2. Ok, there in the trunk of the Shoebox, give me a call when your ready.

3. Both of us on the streets for the first time and getting back home without issues...lets pat each other on the back...lol
    I took the J to a cruise night tonight, and made it back ha ha

4. I had to go to page 1 to see when you started working on this project. I knew you did it fast but - WTF! Please go take a nap, because there is no way you slept much over the last 5 months. AWESOME!

5. Attached Files:

6. 55chevr

55chevr

That is a good start to a coupe project for a Bonneville racer. Just so damn far to go and also Customs BS ... Be really good for someone in Canada.

Joe

7. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Andy
    Keith's been telling me about your build tread. The only thing I would have done different is leave the door handle hole in the quarter.
    UNBELIEVABLE EFFORT , DESIRE , WORK AND RESULT !!!!!!
    YOU ARE A HOT RODDER
    LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HER IN AUGUST
    KEN

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks again guys, been driving it around quite a bit the last few days working out little bugs and whatnot. Fun!

thanks Ken, you mean like this?:cool:

Attached Files:

9. davo461

davo461

Co-pilot emergency escape hatch?

10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can't get over how incredibly bad ass this car is, and not only that.. The fact that you went from two separate bodies with very questionable sheet metal and had to tweak everything to all fit together to a complete and driving hot rod in that time period is just mind-boggling.

Yeah. I'm only repeating what everyone else is but it's true.. Are there any sheet metal on this car that you think you'll need to go back over or is everything really all straight and finished?

11. S.F.

S.F.

hell yeah man looks great!

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks Matt, there are several areas that will need some more elbow grease before I'm going to call it "done", but it's to the point where it looks pretty damn good in primer. Examples: the door gaps are not perfect, there's a wave or two here and there that needs to be flattened out, there's a bump or two in a beadline, but nothing that you wouldn't find on a well used, chopped, original body, IMO. I don't kid myself by thinking it's ever going to be the type of car that will be perfectly straight and "right" from all angles, but it's certainly more than adequate for a driver hot rod and that's just fine by me. See, it would have been one thing to start with NICE parts to do this conversion, it was entirely another to use almost complete junk to make it happen. Considering what I started with, I'm stoked and smoked.:cool:

And on a side note, the rear spring settled some more and now the TT is banging the floor on bumps. DOH!!!

tunnel or raise the rear suspension some more??:confused:

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hmmm. how big would the tunnel have to be? i really like the way this sits and would be hesitant to raise the rear up too much. although, maybe it'll settle even more and end up where it is now.

so i dunno. was that a help?

15. Epic Build!

Pure Inspiration.

Very nice work, thanks for posting the transformation!

TJJ on iPhone

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'm with you Mark, I love the height it's at now... the only reason I don't want to put a small tunnel in is that once the QC is installed I don't think it will be necessary at all with the TT being several inches lower than it is now. I think I'll just add a few leaves for the time being and pull them once the QC goes in.

17. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

That sounds like the best plan Andy

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very understandable. I would leave it as is too.. It's a hot rod after all. :)

On another side note, using your tech on how to put a bias ply tire on a wheel in your own garage, I was able to get a 7.50-16 mounted on my '46 wheel for my A. That tech flat out RULES.

Thanks for that tech, dude.. I'm so stoked.

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good plan Andy.

Matt, is that tire tech in this thread or elsewhere?

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

thanks matt. looks like good tech. although apparently a lot of people had something else to say about it. sheesh, mom always said, "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

22. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Haha. I know.. I used baby powder too. I wonder if that's going to eat away at my rubber. :rolleyes:

"Hot Rodder Killed by Baby Powder"

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea some guys didn't seem to like that one much, it's always worked for me, and several other guys I know that have been doing this shit for longer than I've been alive.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

5 more days until I get to see it!!! Can't wait dude!!!!!

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

T-minus 3 days... A little cushion for my butt to be smooshin' covered with a military surplus blanket and a belt to keep me from exiting the seat under unexpected circumstances.

[​IMG]

26. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Hot damn! Just spent 4 (thats FOUR) days at work reading this and man! SO rad!

27. I've been meaning to ask, what is that seat? That is perfect.

28. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking good!
    btw I work in aviation and have always used talc/baby powder on tubes when fitting them. dunno what the fuss is about ... ;)

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

34 3w seat, pretty sure they were the same for 5w's, but that's what this one came from. It's had the bottom tray replaced with tubing at some point.

30. Ah, I see, no wonder it fits so well. Thanks.