Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Screw It Im gonna go for it! 36 Ford coupe to be

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowcoe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. You need to move the belt line up under the rear window,

2. Mr Man, I tried to ignore your post for several days but I have come to realize that you are right. Also the slope of the rear of the cab probably should be laid forward as well. I guess thats why Im throwing this stuff out there. Thanks all.... I think that I will finish the roof as is first then fix the doors. After that is done I will move the beltline up and lean the back of the roof forward.......

3. have you made any progress?

i hacked up my car, and found a 40 deck lid, i didn't like the way it looked, (oddly like a 40) so i formed the back from scratch. buy the ems tail pan and then build the deck lid frame the rest is easy.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

^^^ More pics please!

5. otas

otas

I think your doing good! When you run into a snag there is always someone to lend a helping hand and give a word of encouragement. Good luck.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have to admit, when I started reading this thread, I was in total agreement with Abomb. A guy with no experience in this sort of thing, going through a divorce, working out of a rented garage? I figured the car would get cut up, and thats where everything would stall. Now I have to eat my words. Hell of a job.

7. Looks good, i,m subscribed. I,ll bet there are plenty of guys wanting to do this with some old project but not really having the guts to get started.

8. TBH, I´d go about making as close a copy of a real 3W as you can. You really run the risk of creating something that will always look a bit "off". It´d take a brave man to try and improve on something that is already so right.

9. bigbore

bigbore

I found a old article:

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      174.6 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      197.5 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      162.2 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      205.7 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      173.8 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      121.3 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views:
  10. bigbore

bigbore

More pics:

Attached Files:

• 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      149.2 KB
      Views:
    • 07.jpg
      07.jpg
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views:
    • 08.jpg
      08.jpg
      File size:
      126.6 KB
      Views:
    • 09.jpg
      09.jpg
      File size:
      159.5 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      116.3 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      138.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Hello all, Betcha thought I gave up. Unfortunately life got in the way for the last six months. The usual stuff that always gets in the way. Nobody cares about that stuff. The gist is that it gave me time to think and plan a bit. I was sorta intimidated by the doors. I hadn't checked the post for a good 5 months having been a bit discouraged. I was surprised to see all the words of encouragement. That got me motivated. So here's some new pics. I lengthened the passenger door by 5 inches. I really like the way it looks. Remember I'm shooting for long and low taildrager type setup. The curvature of the door comes from the c pillar of the trunk back. Reading over my old posts I had to laugh about getting the chasis back in 6 months. I have to come to terms with the fact that im not a Norwegian Superhero... Im on a slower track than that. Oops dunno how to post pictures from an I pad. I'll do it tomorrow.

12. Bigbore thanks for that article. I will be studying it!

13. Here are the pictures that I promised. I just have to cut along the back of the curved part of the door (yellow chalk line) to allow it to open then rebuild the inner parts.

Attached Files:

14. Door opened

Attached Files:

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Good to see you are still at it! That Aussie conversion is nice!

16. carbuilder

carbuilder

If you are converting a sedan to a coupe, roadster or cabriolet I make the side accent line from the doors back which will save a ton of time plus any other small panels you might need that are not already avaliable upper quarter fillers ect.
    DSCN7019.JPG

DSCN7020.JPG

DSCN7021.JPG

DSCN7022.JPG

DSCN7023.JPG

17. George G

George G

If you are lacking all th e skills necessary. Don't do it. Take that thing, get it going and enjoy it as is or sell it and buy what you want.

18. I strongly suggest you buy these parts, I've converted my 4 door to a roadster, trust me this will save you a lot of trouble. Deffinetly worth the money . Also buy a deck lid, The rest is int so bad

lowcoe likes this.
  19. If you completely fuck the car, you can always make it in to a woodie, you just need the floor and cowl, that was my origanal plan when I got my car

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

This thread was started over a year ago. The car was cut up last summer. The project is progressing. I think it is alittle late to tell him not to do it.

I find the build interesting and am following it. I am not sure if I am sold on the idea that he doesn't have much experience in doing this kind of thing. Has a nice start going.

Neal

21. I'll take that as a complement Neal. I had the day off today so after dropping the kids at school I decided to try to get further on the passenger door. I'm using the old square door frame and old door jam to finish making the internals of the new rounded rear part of the door. I also had to remove the cool rounded relief to make the body lines closer to the original version. I still need to raise the rear belt line as Mr Man noted a while back. I'm going to use the piece attached to the door jamb in the pictures but I will wait until I finish the drivers side door as well.

Attached Files:

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

23. Progress update. Right side door together still needs finish welding. Spun car around and started the drivers side. Got the outer door panel tack welded. Once I finish roughing in the drivers door I'm gonna put the body back on the frame to check that everything seems right. Then I'll move the rear window up to correct the belt line and lean the rear of the cab forward a bit.

Attached Files:

24. beater32

beater32

That looks like shit. You've taken too much out of the back of the door. To be honest i reckon you have fucked it up completely!

25. williebill

williebill

That does NOT look like shit. Keep going,it's gonna turn out fine. Takes big balls and a lot of work to pull this off. I like it.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm not going to say it looks like shit, but the door top and top don't look "right". The proportions are off, is the back of the top too low? A lot of work to go to if it doesn't have the right look. Somebody else pointed out that a '36 3 window is just about perfect, if you don't get it right, it's going to look really, really wrong.

Keep after it, you're at the stage now where cutting something apart and re-doing it isn't a big deal.

Brian

27. Follow flynbrian48 advice and you will do find. Good advice from Brian.

28. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good luck,quite a project

29. The drivers side looks good but the passenger side is too low in the back. You need to raise the back of the roof and the back of the door so that the radius is smooth and the top of the door level. Not sure how the roof ended up so different on each side. The drivers is perfect looking.

30. i agree and the drivers side is looking great. keep at it and it will all come together. no need to rush it, time will make it perfect, youre a do'er and thats awesome! dont listen to the dreamer....

keith