Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steering Wheel Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cadillacjerk, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

Hope I'm doing this right...my boss is restoring a 61 Rambler American convertible (one of many projects he has) and is in desperate need of info on anyone in North America that restores Steering Wheels...because this is kind of an oddball we can't seem to find anyone that does these.

We contacted a fellow in Cali who wanted $3500 to do one. That was a bit much. The boss is not interested in restoring it himself with any kit etc. So any help would be appreciated, and if someone has one in his secret stash PM please...thanks

2. I googled "steering wheel restoration" and came up with 10+ pages of restorers.
    Give it a try.

3. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

We did too ....the fact that its a Rambler seems to be an issue, BUT what we're really looking for is a recommendation from the good people on this site..

4. ev88f

ev88f

Jesus... for 3,500 that wheel should come back with a car attached to it

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

I can't recommend one, but I WOULD recommend spending time on eBay - you might find a mint or even New Old Stock one for a lot less than it would cost to restore! (Try a Rambler club, too)

6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

shoot me some contact info via PM--have a guy here in mount airy that does first class work. he relocated here about a year ago. I don't know him personally, but we have mutual friends and he's highly reccomended.

7. rld14

rld14

$3,500 to restore a steering wheel? Since when were Rambler steering wheels made out of solid silver? That's not expensive, that's obscene. Last time I had one done, a trashed Porsche 356 one, it cost me like $600.

8. $3,500? Dang.....I think you can still get a Merc. accessory recast perfectly for under 2k. Has to be a better way...

9. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Can you get a pic of it for me? Does he need the horn assembly and trim ring restored too? I have a '66 Nova SS wheel coming in this week, could knock them out at once...especially if it's bolero red.

10. charlieb66

charlieb66

Send a pic, I think I can put a Walnut rim on it for say like $3000 plus shipping.

11. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

I'm waiting for pics from him.... will post shortly and will PM those who asked shortly too

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

Here's what I'm looking for or would like repaired ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  14. I am also looking to restore my 61 Rambler Conv. steering wheel. Did you find anyone to do yours? Thanks.

15. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

Really? so my boss isn't the only guy on the planet? I'm waiting to see what he does, there were a few offers on here but he hasn't made his mind up....we are looking for the front yoke for this car also any help would be appreciated...PM me with your pics etc we have 4 cars here like this but no yoke or decent steering wheels, maybe you need some stuff too

16. Squablow

Squablow

The $3500 quote probably came from somewhere that recasts wheels, and it was super high because they most likely don't have a mold made of that wheel yet and won't have much call for it afterward, so they're figuring in the price of the mold. Your wheel isn't all that cracked up and I don't think it's necessary to have it recast.

Repairing a wheel is somewhat time consuming but not all that difficult. If you're OK with the fact that it'll be painted in the end, I would think someone could have that done for $300-$400. Figure 8-10 hours of labor and a small amount of materials.

It's something you or he could do yourselves, I just did a '59 Ranchero one with two tone and it turned out beautiful, and I'm no expert. Seems a waste to ship a steering wheel to another country to have someone patch it up and repaint it, especially for a car that isn't all that valuable.