Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smell my car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clevername, May 14, 2012.

1. Clevername

Clevername

I have a 60 Impala, original interior -obviously a little worn. I have had two people ask to smell my car. Both just say they really like the smell of old cars. I thought it was pretty weird -of course I let them. What the hell.

Anyone else get this question?

Kelvin

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

sweet--captain huggyface avatar. no comment on the smell of your car :D

3. That smell is mouse piss, mold and hantavirus.

4. CandyGrl

CandyGrl

Not smell my car but, had a couple ask to sit in the back seat on their anniversary.

Guess they lost their virginity in the back of a '65 Barracuda... That was a little TMI.

5. 94hoghead

94hoghead

There is something about the smell of an old car. Kind of like the smell of a shop, its just ........cool.

6. Willy301

Willy301

You should have asked them to pull your finger =D

7. Clevername

Clevername

lol

8. it is known as "Sma-tina"....smell of patina. It can only exist in cars that have been drivin in for decades. They can put their new car smell in a pipe and smoke it for all i care. I'll take my old car smell anyday.

9. Gromit

Gromit

There is a definate smell (yeah probably Hantavirus) I discovered it's cousin as a kid sitting in my brothers Austin Cooper S.. British cars have a unique smell.. wet wool, and all that oil that's leaked out (plus the smell of overheated electrics).. I love it.

American car smell is different, but almost as intoxicating.

10. Gromit, i know of what you speak.....I drove an MGB GT for a spell....i LOVE that rig, the smell and all of it.

11. Someone once described the smell of old cars to my dad (who was buying a Volvo Amazon at the time) as being "A combination of decomposing vegetable matter and engine oil!" Kinda stuck with us :) Old cars smell great, new cars smell like new running shoes :(

12. smell is a memory trigger. old cars=good memories. that's the reason no one forgets to NOT pull your finger a second time.

13. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I love driving my '46 Chevy, the experience starts when you open the door and smell that old car smell, that starts the smile that doesn't go away till I've been out of the car for a few minutes. Love that smell!

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya that smell... Love it! New cars just don't get it for me, and I think the odorama is part of the deal. Now if you flat want weird, my mom always asks Jag XKE owners to smell their cars... I'd say she misses hers just a bit.

15. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

its a love hate thing. i love the smell of old american cars. euro cars stink imo....

16. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

I remember the smell of my bird when I first bought it...

It was the smell of hot oil and unburned gasoline from the cracked exhaust manifold mixed with kind of an old newspaper smell.

I wish they could bottle that

17. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  18. CandyGrl

CandyGrl

Add in the aroma of non-ox gas and it's heaven. I remember my Mom pumping gas when I was a kid and taking a big whiff of it! Guess it's in the genes :)

19. My cars usually smell like beer farts. Have at it, sniff 'er up.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Being an off topic car I won't mention how old moldy horsehair gives a certain vintage economy car a distinctive smell that makes me feel like a kid again.

Whoops

21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

a guy i used to drink with had a bad smell in his car a mackerel under the drivers seat (easy to find)two in the drivers door and one under the dash. summer time the car stank like hell.he found the fish under the seat thought the smell would go away,it didnt found the one under the dash smell got worse.a couple of days the guy getting a lift to work and sharing petrol expenses had enough took the bus instead .seanie was pissed off.started ripping the car apart found what was left of the fish,TRUST NO ONE

22. Model T1

Model T1

Yes, I have owned and looked in to many old cars and hot rods. First off, the two cars I drive now don't have that old car smell, or new car smell. After all, I put custom interiors in them so I suppose they smell like naugahyde and rubber, mixed in with burnt oil and rubber, with a side of cheap corn fuel. After a cruise-in they may smell like cheap burgers, tacos, and beer farts!
    As for the old original stuff, most seem to smell like mohair, mouse piss, and mildew. Quite a nice smell actually!:D
    As for those cars from far away countries, My Austin Healey Sprite and several VW Beatles always smelled like wet diapers.

23. henry29

henry29

People ask to smell my Volkswagen all the time.

24. big creep

big creep

i love the smell of an old airplane!! nothing else like it in the world!

25. I had an old three-door suburban years ago that I always liked the smell of. The previous owner was a pipe smoker and I always looked forward to opening the door on a hot summer day after it had sat parked with the windows rolled up. :)

I had an old manual 3-speed trans in the back once and the side cover bolts were only finger tight, Of course it rolled around a bit back there and maybe something like an ounce or so of the old gear lube in it leaked out and soaked into the indoor-outdoor carpet that was on the cargo floor. To me the gear lube smell combined with the pipe tobacco smelled even better! I miss that aroma more than anything else about that old truck. :D

26. xlr8er

xlr8er

I just love that old car smell.

If you ever have a chance, take a wiff of the inside of an old arcade game/pinball machine. Kinda the same as an old car. Open the coin door and the whole room fils up with nostalgia!! Realy neat!!

27. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Oh man, you guys have done it now....another fad is born....to be debated on the HAMB to the beaten dead horse extent over the next 10 years. Original smatina, faux smatina, east coast smatina vs west coast smatina......good grief.....

28. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

I had a girlfriend in high school who's dad was an (custome automotive) upholsterer. They had a contract w/ a big company to sew large clear vinyl bags as a bread & butter deal. Her and her sister did most of the work on these. She was my 1st big love (infatuation) and I'd hang out and help them.

The industrial sewing machine used a special oil that has a very distinct smell. Everytime I have ever gotten a whiff of that oil since, it's an instant flashback, right to that place & time! Nothing else like it.

I've had lots of old cars but remember a 66 cutlass that had a great smell when you got in, my wife always
    hated it!

29. for me its finding an old ore/wash rig thats been setting with the pine tree
    old and molding on the vent handel nothing finer then that except may be
    for smoking tires LOL

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

My car still smells like Ethyl,...remember Ethyl?

Ethyl got a bad rap, some say that Ethyl was really, really dirty.

[​IMG]