Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eddie Meyer Pistons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greazhonkey, May 14, 2012.

1. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

A old friend of my grandfathers was cleaning out his shop and ran across this box of pistons. He brought them by my shop and dropped them off. To my suprise they are Eddie Meyer pistons? They have 60 A cast into them, which leads me to believe they are for a V8-60. Does anyone know anything about these pistons?

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      388.6 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      491.4 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      488.7 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      489.3 KB
      Views:
  2. alchemy

alchemy

What's the diameter? Do you have giant hands?

3. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Hahaha, I don't think so, the diameter is a little less than 2 3/4. I don't have anything great to measure with

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

GrezHonkey........I am a close friend of Bud Meyer and Doug Clem, the owner of the Meyer Family Racing Museum in Reno, Nevada...... I was talking to Doug last night and he gave me the following information, which you will surely find interesting.......enjoy:

"Hello Brucie,
    That's an easy one. The Eddie Meyer shop made their own "permanent mold" pistons,..... both for 60's, and BIG flatheads. These were the next best thing to forged pistons (in the day), and the parts supply place, EGGE, used to have the permanent mold to make the E/M pistons about 15 years ago......but they broke the mold, so they don't list "Eddie Meyer" pistons anymore. I have several sets of pistons, so here goes. The early E/M pistons used a one ribbed reinforcing rib in the head of the piston, plus it has the E/M logo inside the casting. The later style E/M piston has 3 reinforcing ribs, plus NO E/M teardrop logo. The later (newer) style piston has 60A and heat treated in the skirt, ......plus E/M "slipper skirted" the last ones, plus used narrower rings. All E/M pistons had an elongated wrist pin boss, so changing compression height for the piston pin wasn't an issue (different stroke).....there was lots of "meat" in the wrist pin area. Also E/M made a couple of sets of Ardun V8 60 pistons for the Sterling Edwards V8 60 Ardun powered sports car, which won the 1st Palm Springs road race. The Eddie Meyer shop (mainly Bud Meyer), made the Ardun 60 run, with E/M pistons, E/M ignition, and NO HEAD GASKETS!! Phil Remington was part of the Stirling Edwards project, when he worked for Eddie Meyer.
    Talk to Bud about the engine, as they did their normal mechanical magic on the engine to make it run."

Here's pics that Doug sent me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CB

Last edited: May 15, 2012

5. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Thanks Brucie!!!

6. trainbrane

trainbrane

To Crusinbrucie : I'm working on restoring a V8 60 that was in a vintage racing hydroplane. When we took the engine apart, we found it had Eddie Meyer pistons. The oil in the engine had turned to a thick goo and wouldn't turn over. After finally getting it apart we tried to remove the stuck rings and broke a few. Do you know where we can find more rings? We have the pistons on the far right in your picture. Is there anyway to know if they are oversize short of measuring them with a micrometer.
    Thanks!
    Glenn

7. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Interesting piston, Stock V8-60 had a bore measure of 2.600 which is less than your 2.750 but 60 hp can have a .100 overbore which would put it up in that area. Also noted is the compression dome that is angled to reference a relief intake/exhaust porting. This must have had some different stroke as the skirts are deep cut for crank clearance and the dome height is taller than a stock piston. Here is a picture of a .060 Eddie Meyer 60Hp piston according to Info previously posted its a later series design.

Attn: trainbrane I have broken sets of 60Hp rings if you have sizes and thickness of rings PM me

Attached Files: