Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Taught my girls how to drive a stick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, May 11, 2012.

1. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

Great post NUROADSIR, you are teaching your girls a very under-appreciated skill by kids standards today. My dad insisted that all his children would have a "stick" car as their first. We had a huge hill down the steet from our house and he made us start and stop over and over in the middle of the hill.

So many young-adults today don't know how to drive a stick. I also believe that everyone should have to take their driving test in a "stick" car. We'd have much better drivers on the road if we did.

2. MERC 55

MERC 55

taught my wife on a 18 speed roadranger, 40 years ago.

3. In rural areas & farm areas kids learn to drive earlier in life (lots of land around helps too). My own son started on a 50cc dirtbike with a clutch when he was 5. Later- when he learned to drive a car with a clutch it was easier as he knew the principal of it all...PS Your kids sure look happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. It should be a requirement to get a drivers license. lots of people have no idea.

5. Bull

Bull

Agreed. Though she has no interest in driving my roadster or Tudor. Guess she'll have to learn in my daily driver.

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

The toughest to get used to for me was my brothers Bugeye. Not only were all three pedals really close together but the clutch travel was about 2" (it had a later Nissan tranny). I felt like an idiot the first dozen start stops. But like everything once you understood the mechanics it became easy.
    Next step my wife and then let the girls get out on the road a little more.

7. i'd like this to be my new career. "driving stick lessons for girls, by Farmer"