Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bob, the 74" wb would waay long for either a TQ or micro. TQs generally had wb in the 62"-66" range and micro's even shorter.

2. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

3. doctordarryl

doctordarryl
    from NJ

Here is my latest build - the Johnny Pawl #18 Offy midget. This 1:1 car was built in Indiana after Johnny Pawl bought the midget operation from Frank Kurtis and is famous since it was on all the decals advertising his Racing Equipment Co. It was not a repainted Schafer Gear Works #18.

I airbrushed the body with Testor's One Coat Chrysler Yellow cut 1:1 with DupliColor lacquer thinner. The decals, rear brake drums, and 3-gauge dash were from Scale Auto Details. The seat and frame/firewall were airbrushed with Testor's One Coat Ferrari Red cut 1:1 with DupliColor lacquer thinner. Kit chrome was stripped and redone with Alclad II Chrome over Boyd's Gloss Black.

The hood was hinged with pieces of 0.040" (1mm) OD thin wall stainless steel tubing and 0.016" OD brass rod. This was my first attempt at hinging a hood on one of these and it came our okay but I will likely make changes on the next one.

I vacuformed carb blisters for the hood side panel and blended them onto the kit part. The blisters on the #18 car were quarter spheres that did not cover the carb throats like some blisters did. There were small extensions on the carbs on the 1:1 car and I added those made from thin wall aluminum tubing.

I did my usual modifications to the front and rear nerf bars (note the stacked initials JP on the front nerf bar) and the rear hairpins. The wheels were stripped of kit chrome and sprayed with Model Master Magnesium Metallizer with the centers painted with Model Master Aluminum Metallizer.

I am up to 10 midget builds with this one and there are more on the way.

Attached Files:

4. the shadow

the shadow

Hey guys I got my v860 coupled to my I/O with a mid plate and I am in process of setting up the motor mounts. I plan on making one for the front and a mount off of the mid plate in the center. before I do that I want to know what kind of pinion angle I should shoot for or motor angle etc. Looking at old pics on here it doesn't look like the v8-60's sat in the frame with alot of rearward rake (angle) to match the torque tube, they look pretty level/parrallel with the frame? As usual any tips or tricks for nailing this set up are greatly appreciated!

paul

5. designs that work

designs that work

Sideways 27,
    Micros at Lemoore were still running some 8 inch tires in 1982. The ten inchers were used on the right rear. Shortly there after some started running 13 inch right rears.

6. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I remember micros running at Ephrata, Pa. Jerry Stover...

7. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks for the info guys, sorry for the late post as I have been a little busy working on a couple of new projects. Rootie good to have you back on board, missed your knowledge regarding racing. I have a TQ that we ran on the west coast in the shop and I need to check the wheel base. For some reason thought it was 72 to 74". Im sure you know what your talking about. Thanks for the info it is a great help.

8. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

My Chevy II midget is 72" WB as is my dad's Edmunds chevy II.

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

USAC full midget specs are 66 min. and 76 max. And IIRC, it has been for many years.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

With a r/e, 74 wb, and 8" wheels I would be inclined to think it might have been some kind of offroad buggy.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is the photo. [​IMG]

13. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Looking for a parking place for my vintage midget and open trailer somewhere in the Indy area for a couple days between the AARA event in Ohio on the 19th and 20th and the MOVRCC date at the Hoosier Hundred on the 25th and during the Little 500 on the 26th.

Not wanting to tow the open trailer to Terre Haute to spectate on the 24th and leave it in the parking lot and ditto for Anderson and the little 500.

Please PM me or e-mail [email protected] if you have anything available. Thank you, Art

14. sideways27

sideways27

You guys are right on, my midget is 72" and the TQ is 62". Now I am wondering what this guy has. It has a midget body on the car but like I was told it is a 72" wheel base with 8" wheels and had a rear engine. Somethings wrong here. I will get some pictures and let you know what I find.

15. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

My, roadster all aluminum 4 bar 72 in w/b

Attached Files:

16. DocF

DocF

I stooged on midgets with wheelbases from both limits. The Jimmy Davies "Little Car" was 66" wheelbase (on the short side). The last Bob Higman built Shannon Buick Offy was 76" wheelbase, but it was built when the Auto Club was mainly running midgets on half mile and mile tracks. The Kurtis and Hillegass cars ran a 72 or 73" wheelbase, normally. Earlier cars from Edmunds ran at 68", while later ones were usually 72".

Doc

17. sideways27

sideways27

It was not a 72" wheel base as I was first told, it is 62". I was shown a picture of the car and it is a micro midget from somewhere around the late 50's to early 60's. I need to go over and take a closer look see because there are not very many old micros around it it may be interesting.

18. stunning..........

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Makes more sense now, Bob. When I was a young'n back in the early 60s I really, really, REALLY! wanted one of those. :cool:

Attached Files:

20. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

Thanks for kind words, just finished the body last week .

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice. Is that a replica of any particular car?

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

MARK YOUR CALENDARS

Located in his home town, the race car portion of this show is headed by long time, legendary car owner Ken Brenn.

For those of you that might not be aware, Brenn fielded top shelf equipment in ARDC & USAC midgets, URC & USAC sprint cars, USAC champ cars, USAC Indy cars and dirt modified stock cars.
    In more recent years he served as President of the National Old Timers Auto Racing Club (NOTARC).

The race car portion of the show features not only an abundance of Vintage race cars, but also current day cars from all disciplines of racing.

If you have a race car, this is the place to show it.
    If you want to see race cars from almost all eras and disciplines of racing, meet car owners &/or drivers from all those eras .. from local short tracks and drag strips .. all the way to Indy owners and drivers .. THIS IS THE SHOW TO BE AT.

The Warren Township (New Jersey) Antique/Classic/Race Car/Motorcycle Show

The 7th Annual Warren Township
    New Jersey
    Classic/Antique/
    Race Car/Motorcycle Show

When: Sunday, September 9th, 2012
    No Rain Date
    Time: 10:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
    Gates open at 6:00am

Where: Warren Township Municipal Grounds
    46 Mountain Blvd.
    Warren, NJ 07059

For those of you wanting to show a car the registration form is available of their web site .. http://www.warrennjcarshow.org/index.html
    Also if you click on the PICTURES tab and scroll down, you'll get a small idea of not only the race car portion of the show, but of the others parts of the show as well.

I hope to SEE 'YA THERE .. I LOOK FORWARD TO IT!!!!

23. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks Rootie,
    Your pictures sure brought back some memorys of the 60's when I was running the TQ's. I remember the Micros and some of the guys that raced them moved into the TQ's while going up the ladder. The Konig's were fast in the day and it was not a big step to go into the TQ's or even a full midget at that time. Just Money

24. DocF

DocF

Hey Ken, I was salivating over a road trip to see the show come September. Now it looks like that will not happen as dear wife and I are looking at going to visit our daughter and her family in Hawaii. There is always something.

Doc

25. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

A take off of a roaster I, made in 1963 :rolleyes:

26. baldtireman

baldtireman

Really feel sorry for you having to go to Hawaii......:D

27. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

I have the Benson midget. I found it in Tn. in a barn. Walsh is coming to pick it up next week.

28. DocF

DocF

Hawaii ranks on my bucket list slightly below touring the now derelict Lionel train factory in Irvington, New Jersey.

Doc

29. So for those of us that have been following the Benson cars. This would be the first Benson built / finished?
    Probably one of only a few that actually started out Cageless .
    Great to hear Rich is going to get it back !
    How about a photo.

30. kmajka

kmajka

Just to remind everybody this is coming up this Saturday, there will be vintage cars running all day long, ONLY VINTAGE CARS
    We would love to see as many people as we can at this new event so that we can continue it as an annual event.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2012