Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone tried registering a street rod in Maasachusetts in 2012 yet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Mar 23, 2012.

1. After 2 months of DOT B.S. my '47 coupe is titled, registered and inspected.
    Today I finally got my title for it in the mail. I had to place several phone calls to the DOT and finally a connection there said he'd see about getting it released to me.
    It seems it's been held in an exam status the past couple of months.
    Exam what? is my question. Massachusetts and SEMA created this mess, what's left to exam???
    The title now states my '47 Ford is a 2003 Ford Street Rod and the model has become a 1947. Also it no longer is allowed to possess it's God given Henry Ford serial number. Massachusetts saw fit to label it with their own Mass. assigned serial number.
    That's not a typo, a 2003 Ford. That's the way the Commonwealth wants it titled.
    Seems kind of fu*#@d up to me.
    If anyone should register a newly built or purchased street rod in the future in Massachusetts and a DOT clerk asks you if the car has had an engine swap or is it modified in any matter you might remember this key suggestion...............DENY, DENY, DOUBLE DENY and DENY some more.

2. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Do you mean back when they all were political hacks, wore those gestapo uniforms and were allowed to carry guns?

3. The DOT has improved a little bit, yes.They smile a lot more now and some Mass. DOT offices have some beautiful women working there you can oogle at while spending your hard earned cash.
    There is defiantly a greater air of cheerfulness within their walls these days.

4. ChefMike

ChefMike

this is total b s put enough money in front of them is what it comes down to !

5. djmartins

djmartins

Haha!
    I haven't been resident of Massachusetts in about 20 years and this thread
    is prime evidence as to WHY!
    When I grew up there one only had to show a hand written bill of sale to get an oldie registered.
    Y'all are sheep to be sheared and these days the farmer needs MORE WOOL!

Vote with your feet.

6. Inkedflesh

Inkedflesh
    from Nashua, NH

The logistics of the whole situations stink, I had no idea what I was doing when it came to getting my car squared away I know in NH its not so bad I was luckily grandfathered in I got my title, as well as my registration. I was really amped though because after a chat with a NH state trooper, he said I didn't need an inspection! I was stoked. Be careful though one shop literally almost charged me the inspection too, tried inspecting my 49 as a new car!

7. A friend was at the DOT Friday morning doing a plate swap.
    Lady at the transaction window asked why he was turning in his Mass antique plates.
    She was only curious she told him as he was the 28th person to approach her window that week to return his antique Mass plates and request PAN plates.
    She told him she knew nothing about the new SEMA street rod / kit car bill.
    DOT people are still living in the dark ages.

8. T-Faust

T-Faust

Expecting knowledge at the window is hopeless.

9. Shows how little DOT management cares about making sure the people working the windows have enough information to do their jobs.

10. greaser

greaser

I'm bringing this to the top again, so everyone can make plans to be at the Bass Pro Shop in Foxboro Wednesday night (June the 20th). I think the meeting's scheduled for 7:00??
    All those effected by the latest changes to the Massachusetts Hot Rod registration, and title procedures should take note and make every attempt to be there.

11. deskjet894

deskjet894
    from ma

How do you prove the engine, transmission, etc are not stolen during the inspection?