Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 ford country sedan wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halloweennight96, May 13, 2012.

1. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Well.. I'm not too savy with the forums but have been a member for years, and I love this place so I guess I'll play too. Just picked this thing up. Ive been a wagon nut for years, but being a broke white boy in tough times.. Its been hard to find the next one. Been building old volkswagens for years, and now moving back into the wagon world feels pretty good. I was looking for a 62-64 full size ford wagon, but found this 61 country sedan and thought it had tons of potential. 223 inline 3 speed... Drove it 100 miles home no issues. It needs some personal touches, but again... Complete and different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came home and got started.. Took the lakes off, and switched over to a stock hood with some green paint with flattening agent to match..

[​IMG]

Only interior shot I have at this time..

[​IMG]

Plans are to lower it, possibly sand and repaint over the scallops to get it all one color, lower it and drive the snot out of it.

Its been a long time since I have messed with coils and leafs. Would a 3" block mess with the pinion angle too bad? I'm a low boy and love em low. Any help of suggestions.. I am open to feedback.

John
    <!-- / message -->

2. i love 61 fords would love to find a starliner i think youd be fine with 3inch blocks im not sure if they would work on a 61 but areostar front coils drop the front end 21/2-3 inches on 59's and earlier ford

curious what are you going to do with the glass teardrop hood?

3. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

It was about to go up for sale. PM if interested. Thanks!

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Last edited: May 13, 2012

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

I dunno.... I like the white scallops
    good move on the hood
    iIwonder if some one can photo shop some other wheels on it
    the green steelies arent doing it for me

6. Good choice on ditching the teardrop hood. Cool car.

7. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Thanks guys... Yeah, a squire would have been my ultimate pic. Something about a woody wagon for sure. I agree on the wheels as well, maybe some chrome rings and spiders or bullets to dress them up would work? Yeah.. I think if he hadnt had a stock hood, it may have been a deal breaker. Not the right car for a terdrop hood at all. Very nice hood, just a bad choice. Ive been reading up on pinion angle, and there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings and opinions. Sounds like I may be safe with a standard flat 3" block, but I would appreciate any info anyone may have. Im pretty sure about 1.5 coils or so, and a 3" block would be ideal for now. Keep the feedback coming, I appreciate it.

John

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  8. A Rodder

A Rodder

I don't know if it is too relevant but I used 3 inch blocks in the rear of my 59 edsel ranger, ford chassis. And had no problems.

And, with the middle seat being split, is it a nine passenger?

9. sololobo

sololobo

Cool wagon bro, love the seldom scene 61's. fFord wagons 4-ever! ~sololobo~

10. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Cool wagon.

3 inch blocks may be more than you want but I am sure you have taken some measurements. I only have four and half inches to the stops, no blocks and only a half a tank of gas.
    I am not saying it wouldn't look good but if you are going to drive it as much as I drive mine be sure and fill up the tank then measure.

There is a complete stock 61 locally for sale that has really tested my will power this week. COOL CAR

11. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Well... About the split rear seat. I thought the same thing when I saw it about possibly being a 9 passenger, although it is not. Not real sure on the history of the back seat, I may give the PO a call tomorrow and find out a little more on where it came from. Weird, but at least there is one present I guess. I kind of wish it had a full bench back seat, but oh well. Ill follow up with you guys. As far as the blocks, I have taken measurements and keep going back and forth between 2 or 3" blocks. 3" and level all the way around would be cool, or just 2" blocks with a slight rake lower in the front... I cannoy make up my mind. I have searched for others with the drop I want, but there are not many out there.. Thats for sure. I do drive my stuff a lot, so I will be fine tuning my decision soon. Thanks!

12. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Believe it or not, I think I have seen that 61 you are referring to. White on red with surface patina? Looks like a very cool car if so. I wish I could have found something a little more untouched and unmolested.. But things are getting scarce in these parts (east coast rust), so I jumped on this one being different and a fairly solid car. The PO showed me pics of it all original when he pulled it out of a barn 4 years ago.. Really neat to see. I really didnt want to deal with having anything shipped again, as I have gotten screwed over in the past on those deals.

13. Mats W

Mats W

A really kool wagon. Good taste to swap the hood.

The split back seat indicates there ought to have been a third seat. Both my '59 Villager and my '62 Country Sedan are 9-passenger wagons and a "V" in both their VINs indicate they actually were built that way from the beginning.

Good luck with your build :cool:

14. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Well boys... After curiosity killed my cat, about the back seat and your comments on the possibility of it being a 3rd seat wagon... I got started digging in on some history. After doing the VIN reader, turns out that it is indeed a 61 with a 223 mileage maker 6 born right here in my hometown! With further investigation, it did infact state that it had a V66 in the VIN making it a factory 9 passenger wagon! Previous owner had never even known it was back there! I went out, flipped the seats down and there it was. No foam or fabric... But the seat is present. When I was considering buying the wagon, I could not get that panel to lift up... But thats old shit for ya. Anyway... Too pumped up! Wanted to share.

15. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Wow, that is an awesome discovery! Wish I could of discovered a third seat in my wagon... Nice find. Good luck with the 223, they are good motors, mine has made me rethink doing a V8 swap.

16. S.F.

S.F.

ditch the hood, scallops and lake pipes....otherwise very cool car.

EDIT:::: I should really read first lol....you are doing exactly what I would do with that car. Those scallops are horrible, glad to see your getting rid of them. I like the steelies and white walls, looks good like that.

I just lowered a 61 Galaxie, I would do 2 inch blocks but replace your U-joints too. Also I took 2.5 coils out of the front springs (TOO MUCH!...dont do that, looks totally rad, but it hits the bump stops ) 1.5 would be better. These cars are low already, doesnt take much...with the 2 inch blocks and 1.5 coils out of the front the car should have a slight rake with my guestimation...3 inch blocks to have it level. But def. replace the U joints with new one's if you do it. they are used to riding in the same groove pattern for 40 years, they will eat themselves (thats what happened with my 61) I replaced them and had thousands of trouble free miles and sold the car, still doing fine Ive been told.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I like the way you're going with it. I'd throw some supremes on pinners on it.

18. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

nice looking wagon, supremes would look great on it, anyway, good luck with it.

19. Stacked65

Stacked65

Nice ride, I love the 60 /61 Wagons , I also have been debating on the appropiate drop for 64 Squire. Thinking about 2" blocks / Aerostar coils with new shocks as I intend to drive it. Also trying to get an idea of the correct wheel & tire combo as they say the wheels make the car. I am stuck between Astros with 15x7 with 215 70 piners front and 15x8 rear with 235-70 piners / or 15x7 all around.
    But I am also leaning towards MB Motoring "Old Schools" gray centers with machined flat caps 17x8 with Dunlop 235-40-17 Frt. 20x8.5 rear with 225-30-20 this would keep the height at 25.4 which is equal to the factory 14" tire size.
    Cool wagon hold onto it you dont see as many 60-61 wagons anymore.

20. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Thanks guys.. Got a little garage time today. Here are some teaser pics with the rear. I have to re-visit the front end, as I took 1.5 coils off and its still sitting way higher than the back. Actually, I took 1.5 coils from the passenger side only. The drivers side had those little coil helper space things in them, assuming it was due to sag over the years. After taking the spacers out of the drivers side, and 1.5 coils out of the passenger side, the drivers side is still 1/2" lower. o_O. Oh well, here are the results from the rear today.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Took it for a 1 mile test drive, and the only issue I see is that there is a big guard over the rear u joints and drive shaft keeping all the crap from hitting the floor. This guard had a bump stop on it, so I removed it. Now the guard is less than 1" from the floor causing it to smack the tunnel over bumps. Has anyone taken this guard off of the rear end? It appears that it will unbolt, but the fear is that the driveshaft will shread the floor. Looks killer though!!

21. greg

greg

cool wagon. I saw that on craigslist. I tried to talk a co-worker into buying it.
    Try to make it to beatersville, I would love to see it in person
    I live just down the road in Madison, and work in louisville.

22. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Oh, cool man.. Im at beatersville every year. Thats a show not to miss.

23. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Well.. Got it where I thought it was good in the garage today, but backee it out and second guessed myself. It may be going back in for a little more front end trimming, but not today. Whipped. Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

24. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

25. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Wow.. I wish I had the cash for those squire rails. Thanks man!

26. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

Finally got this thing sitting right for beatersville...

[​IMG]

27. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

28. halloweennight96

halloweennight96

This one is going up for sale... Will be posting the ad up. Let me know if you are interested. One of my old cars is up for sale and I need it back.

29. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

[​IMG]
    Snapped this at Beatersville. I was tryin to hunt you down, but didn't have any luck.

I'd love to have it, but I've got one I'd have to get rid of or trade in order to get anything else!