Register now to get rid of these ads!

It is not so easy with AMCs...aka #1 finned oil pan made

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by juhap, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! Any Pictures of the casting molds?

2. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

I asked my "aluniminum man" if I could come to foundry. He said yes. I waited phone call that never came. He made casting one night at 4 AM !! Next morning he was on a business trip to "a far away country"... I hope next time I can be there. I´d like to take pics and learn more of making molds and pouring alloy. It would be a useful to know more about casting.

3. Thanks. Hmm, wonder who does casting 'round here..

4. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

WOW I was curious how you figured the amount to increase the mold and if you have any pictures on how you did it? It looks awesome!

5. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

I just made some calculations... Added 1.3 % to every measure. I had to keep thicknes close to 6 mm (1/4"). Then there was that 2-3 degree taper to remember. And ofcourse places for bolts had to keep in mind.

Ofcourse I forgot some of these during pattern making... So third version was close to perfection. So I thought... When prototype was at home, I found out that it was too short inside. Pattern is more longer inside now.

But this was my first attempt, so I think it went quite well. :)

6. 62dartman

62dartman

That is one awesome piece!!! Great work by both of you!!!!

7. Thank you for sharing! Very inspirational work! I too had to have a finned oil pan for my BBC and was able to get one from a Mercury BBC boat application and they were very rough and took a lot to polish. Yours looks great and a one off one of a kind, congrats!
    [​IMG]

8. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

Oldguard: That oli pan of yours looks very nice to me... there is some similarity, I see... :rolleyes:

It is a shiny piece of art, I say. :cool:

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Beautiful work, how about a photo of the car it's going in? Bob

10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

PM me if you want to know where to go :D

Juhap
    Of course I forgot some of these during pattern making... So third version was close to perfection. So I thought... When prototype was at home, I found out that it was too short inside. Pattern is more longer inside now.

did it shrink more lengthwise? more then the allowamce you were using?
    thanks
    Roger

11. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

It did shrink that 1.3%. But somehow I messed with that inner space... :(
    It looked like that sheet metal oli pan had more clearence that it actually had. So I used it... :mad:

12. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

A Finned Bronco pan for a 289/302 is a sure fire money spinner ,,,great work!!!!!

13. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

Bolt holes drilled and it is testing time

side wiews

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

front corner fits nicely

[​IMG]

I´m gonna use stainless steel bolts like these... (there is one for test)

[​IMG]

Behind there is a boss for an oil plug.

[​IMG]

14. harley man

harley man

Very Nice Juhap. Great work.

15. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Great work.

Jeff

16. I'm not really into AMC's but that really is a work of art. Nice to see it come to life.

17. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

It´s a hit! :mad: It needs some modifications...

[​IMG]

I can use this one with my Gasser American...

18. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I want one! especially if they are cheaper than a damned Milodon deep sump oilpan!

19. storm king

storm king

Commendable work, and quite an effort for a hobby hot rodder! Congrats!
    So I can see how a person could simply buy some pattern maker's sheet wax to gain the shrinkage factor on the outside of a part, assuming they desired to use a factory part to modify for their first pattern, but you'd still potentially run into the same problem with the inside dimensions, wouldn't you?
    That would take you down the path of making a female mold of the expanded outside dimensions, then building a part positive for the actual pattern master...
    Thoughts?
    I need to get one of the HAMB diggger guys over here on this, I think he's a pattern maker...

20. Easy chassis mods for such a cool oil pan! Looking great!

21. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Very nice work.

22. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

I need to cut a piece from middle part and move it about 2 cm (3/4") backwards... It´s an "easy" cut...

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

This is awesome.

Wasn't there another guy from Finland who made a set of Buick Nailhead valve covers a couple years ago? There was a thread about him making the patterns and then casting them.

I've always loved the look of raw, as-cast aluminum versus polished.
    I did some testing a few years ago, comparing fluid temps with several different pans: stock steel, chromed steel, as-cast unpolished aluminum, polished aluminum and black coated cast aluminum.
    The chrome and the polished aluminum let the fluid get hot quicker, it got hotter than the other pans, and it stayed hot longer.
    The polished surface reflects the heat back into the pan.
    An as-cast pan has more surface area as well, and dissipates the heat more effectively.

Just something you might want to think about with an oil pan.

-Brad

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

25. Mowogler

Mowogler
    from UK, Surrey

Nice job!,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I’ve had castings made too of rare flathead tuning bits (managed to borrow some to copy) plus made up some inlet manifolds (had them cast solid them drilled / milled them out)<o:p></o:p>
    There’s something very satisfying about having your own custom cast bits that nobody else has. Plus of course you get to stand next to your car and hear people say “Wow that is cool, they look original that must be so rare!” then of course you fess up and say you got the casting made from a mould you made up and you get more respect for being talented rather than just lucky or rich<o:p></o:p>
    For you UK Hambers out there, Harling foundries can do this kind of casting for you and it’s really cheap. I’m talking £40 + postage for a simple water outlet. Have look at their website and see the stuff they’ve done<o:p></o:p>

26. nali

nali

I love casting.
    Making your own pattern, melting alu and pouring your parts is a great experience. And a lesson of humility too ...
    I m also building a part for an AMC now, it s a finned intake with 3 carbs for a 232. For sure, it s an unique part, nobody will have the same :)

27. cakes

cakes

Looks great, I loved finned aluminum, I tried to run as much as I could

28. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Helvetin hieno!

29. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Thanks for remembering me! :p Original mold was later sold for fellow-HAMBer Dennis, and nowadays those valve covers are available at O'Brien Truckers. Read more here how it all happened...
    http://used-dirt.blogspot.com/2011/09/some-kind-of-milestone.html

30. juhap

juhap
    from Finland

Thanks... and I like it too...