Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hardtop car question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnod, May 12, 2012.

1. johnod

johnod

One of the many things I don't know the answer to,is,

does a hardtop car have A and B pillars, or A and C pillars?

If you think about it for a second you'll know why I ask.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A & C...what do I win...???

R-

3. This is a subject that I've wanted to post for a long time. Roger answered the question.

In 1949 when they started coming out of Detroit, no one referred to them as a Hard tops. they were called "Hard Top Convertibles" reference being no B pillar like the convertible.

Now my question is almost every car guy that has looked at the 1952 Plymouth 2 door Hardtop that I built says. "Oh you've built a Nomad" I see zero resemblance. I had years ago tried to argue this point that the Nomad slanted B Pillar does not make it a hardtop any more than the 55-56 Ford Crown Vic.

Attached Files:

4. Jakebob

Jakebob

Hmmm.....if there is no "B", how can there be a "C"???????

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Designer's and manufacturer's decided to abort the true alphabet and use their own 'jargon'...hence they've given the rear window treatment/trunk area a "tulip panel'...the cabin area is called a "greenhouse"...rear windows are referred to as a "backlight", trunks are often referred to as a "deck"...and I'm sure there are more 'names" I've forgotten cuz I'm old...

So, in answer to your question...since there is no "B" pillar at the rear edge of the door...it means you've got a hardtop...!!!

And NO NAME...the "resemblance" you talk about is the pillar you've built that slants rearward, similar to a Nomad...I'd bet most people do not remember that that pillar on a Nomad does not have an extra window preceding it. Perception is a strange thing in people's minds.

R-

6. bigorford

bigorford

A,B.C, the b pillar is where the boor strike closed on, it just isn't extended above the bottom of the glass

7. afaulk

afaulk

A,B, and C, refer to the position of the pillar. A is adjacent to the windshield, B is behind the front door, C adjacent to the rear window, as I understand it. The C pillar is also referred to as the sail panel. Then of course ya have limos.......:eek:

8. I'll agree with this one, it just sounds logical. I had never pondered that question before and I have always liked Hardtops over post cars.
    The Wizzard

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I was always taught that a car without stationary window frames is technically a hard top. But it's possible for a car without window frames to have a B pillar so it doesn't make sense. Also, doesn't a car have to have no back seat to be a coupe? Lot's of "coupes" out there are actually 2dr sedans, which ties into being a hardtop or a sedan. Like a business coupe shoebox for example, it has a B pillar, window frames, opera windows AND a back seat, so by definition it's not a coupe at all. It's all subjective and none of it's black and white. My '57 Hartop is technically a 2dr hartop sedan and not a "sport coupe" like they are so called. And my O/T daily Lincoln Mark VIII is technically a 2dr sedan and not a coupe, which it was also sold as when new. Very few cars are coupes and just because something is a hardtop or a 2dr doesn't make it a coupe. Now I'm even more confused.

In order for any of these cars to be a hardtop coupe, they would technically have to have no B pillar, no window frames, and no back seats.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  10. desotot

desotot

I think johnod is trying to start cyber war.

11. You can also have a "D" pillar, in a station wagon.

It goes "A" - Windshield support pillar
    "B" - The post immediately behind the front door trailing edge. If there is no post, there is ns "B" pillar there; hence, a hardtop or a convertible.
    "C" - The panel behind the rear window that connects to the rear windshield.
    "D" - The furthest rear panel between the rearmost side glass and the tailgate glass.

Either the "C" or "D" panels can also be called the sail panel.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front and back works for me as I'm not much on acronyms.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When you get done working that out, is the lid over the engine on a rear engine car the hood or the trunk?

14. Ole don

Ole don

Any Brit will tell you an engine cover is the Bonnet!

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OK in England is it the boot or the bonnet? Or is a rear engine car standing on its head?

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

And then you have convertibles............ No "C" pillar....but would the top fabric also be called a "sail" panel........???

4TTRUK

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

In England.....Fenders are called "wings...".... Frustrated "Aero Car wanna-be's" ?

4TTRUK

18. George

George

And "Guards" in Oz.

19. johnod

johnod

Looks like we have an agreement here, and I've got the answer.
    Thanks guys.