Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another F-100 camaro sub question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54cruzer, May 13, 2012.

1. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

I have the front of my 55 f-100 stripped down, and I am ready to make the cuts to it's frame, and to the front steer camaro sub. (I've done several clips but not a 53-56) I want to the ride height as low as possible, without bags. I don't mind buying dropped spindles/maybe springs, but my question is should I butt (and plate) the sub level with the f-100 frame or will I need to step it a few inches? (it looks as if I will be cutting the camaro just behind the a-arm brackets where the sub is straight and square and the f-100 near the firewall to center the wheel)
    Yes, I did a search, and found a lot of info, but nothing exactly specific in a reasonable amount of time.
    LEVEL OR STEP?
    thanks

2. madgrinder

madgrinder

The last one I did, I put the subframe on top of the original rails and plated the sides.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Block the truck frame up at the level you want it to sit at static when you are done.

Have the frame level front to back, you worry about rake after it is all together no matter what others might say.

Block the subframe up at it's stock ride height. That is usually with the bottom center of the crossmember about 6-1/2 inches off the floor surface. When we did my 51 Merc we slid under a car with the same subframe to be sure we got it right.

Once you have them at the height you want them at you can figure out where to put your cuts and how to blend the two together.

This a 56 Chevy truck frame that one of my buddies did for a guy. The truck will sit low when it's done. He hadn't taken a grinder to the scabs on the frame yet when I took the photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not show car pretty in some ways but the truck is intended to be a serious daily driver that sits very low.

4. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

If you butt them at about the same level the truck will set at a near factory stance. If stacked the front will be very low. The red and black one (butted picture) sits normal and the all red one (stacked picture) is about a beer can on it's side high once the engine/trans and other weight is in place.

Attached Files:

5. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

It appears that if you stack the frames(camaro on top) it would be about a 4-5 inch step? Wouldn't that require a tunnel almost all the way thru the cab, and drive shaft clearance issues?(been there done that in my cars)
    I'm thinking I might want to buy the dropped spindles ($125) and slightly modified or lowered springs, and butt the frames, achieving the same drop, avoiding clearance issues? or are the clearance issues not that bad, if at all(with that step)?

6. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

7. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

Does anyone have this combination and know about how low the ride height will be:
    camaro subframe butt welded level with the f-100 frame/dropped spindles and springs?
    I know you can run into a lot of problems when you step the sub up, like with the steering connection, exhaust, trans tunnel etc.

8. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

9. metalman

metalman

I've done probably 50 Camaro/ Nova subframe swaps over the years but it's been 20 years since put a Camaro sub under a F100 so my memory is a little fuzzy.
    Not a good swap if I remember right. I don't believe you'll get it as low as you want if you leave it level without getting the frame drop in the center too low (scrub line) by using drop spindels, springs, ect. If I remember right the steering box to radiator is an issue, the engine will have to be rear sump (no late Fords).
    I did a Camaro swap to a 57 Chevy PU a couple weeks ago, customer request. After I was thru I decided I won't do another, they work well in a Chevy but look like sh--. Not cost effective IMHO anymore either once you rebuild that Camaro clip. I could of put a complete new aftermarket suspension under his truck for what that ugly Camaro cost him. Of course I'm counting labor cost as well.
    Again, my opinion but the Camaro swap will kill your resale value if you ever decide to sell your effie.
    I'd recommend looking at other options.

10. 53 ford

53 ford

I have a 53 with a trans am sub. Top of sub frame level with top of truck frame, truck frame z'ed 3 inches at rear, running boards 4 1/2" off floor. Move wheels 1" forward to center in wheel wells.

11. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Check out my Crown Vic swap before you cut and graft...... I was gonna cut and graft but after I saw some of these I had to go the Cv route.

It's my signature line.

12. Jaguar IFS is a real easy swap in an F100 . Let me know if you want more details or do a search , there is plenty of info on the hamb about this swap.
    Just my humble opinion ( having done a few - including my own shop truck ) it makes a great riding/driving pickup out of it .

13. derbydad276

derbydad276

elpolocko has a new front end swap also that uses dakota parts
    going with the crown vic swap gives you fantastic brakes
    both of which have parts on the shelves (cheap)

camaro and jag are at least 20 years old (can you say ) special order

14. fair comment, here in New Zealand we have no problem getting spares for them .
    I've seen El P's dakota kit - very nice workmanship and the feedback from guys who have used his kit is all really good.
    Another realistic option for you guys in the USA .

15. I don't remember the details but years ago guys were trimming the frame from a chevelle front suspension and grafting just the suspension and crossmember to an un cut f-100 frame. Maybe someone here or on the ford truck enthusiast website might remember. Seems like that would bring the truck down pretty low. I don't know if the same could be done with a camaro subframe or not. The front steer subframes I would think would be close to the same dimemsions as the chevelle

16. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

Dump the camaro and use the Dakota sub from ElPolacko or use a Volare. Volare is readily avail and parts are cheap for rebuild. Adjustable ride height, small ford wheel pattern.. my two cents. Yes i have done the Volare many times. The Dakota is an awesome idea, i would use it in my next build.

17. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Oh btw, 2" lowering coil springs are available for the CV front for a couple bills per pair. I plan on using those on mine to get it LOW.

I know you aren't interested in them (nor am I), but bag kits are available for the CV as well. The availability of aftermarket parts for these front ends has surprised me. I guess these cars are quite popular with the GANGSTA's. HA!

18. 68vette

68vette

I put a 70 monte carlo clip on my 55 f100 back 10 years ago...it was perfect!!! The truck rode great, looked great, and handled very good.

I think a camaro front clip would be too wide if it is past a 69 model front clip.

I mounted the frames level....it sit just right....but I am thinking I cut one coil off of the coils...I took the cut off ford frame and put it inside the ford frame and it made it much stronger and looked factory.

If I clipped another f1 or f100 it would have a early 70's monte front clip period.

Attached Files:

19. 54cruzer

54cruzer
    from florida

70 monte carlo 61.9, 76 nova/camaro 61.3, 53-56 f-100 60" front and rear track width

20. Larry T

Larry T

I've got a buddy that put a 64 Chevelle clip on his 56 Ford pickup and it ended up sitting about like this one. Like you, he set it up with the top of the frame rails even.

I'd like to see the pickup finished on the frame in post 3. I don't think I've ever seen one set up that low. From what I've seen, stacking the Ford (I know that one is Chevy) on the Camaro clip gives 3 or 4 inches ground clearance at the running board.

Just saying, measure both frame heights on driving vehicles for the donor and your truck and figure your drop before you start.
    Larry T