Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CGkidd, May 12, 2012.

1. CGkidd

CGkidd

I am looking to possibly pick up a duraspark unit for my 302. Parts store asked if I wanted a iron or steel gear thats a new one on me. Whats the difference?

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

It has to do with the change in camshafts when the roller cam came out. If you have a standard cam ask for one to fit a 78 Granada = iron and if you have a roller cam ask for one for a 88 Mustang = steel. If you mix them up you will have a gear failure.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Actually most aftermarket distributors such as this:http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6702-R have steel gears and the steel gear can be used on both roller 5.0 and non-roller early 289-302's.You cannot use an iron gear on the roller cam 5.0 (aka302) do not use a bronze gear on a street driven car due to wear issues.I actually run this http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6502-BL as you can see in the picture below since it only requires a 12 volt one wire hookup and uses GM HEI parts that can be found anywhere.

Attached Files:

Kustomline54 likes this.
  4. CGkidd

CGkidd

Trying for a early sixties look on my build it is going in a 62 unibody.

5. A parts store rebuilt will do the trick for an OEM look with a steel gear. I know several guys running a Duraspark distributor with the sixties/early seventies Ford caps - and it works OK.

If you are going to run an electronic trigger system - you can use the Ford Duraspark style controller, an MSD outfit - or even an HEI adapted controller - and with decent wiring park any of them out of sight as long as they've got a way to cool properly.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Anybody have a spare duraspark? I would rather work out something with someone on here than the parts store

7. The big hei might work ok but it's to chebby looking for me and to big. I prefer a small cap as well. I run petronics conversion in a couple of my cars. One is 12 yrs old, works great, looks great.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

What year is the 302? I have a Duraspark out in the garage from a 1984 Lincoln MK VII 5.0/302 which had a hydraulic flat tappet cam $35 including shipping and it's yours.Send me a pm if you want it.

9. CGkidd

CGkidd

JeffB2 got the Duraspark. Perfect for what I am doing Thank you It's great.

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That is one ugly dist. in a Ford. Just screws up the look of a sbf.

11. Here's a pic of a petronics conversion in a 1963 housing with the little oiler hole and fomoco on it

Attached Files:

12. draggler

draggler

20-30$ from vatozone for an 85 mustang duraspark 302 distributor with a roller cam gear ,,can also be adapted to run with m.s.d boxes.