Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage AC Fuel Filter Mounting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkeyspunk79, May 12, 2012.

1. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Hi everyone. Since I'm redoing the fuel system in my '47 Fleetline, I wanted to add an AC fuel filter back into the mix. The original one we removed from the car was a leaker, and the threads are bungled up so into the scrap pile it goes. I also have another used one that also leaks from my Dad's old '56 Chevy project. That's junk except for the bowl. So I'll be looking for a good NOS or reproduction.

In the meantime, where would have been a proper period place to install one of these things? I've seen all kinds of stuff at local shows and online, but I wanted to see what you folks suggest. I want to be safe, professional, and not put stress on fuel lines or fittings.

Here's the one that came off the car back in 2010, and how it was 'plumbed'. (Don't worry, its much cleaner now and has a Carter W-1 on it and steel fuel line instead of copper tubing). Doesn't this put a lot of excess weight on the fuel lines to the carb?

[​IMG]

Here's what we had on it a few months ago just so we can run and drive it. I want to replace this Napa cheapie with one that works and looks correct.

[​IMG]

*Should it thread into the carb inlet directly with an 1/8 NPT male to male fitting?

*Should there be a small hard line coming out of the carb into the filter first?

*Should / can I plumb it at the outlet pressure side of the fuel filter and then run a hard line from the filter to the carb? Is there a best practice for this install?

The other question is would this have had compression fittings to plumb it in originally, or flared fittings? I would like to keep it as safe as possible and don't want to mess with leaky compression fittings if I can help it, but I also want to respect the car and do what it should have had back in the day.

I'm probably over-thinking this but I want to be sure. I lost a car to a fuel leak & engine fire when I was 16 and never want to go through that again, so I'm a little obsessive over fuel lines now :)

Thank you as always for your advice guys.

-D

2. Brass fittings from carb to glass bowl filter. Steel line from pump to brass fitting at the filter

3. This isn't a six - its a y-block - and the original part in the picture is a steel strap bracket off the forward intake manifold bolt. Steel line to the carb is fitted into a clip - like for a brake line but larger.
    [​IMG]

The two brass flare fittings on the filter are original too - they were in a glass bowl AC to start with - I just prefer the cannister type becuse they can be fitted with a fuel pressure gauge.

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Many cars have burned up due to leaking glass bowl fuel filters. Thats the last thing I'd ever put on an engine.

6. Whats the PN for that filter?

7. Lild

Lild

Probably the same amount that did from leaking AN fittings, pin holes in braided line or any other hose or fitting.

8. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Well I probably should update this. I got a repro AC style filter from The Filling Station when I got my new tank, as well as new brass fittings. I took my time installing everything so I didn't cross thread stuff and turn my engine into a fireball. Here's the finished product. I dig it enough to keep it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will eventually bend up some prettier fuel lines when I detail the engine bay... and redo the steering & suspension. The fuel line is a little short since I cut it for the cheap Napa filiter before. For now the bowl deal filters my gas coming from the new fuel tank and I can see any crud that comes up in the future. Cheers all, and thanks again for the help.