Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP Carroll Shelby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ole_Red, May 11, 2012.

1. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

2. WCD

WCD

He created one of the few cars that was cool enough to meet the Steve McQueen standard for cool.

3. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

RIP, what a sad day...

4. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

What a huge loss that so many of us feel so deeply. Carroll touched all of our lives in ways that we dont even know. Loss, what more can you say. Those of us that lived through some of his major performance milestones will be able to re-tell those stories to future generations. That is what we owe him. Such a smart, lively, giving, visionary, man that had a huge heart. Lets not forget about the Shelby Foundation as well. Its helped so many young and old with health issues.

God Speed Old Friend!

Thanks for so much!

Total Performance-
    Aaron Cushman

Attached Files:

5. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

6. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

and-

Attached Files:

7. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

Very sad day. I know it's not an original by any means but we wouldn't have had this amazing style without him

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336840853.485585.jpg

Attached Files:

8. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

RIP, Mr. Shelby...he certainly lived by the old adage - "Tell it like it is!!"...A true American auto/hot rod icon.

9. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

RIP Mr. Shelby.... we will miss you.

10. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

Is anyone going to say this?

He may have done a lot of neat things, but towards his later years he was a real asshole. In his many lawsuits over the "Shelby Cobra" he went after numerous manufacturers of replica bodies costing a lot of people a lot of money on legal defense in the face of his frivolous lawsuits. Factory five racing was one of them. He even wanted money out of replica owners for owning a replica.

A person is a sum of the total of their life. Good and bad. Everyone is going to remember the good he did, but lets not forget the bad.

11. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

i just bought this shirt in honor of him, i love his "Ferrari's ass is mine" quote
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

My mom always said never speak Ill of the dead.....

I hate to say this but he's right. I met Carroll many time. He was not a nice man, I worked for a shop that restored many historic cobras and shelby's. I'd see him at shelby events all the time and he'd come to the shop, he'd want money to sign the dash or a T shirt a little kid had, he was greedy and he thought he owned the S.A.A.C. people kissed his ass tho.....

RIP Carroll

13. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

The money went to his foundation for people who are on the transplant list. He just knew that the percentage of people who would pay for his signature was greater than the percentage of the people who wouldn't pay for it. So he made a decision to support his charity found a way to have a steady flow of money coming in and he stuck to it.

His foundation http://www.cscf.org/

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

14. Rest in Peace Mr. Carroll Shelby.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

The race is run, the flag unfurled, the champion now will rest. God speed, Carroll Shelby, we will never forget you. Jan. 23, 1923 - May 10, 2012

I had emailed his family this last night.

Dear Simone, Cleo, and the Shelby family,

I join with so many others in offering our deepest sympathy on Carol's passing. Although it is little consolation at this sad time, it should be of some satisfaction to know that in his passing you can celebrate the end of a very long and productive life.

The measure of a life well-lived is not in how much money one has or what possessions they have accumulated, but rather through the lives they touched and the sorrow they leave behind. If the outpouring of sympathy on his loss is any indication, and it most certainly is, you can proudly and confidently say that his indeed was a life well-lived.

I met Carol, or as I addressed him at the time, Mr. Shelby at the California Speedway when I was 19. He came to speak to Lewis Downs of Castro Valley California a good friend of mine, and I sneaked over to say hello and meet the legend that helped inspire my love of cars. I had introduced myself and shook his hand. He treated me as if I was the only person at the track. Although I know he was busy at that time, he still took a few minutes to make sure that I felt appreciated as a fan and that my first experience with meeting him was unforgettable. I feel fortunate that I had the chance to shake his hand.

I was previously part owner of Golden West Mustangs, Shelby's, and Specialty Fords of Hayward California. We had lost my partner and Cobra/Mustang/Shelby enthusiast Jeff Dunn last year in January. We had advertised for your jewelry product line on our website "www.TheMustangGuys.com" Since March of 2011 we closed our doors out of respect of Jeff Dunn.

I have a flag on my front yard at half mast for the man, the father, the legend, Carol Shelby. It will be at half mast for the next 5 days out of respect for him.

May you find peace and comfort in knowing that his loss is felt by all who knew and loved him. He will forever be remembered for the amazing contributions to the car racing world indefinately.

In Sympathy,

Douglas Johnson

16. You might want to read this.

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

R.I.P, Carroll Shelby..... Race in Peace.... You are missed.......

4TTRUK

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

A great Loss to our automotive world.......R.I.P.... "Race in Peace.."

4TTRUK

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"Speak no ill of those departed", I was always told...... Each of has their "moments..." for when all is said and done, we are but flawed human beings, all of us..... Remember the good things, and know they were Positive......

4TTRUK

20. A very interesting man.............sorry he is gone.

21. What a great loss to the automotive world, a sad day in history.

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

23. kracker36

kracker36

If Whitney Houston can get a flag lowered, then why not Carroll Shelby.

24. 35 Dodge and Saltflat Matt,,you should learn some manners and respect for the deceased..I'm not proud to have you on the HAMB

25. Mr.OldSkoolKustom

Mr.OldSkoolKustom
    from Washington

An Iconic Racer, Designer and Human being. There was only one. His legacy will live on... R.I.P. Carroll Shelby
    <!-- / message -->

26. If it borders on politics, it's not tolerated here. :)

27. shoveled71

shoveled71

RIP Mr Shelby, a great hot rodder and Ford icon...

28. Shoeboxke

Shoeboxke

R.I.P. Caroll Shelby You will be missed!!!

29. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Sad new for sure. I bought a 427 Cobra 36 years ago. He influenced me with the Ford stuff for years !! Have had/have a lot of his "creations" from years gone by. RIP Mr. Shelby :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  30. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

Thank you for ll you did for the hobby and racing you truly are a legend!! R. I. P. And god speed!