Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP Carroll Shelby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ole_Red, May 11, 2012.

1. Carroll had to give up racing in (I believe) late 50's because the docs said his heart couldnt take it ... so he played the cards he was dealt and look at his impact on the racing world.

RIP mister, you will be missed.

2. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My best Carroll Shelby story-
    I took my two sons to Dearborn in 2003 for Ford's 100th anniversary celebration. They had many Ford racing legends there signing autographs. Ford gave out a free magazine that had a centerfold with all of these legends pictured. My youngest son Derek decided to try and get all of the legends pictured on the centerfold to sign their names next to their photo.

He had collected about 90% of the signatures when he got in Carroll Shelby's autograph line. Carroll had a stack of these magazines that he had pre-signed to keep the line moving. Whe my son got up to the table Carroll tried to swap a pre-signed magazine for my son's magazine with all of the autographs he had already obtained. My son tried to explain that he needed his mgazine signed as he already had a lot of signatures on it . Carrol insisted on swapping magzines and told my son that it was OK as they were the same magazine. They went around and round for a about a minute and my son was afraid that he was going to lose his magazine with all of his hard earned signatures. Finally Carroll broke into a big grin and winked at me and told my son “well, I almost got myself a magazine with all of the Ford legend's sigantures on it without doing any of the work!” It is a cool story that my son still tells to his friends.

When my sons were born they each came home from the hospital in one of my Shelby Mustangs; the first in the 68 GT500 and the second in the 66 GT350H.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Awesome story...

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

RIP Carroll, you will be missed.

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Creator of the most iconic and copied sports car of the last 50 years

7. dudley32

dudley32

a ledgend...and will be sorely missed....

8. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

A loss to the whole automotive world. The days of history makers like Old Shel will never be repeated. RIP Mr. Shelby.

9. R.I.P. Mr. Shelby

10. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Another Legend Gone :( RIP Mr. Shelby. He Will be Missed.

11. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

he will be missed, i wish I had him sign my Viper's airbag cover when I had the chance, glad he helped design my car though!

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

When the original Cobra came out I was in Jr High. I have loved and admired the Cobra ever since. Never was able to afford one, but what a car. Without Carrol Shelby. the car hobby would not be the same. RIP Carrol, you deserve the rest

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A rest well earned. You made your mark Carroll and as long as a Cobra rolls America will be reminded what it's like to start with an idea and see it through to success. RIP

Frank

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Few men could ever gain the respect that C.S. enjoyed. Ford,Chevy,Dodge it doesn't matter we all enjoyed his automotive genious! His generation sure gave us all so much and he will be missed.

15. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I met Carroll twice and he made me feel like 'I' mattered....what a legend...he will live on for what he did forever. God's speed Mr. Shelby!

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

My sentiments exactly,.... RIP Carroll.

17. I'll make a point to go to the Cobra Owners Club of America's event tomorrow at Willow Springs. I can't think of a better way for a dreamer like myself to pay respect than to go watch some of his creations turn a few laps.

R.I.P. Mr. Shelby

18. just think what he's saying now....up there....thanks for the memories....like the 1-2-3 GT40 finish....

19. olpaul

olpaul

I saw my very first Cobra when i was 15 and it changed me forever. RIP Mr. Shelby

20. agshelby

agshelby

Never met him, but had to run out of the path of his cobra roadster golf cart at Barrett-Jackson. I just finished reading Go Like Hell. It's a great book about the quest for le Mans and has a lot of great history on what Shelby accomplished. Well worth a read !

21. RIP........ love them cobras ......... thx mr shelby....

22. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

RIP Carroll Shelby...A TRUE LEGEND.

23. 53 effie

53 effie

Thank you Mr Shelby, for your contributions to this world, not only in what you did in creating the Cobras, Shelby Mustangs and the other things at Ford in the 1960s, but for the rest as well!. A legend that most of us will never match in the number of achievements you accomplished. Not only the number but the lasting quality of them as well. You have made a permanent mark on my life and on so many others as well.

24. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

One of the great innovators of motor sports , he will be greatly missed , my condolences go out to his family and friends . R.I.P.

25. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

RIP Mr. Shelby.

26. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

RIP. It seems all the legends and heros from my youth are passing on.

27. Truly a sad day. He was one of my automotive heroes.

28. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

Dam, when I finally get back into my hot rods full swing again. I had always hoped to meet him at a show one day. RIP Shelby.

29. RayMiller

RayMiller

Sad sad day for sure!