Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32v, May 11, 2012.

1. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

can base paint as in base clear be mixed with clear and basicaly make it a single stage paint ?????????

2. Nope, it will hinder the gloss quality of the clear.

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

4. Master of None

Master of None

Depends on the brand. I've put a touch of base in my clear coat(PPG products) on a few customers cars to help with hiding. I haven't had a problem yet, but I could just be getting lucky. :eek:

5. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

whenever i want an answer i can trust, i try it myself. i've got a friend who is allways telling me how he heard about someone doing something a certain way, but no first hand knowledge. i don't know that i've heard of what you're asking being done,and there might be a good reason for it.but if you want to know what that reason is, try it on a test piece.date it, leave it outside and see how it looks in time.

7. I've haven't done it, but I've seen that done for a color blend repair job.
    then it was covered with straight clear as usual and them rubbed.

8. RexSr

RexSr

Yes it can be done. Actually, Kevin Tetz did it on an Episode of Trucks! and i believe if my memory serves me correctly, he used the Summit line of paints. But not to make it a single stage

He layed down his base coat first and followed it with several coats of a base/clear mix.

He started with something like a 70/30 of base to clear then 50/50, then another 70/30 of clear to base this time and then like a 90/10 of clear to base followed by a 100 % clear.

Dont quote me on the ratios but it resulted in a nice looking paint job on the piece he was painting. He said it was like a "candy" type paint job with the depth it had.

I cant find the episode that it was in but im looking for it and when i find it ill post it.

Heres his website in the meantime...
    http://www.paintucation.com/faq.php

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. paint2live

paint2live

What are you trying to accomplish? Paint a complete car? Not a good idea.. if you have base and clear then lay them down separetely. If you want more dept in the base coat you can add base to an intercoat clear which is just clear base coat to make what they call a three stage job. kinda mimicks the "Kandy" look. I've mixed base into my clear for small touch ups like hing and body panel bolts and i works fine. but wouldnt recomend it for anything larger. The q is what are you wanting to do with this "cocktail"

10. glaserit base coat could be added to create a straight color back when i used it [early 90's] but i don't know of any that can be now. i just asked this question to my ppg paint rep, he said no.

11. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The basecoat formula (at least with DuPont) is the same for either basecoat or single stage. HOWEVER, they use a different binder and balancer for each. I would think that once the paint is formulated/mixed, it would need to be applied as intended.

To be sure, you should check with the paint manufacturer to be sure you won't mess something up. Stu

12. I've done it to jamb stuff. I don't know about painting a whole car like that.

13. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

where i live i cannot buy ppg concept black ,however i can buy base clear but i do not like the plastic looking finnish of the clear .some of the cheap line single stage paints are available but the black is muddy . sooo i thought mixing black base with clear might work....dunno

14. I have heard of guys adding clear to a single stage in increasing amounts to give more of a laquer look to the paint but not adding clear to a base coat designed for base/clear.

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

With black basecoat, just shoot it until you have good coverage, then put about 10% of the black in your clear and shoot. But if the black is muddy, it might be the color, not the type of paint. Some blacks are very brown, some blue-ish, etc. Try a different brand.
    I've used HOK black single stage, and did this, but with single stage, since it is usually the same chemistry as a brand's clear, I do a 50/50 mix for the final coats.
    Base coat is a different chemistry than clear, made to cover quickly, has more opaque pigment, so it might not be advisable to mix too much base into clear, for longevity or for shine.

16. Ob1

Ob1

To avoid a muddy black in B/C, ask your paint supplier if the code you are using is made of a single toner color. In the line I shoot, Chevy code WA8555 and Ford code UA are both single toner colors.

Other black colors may have tiny amounts of other color toners, seems to my eye they get that muddy tone to them.

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just bought some DCC single stage black, but I understand the DBC is a base coat clearcoat only now. Any PPg dealer should be able to get it.

18. BISHOP

BISHOP

Can it be done, yes. But dont, because if you need to do a repair later, you will have a much harder time getting a match. It will be a real headache.

Mixing anything extra (as far as paint or solvent) in the clear ultimately weakens it anyway.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  19. There lots of different " black" shades.
    Centari pitch black is about the clearest blackest black that I have found.
    However I also find that it pics up hints of whatever other colors are around.
    Park next to a purple car, Orange, yellow, or on the grass, or under a nice blue sky, under a canopy or on concrete it looks different. Damn near invisible in a little shade though