Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broken I-beam axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodkiwi, May 8, 2012.

1. Ductile Iron grade 80-60-03
    http://matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=24a7379c54694694aa40db2f9a49fce3
    <table class="tabledataformat" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="altrow datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Ultimate </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 552 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 80100 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Yield </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 414 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 60000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class="altrow datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Elongation at Break </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">3.00 %</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">3.00 %</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

2. Ductile Iron grade 60-40-18
    http://matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=be37a34ca60a484394a1d28f5a02de67
    <table class="tabledataformat" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;"><table class="tabledataformat" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Ultimate </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 414 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 60000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class="altrow datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Yield </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 276 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">>= 40000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Elongation at Break </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">18.0 %</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">18.0 %</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr><tr class="altrow datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr><tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">

3. SAE J434 D4018 Ductile Iron
    <table class="tabledataformat" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Ultimate </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">414 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">60000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class="altrow datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Yield </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">276 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">40000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Elongation at Break </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">18.0 %</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">18.0 %</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>http://matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=85346cae30154566a3e01575e7b1c112

SAE J2477 AD 1400 Automotive Austempered Ductile Iron
    <table class="tabledataformat" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength at Break </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">1400 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">203000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class="altrow datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Tensile Strength, Yield </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">1100 MPa</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">160000 psi</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr> <tr class=" datarowSeparator"><td style="vertical-align:top;">Elongation at Break </td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">2.00 %</td><td class="dataCell" style="vertical-align:top;">2.00 %</td><td class="dataComment" style="vertical-align:top;">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>http://matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=3a1ac544e79b4d47b4a42c8e49ebc3dd

More:

http://matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=ductile iron

4. Does anyone know where Magnum axles are made??

5. This subject has come up several times in the past. Those of you that have broken anything from cast iron can relate to this.

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

I don't think that's a real concern. In a properly designed beam front axle suspension system, radius rods of adequate length will yield such small differences in caster changes from side to side that the affect won't come anywhere near the fatigue limit. Additionally, the twist occurs over the length of the axle rather than at an isolated point in the axle cross section.

Bob

7. If it is a Magnum axle it's not the first I've heard of failing.............how some-one can sleep with themselves knowing they sell a fatality in the making is beyond me.
    I guess a quick dollar makes up for it in the end................

8. bobscogin

bobscogin

You make it sound as though the manufacturer willfully and knowingly built a defect axle. That's an unfair assessment of that particular axle manufacturer whoever it may be. Any manufacturer of any part will have failures. Anyone who frequents this forum has seen failures of many different types of parts that could have had catastrophic results. So should every manufacturer of hot rod parts close up shop for fear of an occasional defect? I hope not. I'm waiting for the whole story.

Bob

9. 97

[​IMG]

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That axle doesn't appear to be a SB, unless the logo was ground off?????? Lots of axle MFG's out there and even some out the foundry back door. Would like to know the MFG of this axle.

11. Based on that pic, it doesn't look like a Socal axle.
    Notice the shape of the recess around the perch bolt boss.

[​IMG]

12. 97 or Hotrodkiwi : Does anyone know exactly what brand the axle is ???

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I just read this thread and with seven pages is doesn't say who made the axle. Does anyone know or did I miss it? It looks like an original dropped to me.

14. Has the same shape around the perch bolt boss as my Magnum, so thats my guess as to what it is.

15. 97

The picture was taken someone else, who apparently witnessed the mess and knows the owner.
    It was, according to my info a Magnum in a newly built 40/41 pickup with all new parts imported from the USA and bought from proper shops. Only done a few hundred kilometers.
    It obviously fits the standard wishbone...going by the picture , and that by all information available to me says it is a Magnum.
    The incident happened / picture was taken at a drive in show in NZ and was apparently witnessed by more than one hotrodder .

16. Sounds like Magnum has some serious quality problems.
    Or someone is selling counterfeit Magnum axles.

17. chiro

chiro

Soooooo happy I just sent my Henry "A" axle to Joe Casto at Joes speed shop to have him drop it. Peace of mind.

Andy

Hombre likes this.
  18. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

What is the best way to tell if an axle is forged or cast? Are all factory Henry parts forged?

19. The easiest way is to tap with a hammer and if it rings like a bell it's forged if it's a thud it's cast.Of course it backyard engineering at best but it does work,it helps if you hang the part so it's not touching anything.
    Yes all of Henrys axles are forged.

20. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Glad i got some early model ends when i decided to weld up my own a front axle

21. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Wouldn't the weight be different as well?

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Wow Jeff … glad it wasn’t worse
    Iv always thought that was about the weakest link in a front end …. But people are always looking at the axle like its the only thing under the front end.

23. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

SCAT crank - CHINA..... wait till people start telling their horror stories.

24. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

25. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That's it, I'm not going to drive or ride in any transverse sprung front-end car ever again. Now I'm too scared. Knowing they go 200mph on the salt shouldn't give me any reassurance they're safe, right? Wrong, this looks to me like an axle that's had years, or even months, of binding do to misalignment with the cross member. Maybe adjustable perches were in order. I sure would like to know more about this issue and it's resolution. Except for maybe a trip to the LA roadster show and back I won't drive one.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  26. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Just another reason to spend a little more time and money and find a REAL HENRY FORD FORGED AXLE or ..... a MERC CRANK. I don't feel sorry for people who buy this stuff. IMO.02

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Because at slow speed the steering components are under the most force/stress. You can drive 100MPH and steer with one finger. Crank the wheel while parking or turning into a driveway and that's when something will let go from the torque. Saw a Hot Rod snap a welded steering shaft while turning into a driveway. Couple of years ago I was walking out of the local auto parts store. Heard a "bam" and it was a lifted pickup slowly turning into the driveway. The tie rod completely sheared off. Probably a previous 'hit' had it hanging by a thread. the turn in the drive under torque finished it.

28. wanabe28

wanabe28

29. Wow - that's the exact same break. Supposed to be DCI but isn't. Freaking scary.

30. hotrodkiwi

hotrodkiwi