Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Clutch Popper Wednesdays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jan 6, 2011.

1. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

lower = better. love the updates. killer shop!!!!

2. erock805

erock805

Bird Looks AAWWWEESSOOMMEE! Something about a lowered roof and lowered car looks soo right! Thanks for all the updates...I live for these things. Shop looks great too...

3. Kingsway

Kingsway

Umm... it's Friday. Is everything ok? Did anything happen on Wednesday? Am I the only one who noticed?

4. erock805

erock805

no i check back every 30 min...with baited breath

5. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

I've been checking for activity for 2 days.

6. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

[​IMG]
    I saw these on some random thread, and I thought they would look really good on the T Bird. I know they are 1953 Cadillac... I just think they would match the lines of that beautiful car well!

7. I like those! Do a t-bird logo instead of the ford logo on them

8. sorry for the lack of update. Spring is my busiest time of year at work, that combined with life in general, and still trying to catch up after the 3 week move, I've been falling behind on everything!

Tonight was kind of a dud, Johnny is sick with the plague, Dave have to work late, and Charlie was MIA. That just left me and Fred. It was suppose to be Daves night tonight. I spent the night fixing my 64 F-100. I went on a parts run to George Moirs today, and half way there a heater hose sprung a leak. The fan sprayed coolant through all 102 louvers all over the windshield while going down the highway. It was quite a mess by the time the truck was back in town and in the shop. Replaced all the heater hoses, changed oil (it was only 12 months over due :rolleyes:) and then went to the car wash to wash out the engine bay, and the rest of the truck which had coolant dripping from every orifice.
    Afterwards I messed around on the T-bird. Put the grille in, put the hood latch in. Nothing major.

So for tonight update, I'm just going to post the pictures from last week.

Last week we worked on Johnny's 59 IHC.
    During the week, Johnny stripped the paint off the front clip, and Dave was handed the task of repairing all the rust in it. Lucky Dave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie started going through the tunnel ram set up.
    [​IMG]

Fat Dave and I pulled out the front axle. The stock front end needed brake drums bad, and IHC brake drums are extremely hard to find. Garys Auto here in town has a set of NOS drums, but their $800:eek:
    So the solution was to swap the front axle for something more common. Johnny found a complete dodge A100 front end on Kijiji for $300, so he bought it. Rebuild parts are dirt cheap, and easily available. Plus the A-100 uses the same bolt pattern s the IHC, so the wheels can stay!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The a100 axle didn't quite line up with IHC springs, so we had to do a little fab work.

[​IMG]

While Fat Dave and I were measuring, and cutting stuff, Johnny assembled the spindles with the new king pins.
    [​IMG]

Charlie making some head way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave almost done one fender...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Me cleaning up after cutting and drilling stuff....
    [​IMG]

And me welding on the new spring pads Fat Dave and I fabbed up...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Re drilling holes for the IHC u- bolts. The spring pads had to be moved in 2 1/4" on each side to line up.
    [​IMG]

And bolted back in!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

lookin good! love the updates!

11. brad2v

brad2v

Hory Fruck! $800 for a pair of drums? Wowzers. Good solution.

12. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

What a kick in the dick when a coolant line blows.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

13. hotrodgypsy

hotrodgypsy
    from reading,pa

Man,you guys have a great thing goin' on....

14. So after last weeks dud, we returned to normal this week. Everyone was here, including Fat Dave. We had Papa Johns pizza for supper, was great going in, but came out in a big hurry about an hour later :eek:

Tonight we through Daves fleetline up on the hoist. It needed some attention to the brakes. Driving it in to the World of Wheels in February, it lost all the brakes! While it was up there, Dave wanted to finsih off the underside of the 1/4 extension.

[​IMG]

All the brake lines were nice and dry, except the front right wheel cylinder. Upon closer inspection, the hose was loose, as well as the wheel cylinder itself.

[​IMG]

Charlie and Dave started on the sheetmetal work underneath.
    [​IMG]

Wow!!
    [​IMG]

Rear extension filler
    [​IMG]

The brake light switch on Daves car was a piece of shit. The brake lights would stay on, killing the battery. So tonight, I installed a pressure switch in the brake line. I mounted it next to the pedal assembly so the factory wiring could still be used from the old pedal mounted switch.
    [​IMG]

Johhny...
    [​IMG]

Fat Dave...
    [​IMG]

Me....
    [​IMG]

With the brakes all back together, we bled the system. Fat Dave was the pump pump pump guy.
    [​IMG]

And I cracked the lines....
    [​IMG]

Filler pieces in and seam sealed...
    [​IMG]

And with the brakes done, we washed the floor (there was a little spillage from the bottle of brake fluid falling over) and Dave took it for a test drive. He says the brakes work better than they ever have! Easy to believe after driving all last summer with a loose hose!
    [​IMG]

15. Thanks Lee. Is Dave planning to put skirts on the fleetline?

16. He has skirts for it. They were on it at what time, and they will be going back on in the future.

17. cool! the fleetline is looking sweet, i cant wait for this week's update!!! i forgot whos turn it will be. this shit is getting confusing

18. My turn this week :D

19. Last night was my turn, we took a break ffrom the t-bird to build a couple chassis'. LG Kustoms & Hotrods is donating a Model A perimeter chassis as the major prize for the Edmonton Street Rod Associations Summer Cruise on June 23. I'm planning on running the same chassis under my 31 sedan, so tonight we decided to get two birds stoned at once, and build them both at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fat Dave and I layed out the design on the first rail, and then Big Dick Dave started cutting shit up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie however, was working in the other side of the shop on the 327 out of my dragster. It's coming apart to get freshened up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure glad we pulled it apart instead of running it another season, bearings are toast!
    [​IMG]

Won't be at the races this weekend, thats for sure...
    [​IMG]

As we cut the rails up, Dave started welding them together...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And at the end of the night, we had 4 rails ready to be ground, and ready for the next step.
    [​IMG]

20. So I've been sitting at my computer since 6:18 am drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and looking at all sorts of crap on the internet. One of the things I've found was the Shifters CC is celebrating their 20th anniversary this year. This got me thinking about our club, and I relaized that this month is the 5 year anniversary for the Clutch Poppers.
    Yes, it was in May 2007 that Big Dick Dave Iggulden, Al Charron, Matt Hotte and I came up with the idea and started the Clutch Poppers.
    Over the last 5 years, the club has had 8 members, fucked up 27 cars, and of the 27 cars, 19 of them have made it on the road with a red wool Clutch Poppers jacket hanging off the seat. I'm pretty proud of that.
    Currently the club has 5 active members, Dave and Myself being the only original members. The other two original members, who have left the club, still remain great friends with all of us, and still hang out when ever they can. Johnny and Fat Dave were asked to join in Fall of 2009, and Charlie was asked to join in Fall of 2011.
    Of the 27 cars we've fucked up, 10 of them are still in the club, and currently only 3 of them are road worthy. Hopefully this number will grow over the summer, as Johnny's IHC is on it's way back together, as is my dragster, and Fat Daves Fairlane needs like a weekends worth of work to be roadworthy again.

Here are the orginal 4 cars that started the Clutch Poppers, 5 years ago...

My old 55 Pontiac (Traded off in December 2007)
    [​IMG]

Daves 51 Fleetline (Still in the club, and just starting it's second season on the road)
    [​IMG]

Matt's 53 Monarch (Sold in Spring 2008) Matt left the Clutch Poppers in Fall of 2008, and is now a member of the Old Souls CC
    [​IMG]

Allens 51 Ford (Sold in Fall 2008 for $11,000!!!!) Allen left the Clutch Poppers in Winter 2010
    [​IMG]

And our current line up....
    Daves 51 Fleeltine
    [​IMG]

My Fleet,
    29 Model A
    [​IMG]

31 Model A
    [​IMG]

64 T-Bird
    [​IMG]

64 F-100
    [​IMG]

66 RCS Dragtser
    [​IMG]

Johnny's Pair
    27 T Roadster
    [​IMG]

59 International B100
    [​IMG]

Fat Daves 62 Fairlane
    [​IMG]

And Charlies 53 F-100 (blame him for the shitty pic)
    [​IMG]

Anyways, just thought I would share with you all, continue on with your day....

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  21. Thanks for the update and the history of the clutch poppers. Interesting stuff.

22. I'm in love with you're old '55 Pontiac! Also Dave's Fleetline and you're old mans T-Birds are coming out rad!

23. Thanks. The Pontiac lives in Calgary now, and is in great hands!

24. hotflint

hotflint

2007, that long.... we should do a 5 year anniversary deal.

25. George G

George G

What happened to the Tall T I sold Johnny?

26. He sold it to join the roadster club. Besides coupes are for chickens...

27. George G

George G

Excellent decision.

Nothing like the open sky above.

28. Alright, update from last night. We ate some burgers at the shop, and then got started on Johnny's International. Dave and Johnny worked on the front clip, doing more rust repair.

[​IMG]

And shaved the bumper holes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brownies
    [​IMG]

Charlie started assembling the big block
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And towards the end of the night, Sasha came by and took a bunch of pictures of the roadster

[​IMG]

And that was last night! hope you enjoyed

29. Keep the updates coming!

Last edited: May 31, 2012