Register now to get rid of these ads!

73 galaxie brakes on 58 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lukey, May 7, 2012.

1. lukey

lukey

Anybody know if the front spindles from a 73 galaxie 500 will fit my 58 ford without alot of fabrication? Ive read about early 70s tbird stuff working, isnt this the same parts? I know all about aftermarket kits, i have a 73 galaxie tho. It has the correct 5x4.5" bolt pattern so my wheels will work. Just wonderin... Thanks

-LUKEY-

2. 77-78 t-bird parts work but supposedly you have to cut the upper control arms to be able to get a propper alignment on the 57-58 im not sure on the 73 galaxie parts they SHOULD be the same but dont know for sure

go over to 57fordsforever.com they have alot of info over there and most if not all should also apply to a58

3. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

1972 Torino or ranchero for sure. use with 1 inch master from original 57,58,59 ford or after market power assembly

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I put '79 LTDII spindles on my ''59 T'Bird, and they are coming off before the car moves. The steering arms on the newer spindles are MUCH shorter, I don't think it can be aligned without making new tie rods, and the geometry can't be right. I'm just going to rebuild the original drums, and swap out the disk/drum MC I mounted for a late '60's drum/drum master. Don't believe everything you read on the internet...

5. bigorford

bigorford

I have just collected parts for a similar conversion. '71 and prior LTD, Torino,and T bird use the exact same spindle, you can use backing plate, caliper and bracket, rotor and wheel bearings on your spindles, no need to remove them(unless you want to), so you don't even need to align the front end when done!
    They are BIG brakes (12") so you will need to run 15" rims.

6. I used discs from a 72 LTD on my 56 Fairlane. No mods at all, just bolted them on.
    I did change to a different master cylinder.