Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nosy neighbors should mind their own business!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racer12, May 10, 2012.

1. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

There has to be more to it than just the fact that your car is on your property. Why don't you try talking with your neighbors when you aren't pissed off and see if you can work out a compromise. Good luck.

2. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

I moved out of city limits where i can do as i please. Those neighbors are everywhere, just have to be courtious. But getting out of the burbs was the best thing i did. Such a headach

3. Seems like there has to be a lot more to this story. One car, that runs and "has air in the tires" and people are calling the City? For what? What is the complaint? there has to be something you're not telling us.

4. fsae0607

fsae0607

Damn I always make it a point to be very friendly and cool to my neighbors. So far they haven't complained about my compressor, chop saw & angle grinder!

5. Man glad to here I am not the only one with this shit. I have a neighbor that calls the cops so often they know me by name. I see them and they ask how is the project going. But I try not to be a butt head, I work on my 34 until 8;30 or so and try not to make it any later. But the lady two houses down and across the street just don't like any body to be doing any thing. So I smile and keep doing what I do. But talk to the neighbor and try to work with them. Good luck

6. zzford

zzford

Have you thought about taking their life?

7. pumpman

pumpman

When I hear these situations it makes me appreciate what I have "no neighbors"! I know I would not survive in that deal, but I commend you guys that are respectful of your neighbors and try to live within your community mind set. But you forgot one thing, if they're older we are just a bunch of hoodlums! Good luck brother, you'll figure out something.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've got a nosy neighbor across the street from me. He has one way glass on the windows facing my house and only comes out if he notices me in my yard or driveway. BUT... in his nosyness, he keeps an eye out for strangers and evil doers on the street. So, I let him slide.

My next door neighbor keeps to himself, but we speak occasionaly. Early one morning, I was tuning my T and had to run it for a bit. He was outside and I appoligised for the noise. All he wanted was to know what the hell I was building.

I've called the cops on some other neighbors, but that was because loud music at 2:00am escaladed into shots fired. They moved.

I think if you treat people right, they'll do right. Maybe get to know them a little. Be the good guy, not the bad guy.

9. Racer12

Racer12

Update, going to get it plated and move it back and forth every day or so. From what the police tell me as long as I do that all is good. I don't play loud music while I am working on it and my power tools are no louder than anyones lawn mower. And the car is an OT '72 Chevy Nova, trying to sell it so I can get an On Topic car! lol Just sucks because it's going to cost me extra $ to work on it in addition to the parts I have to buy. Don't really want to sell it, was my first car and my Grandparents bought it brand new!

Bob

10. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Why sell it then? A car that you like with that kind of history has cool that can't be bought.

Get your nova going, drive it and save some money to buy another car later.
    You can't buy the cool of a car that goes back two generations before you.
    It's nice to have a car to drive while you work on the next car anyway. It's fun to work on them, but it sucks to never have a car to drive.

I can just about gaurantee that if you sell it, you will regret it later.

11. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I'm glad you didn't end up moving next door to me afterall :rolleyes:

12. fbama73

fbama73

What I want to know is how anyone got the city of Indianapolis to do a damn thing.

We called animal control several years ago over fifty bazillion stray cats in the neighborhood and were told "We can't do anything about them- they're too wild. If you want to trap them, we'll be glad to come pick them up."

A good way to help avoid problems with the neighbors is to be a bit proactive. Saw the next door neighbor struggling with a repair on his van one day, and went over with a better tool and a bit of tactfuly worded advice- got him going pretty quick.

Once, I was out in the garage, working with a grinder when I saw them getting ready to cook out. I went over to the fence and asked if it was going to bother them. He said no, but I decided to find a quieter job to do anyway.

And sneaking over early on a snowy morning with a shovel before they're up and out tends to go a long way, too.

13. paintcan54

paintcan54

I live on the northwest side of "INDY" mover here 36 years ago. I was drag racing when I moved in, went around to all my neighbors then and met them, told them that some times there would be a loud car running for a short time. When they found out it was a FED they was cool with it, I would even get it out on the street and do a few hole shots to check things out, it's a dead end street. All the neighbors that were here when we moved in have passed away over the years, the new ones all know what I do and are good with it, I am the "Mayor of the street and the Asshole of the Neighbor hood", the sign on my garage say's so. Glad to see things are working out for you, Speedway it a tough place to live, I have friends that live there, I don't visit them much in my hot rods.

14. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i'm thinking it's not a neighbor close by-or maybe it's some jack wagon that wants your ride?
    here you have operational vehicles in your drive way {no more than 2 cars/truck in your own drive}& licensed & insured, if you store em it has to be behind closed doors:mad:,when i asked about bringing my Hudson home they told it had to running with plates & insured,i asked a bout covers/tarps--NO! unless you live on the 'other'side of town.shit there ya can cover your porsche-escalade-prius when ever ya want! i'm pretty cool with my neighbors i'm always shoveling the snow or fixxing their crap,
    Hell i'm waiting for the fun police to show up over this one!

Attached Files:

15. Don,
    My current neighbors don't seem to have a problem with my banging and clanging. That could change as I have two vacant houses as of late.

But I do things like don't work late at night with the garage door open, halp them when they need help, keep it clean arond my place.

Hell my neighbors have been known to do things like come by and visit, bring me coffee etc.

My last place I got a certain amount of grief, but it was not my neighbors it was the home owners association. What a pain in the ass, rental properties all over wirth junked out cars, meth labs and the like, the HOA bothers me about how many cars I had on the drive etc.

16. Lild

Lild

Sometimes even having a good relationship with a neighbor doesnt matter. I had one with mine. One night one of our kids let the dog out and went back to sleep. I completely understand the neighbors getting upset of a dog barking early in the morning, I would too, but instead of calling us they called the cops and now they avoid us. For one mistake theyve made things awkward for both of us. I hate the phrase but for Gods sake people need to "man up" and talk to the person they have a problem with

17. Scrounger

Scrounger

A friend of mine has neighbors who have a remote control airplane w a camera on it and will fly it over to check what he has/is doin.Another guy I know was storin a boat in his basement while the boat owner was remodeling.He recieved a note in the mail sayin he needed to pay personal property taxes on the boat in his basement.Turns out Brevard NC has somebody who drives around lookin in basements and driveways for stuff like that.

Im pretty lucky I have good neighbors.Only complaint is his 4cyl truck w dual exhaust at 4am and his occasional trash buring,just hope they can keep their place.I know they have been on the verge of losing it a time or two.

Around here theirs been a influx of out ot state folks and they seem to have the zoning board/refuse committe on speed dial.

18. I think I would advise my friend to buy a 10 gauge goose gun or loan him one.

In KCMO someone has to call in a complaint. I am in Raytown now, someone can call in a complaint if they want, but the code nazis divide the city into quadrants and cruise one quad quarterly looking for infractions.

They have left me alone as long as I have a tag on everything, they don't even have to be a current tag or registered to the vehicle. I was told by the city engineer that they are not going to bother looking it up, they find enough stuff wrong without making much effort.

We have an edge in missouri, it is illegal to photograph anything except what you can photograph from public right of way. If they can't see it from the road they don't bother because they have to have pohotgraphic proof. If they think you are a real problem they will get th proper paoer work to come out and do an inspection, then they can bother you for any little infraction. But as long as you are not getting called in complaints or your place looks like a dump from the street you are usually OK.

19. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Don't sell it! If you get rid of that car you will regret it fo rthe rest of your life.
    1. It was your first car (and a 1972 Nova at that)
    2. Your grandparents bought it new! (one family owned car)

My first car was a Nova and I wish I still had it today.

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sometimes it's your cars, and sometimes it's you.

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Like I mentioned, for a lot of my life I was "That guy" who used my yard and garage as my personal auto repair facility. At one time I had 5 Corvairs, a Mustang, and a 64 Chevy all parked in the backyard of our home. My Wife hated it and said we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies, and now I realize she was right. (Did I actually say that ? :eek:) But I had neighbors who I got along well with but now I feel bad that I exposed them to that mess next door.

In some of the places I lived the neighbors were not so tolerant and we had code enforcement and the cops visiting us fairly often. I thought the neighbors were just being nasty and I looked for them to do something wrong so I could turn them in. Again, in hindsight, I was really wrong and immature about that whole situation.

It is tough to be a car enthusiast and have to work on your cars in a residential setting. Everybody deserves to enjoy their homes in the way they want, and that includes the guy next door who doesn't get what we do.

Don

22. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

They only time my neighbors are nosey is when someone is sniffing around my property that shouldn't be. They'll ban together and run you out of town with torches like a lynch mob.

I'm also friends with all of my neighbors, I'm the guy ringing your bell with a cake when you move in across the street.

23. badshifter

badshifter

Post a neighbors eye pic of your place. Maybe you're not seeing it as it really is? How about a fence, or a hedge. How's the rest of the place look? Maybe cars are the excuse for a bigger problem? If "every time I find a place..some dumba$$ complains" you have to consider what you are doing may be a problem.