Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting new ca license plates black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwheelin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

hmmm... what year of car are we talking about here? YOM plates are the best, but if he's thinking about changing the color of the current 7 digit (or is it now 8?) CA plate, better be careful..

2. beauishere

beauishere

3. Fenders

Fenders

Just wondering if any one out there answered his question....

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

HOLY CHRIST LET IT DIE!!! To answer the question...it is ILLEGAL to change a license plate. SO DONT DO IT!. It's been answered time and time again. Simple as that!

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Asked and answered, see pic .

Attached Files:

6. Slickedwindsor

Slickedwindsor
    from Delaware

Granted it could be illegal or not, are you gonna go to jail along with the dude for telling him how to paint his tag? Sounds like a forum full of Cop Cars and Lincoln Lawyers here... Anyway I have done them in the past and the best turn out is to make a vinyl stencil, anyone familiar with vinyl could make this for you (oh wait that might be illegal). Another option is a film called spray mask where you spray it on the tag let it dry then can take an exato knife and cut out the area you want to paint. Last method is another material called frisket paper, basically a clear vinyl you lay over the tag then cut out the areas you wanna paint. When your all done you can clear em and you have a cool looking illegal tag. I usually use a semi gloss clear. I have in the past also used chrome vinyl for the numbers or letters and then just clear over them. Who cares if it's illegal as long as you have the money to pay for it! Hope this helps you out.

7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks MikeRose for link

9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i have a friend from a group i belong to that has a modern ca. plate that has been paint blkack and yellow, i think the "california" was painted on. it's a custom plate with special wording on it. it's been on there for years. i choose not to draw attention to him by saying what it says, but his ride is very finished and he does'ent act up by driving like a nut. i don't think i would like it that whenever a cop got behind me i could'ent relax. but everybody know's him(or her) by that plate.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Do you strip the reflective cover off before powder coating?

And how do you "reapply" a color that wasn't originally there?

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I had my personalized CA white plate:
    --> Stamped "CALIFORNIA"
    --> Sticker wells stamped in
    --> Painted black w/chrome yellow letters

And it looks awesome!! This was done three years ago and I've never had a problem.
    All of the cops I know don't care. None of them know the "black plates only have 6 digits" or "white plates only have 7 digits" or "black plate weren't available as personalized plates". All they care about is the letters on the plate are the same as the ones on the registration and the tags are current.

12. Dar73

Dar73

Yep.

I have used repo black plates from licenseplatetv on several cars. In fact I just tried to get another one made only to find out that the gentleman that makes them got squeezed by our useless CA politicians. I FN HATE beaurocrat mother F'ers. Modern plates on traditional cars look like crap and thanks to the Sacramento that is what we are stuck with. F' m.... paint it black!

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

OP sounds like he's just not gonna listen to knowledgeable folks, or heed the law. Guys like him get to pay for the education - at the courthouse. I don't even know why he asked - it's obvious he's going to go ahead.

64devi likes this.
  14. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I've seen lots of guys here in Colorado paint YOM plates to match their cars, don't know if it's legal or not but it sure looks dumb.

15. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Just do it and let all of us know what happens!

16. shakeydad

shakeydad

You can tint windows,just not the front ones in Cali.You can lower a car,different states have different laws on how low.You can have loud exhaust,different states have different laws as to how loud.Painting a plate a different color will get you in trouble.Why go asking for it?No doubt it will happen when you've had something to drink.If you choose to do it......please post the penalty when you get caught!Then we'll all know.

17. dirty4

dirty4

and we will send you smokes!.....:D

18. jimbousman

jimbousman

Paint'em. My wife'll bake you a bake with a file in it.

19. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

most cops won't care if they're close enough, just drive respectably..

20. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

He's not selling CA plates anymore? I wonder if he just cant ship to CA anymore?

edit: nevermind, just checked the site and California plates are not offered anymore.
    http://www.licenseplates.tv/index.php?main_page=page&id=18

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  21. I was shocked to see that this thread is still alive, and I found humor in one common thing that runs all through this thread:

Almost everybody who actually lives in California says to go for it, and everybody else in the remaining 49 states thinks you're going to sent to jail and be butt-wrenched by skinheads.

Too damn funny.