Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's used Howell's T coupe Wood Tops????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, May 9, 2012.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Just curious... I don't like dealing with Howell's as usually their products have a lot to be desired, but I hear they make the wood kits for the other companies like mac's antiques.

Is This true?? Would it make any difference to buy the wood kit from anyone else at a higher cost?

I'm about to pull the trigger but thought I'd get some testimonies!!!

Thanks Fellas!

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Never knew Howell to be making anything but sheet metal panels and patches.
    Check with Car-Line Mfg. in Beaumont TX 409-833-9757.

3. metalman

metalman

If the wood kits from Mac's all come from Howell's I'd be leary. A customer just brought in a wood kit for me to put in a T roadster, he bought it thru Mac's.
    Really poor quality, I could almost make it from scratch as easy as trying to fit this kit. None of the pieces fit very well, some of them not at all.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Great!!! Not what I wanted to hear.. but glad it's the truth!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Before you trash Howell's, I'm not aware that they are doing wood at all. Pretty sure they only do sheet metal.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'm not trashing Howell's, I'm going by first had experience with their patch panels!! That's a fact!

I thought they built the Wood kits themselves... who builds them then and are they quality??

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm not too sure who is making "T" wood right now. You might try with Lang's up in Winchendon, Mass. and see who they carry. I have never had a bad part from them.

8. metalman

metalman

I want to clarify my earlier post. The wood kit I have came from Mac's but I don't know who made it.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Thanks for clarifying Metalman!

10. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Go to Home Depot or Lowes,buy a good hard wood and build it your self. I built mine for my T coupe in my avatar. Easy and fun, screw finding the kit.

11. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

I called Langs about a wood kit for my 27 T coupe and they hooked me up with a place called Ford Wood as that's where their stuff comes from. Googled them and they had all kits and prices on their site listed. Hope this might be of help.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

that's my next thought.... if I gotta make a bad kit fit, I'd rather build my own!

I saw them, are they pretty good quality?

13. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

Don't really know as I've never seen their work. Did some searching at other suppliers Langs,Snyders and such and seems like all were about the same price but Ford Wood was a little higher. Also all the diagrams those suppliers used matched Ford Woods so I'm guessing Langs was right. I work with a guy who said they were top notch and he's a T fanatic but I can't say that for sure, just going by what he said. Like I said I don't want to mislead anyone just wanted to pass on another lead.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ford wood.com is owned by the Cubel family. They used to live in a small town not too far out of the Phoenix area and about 15 years ago I bought a body and top wood kit for my '29 pickup cab from them. It was absolutely top notch! At the time they let me drive up and grab it to save the shipping, too and they were super nice folks. I had heard they moved out of AZ but had always wondered where.

15. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

Website says Hunnington Utah. 435-749-0037

16. Mike

Mike

The Wood kit I put in my Deuce Tudor was from Ford wood.com. My kit was also top notch. I've seen a few kits from other companies that weren't nearly as nice. Delivery was a bit slow, but worth the wait.