Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 52 years between races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobrakesneeded, May 6, 2012.

1. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

So, for the first time in 52 years, my wife's uncle returned to a drag strip, this time only as a spectator.

I think I have created, or awoken, a monster in a 76 year old man.

Let me explain.

Phillip owned a black '56 210 hardtop. Raced it on the streets of Houston when and where he could. He, along with his friend, Don, would do as most hot rodders would do. Set up a race, meet on a desolate road and run. Mostly for a few bucks, once for pinkslips (without Phiilip's knowledge). Even a race with a local on-duty deputy.

Phillip and Don figured it was time to build something a little quicker than the '56.

So came the dragster.

The car was built entirely in his one car garage and raced in the '58-'60 seasons until a new family situation forced Phillip out of racing. Don carried on and raced the car several more years until the car was reportedly sold to someone in Louisiana.

Phillip could not get over the fact that he was not involved with the car to the point that he had stomach pains at the mention of the car or going to a race with his friend.

I believe the car was still to be in Louisina sometime in the mid '90's.

52 years after his last race, Phillip attended his first race again.

I get a call this morning from Phillip. He is interested in finding his car again.

So here I am asking anyone knowing anything about this car, to help me locate it.

The car ran C or D gas depending on the weight running a 283 and later a 310 and a 327. Hydramatic with a Jeep rearend shortened on one side to compensate for the factory offset. Anglia front end with 12" wheels and cut moon discs and a set of blanks on the rear that were a gift from AJ Foyt. The car was originally blue but later painted gold.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

Pics

Attached Files:

3. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

2 more

Attached Files:

4. Good luck with the search.

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Cool car , Good luck on the search

6. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

Thanks for the luck. I'll definately need it.

Car was raced at Freeway(Houston), Green Valley, Caddo Mills, among other Texas and Loisiana tracks as well as '59 and '60 Championships.

7. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

2 more pics I found

Attached Files:

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

In the meantime, start gathering up the parts to re-create it and draw up a set of plans for the chassie , this will put a spark into uncle Phillip. Good chance the cars no longer around or the person who has/had it is not connected to racing/hot rodding anymore. So by doing a re-pop if it does happen to show up chances are it wont be anywhere near usable or complete for a 55 year old car. By starting fresh it will give you huge quality time with your uncle instead of waiting around the computer for a reply.

9. nobrakesneeded

nobrakesneeded

To the top once more.

Looks like I'll be starting to look for parts soon for a recreation.