Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recommendations Needed for a Rear End Shop in the Metro Detroit Area....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, May 8, 2012.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

preferable on the west side as the wagon is in my driveway in Livonia but I've got 100 miles AAA towing so I guess it really dones't matter as long as the place comes highly recommened.

Its a 60 Pontiac rear still. One of the rear wheel bearings let loose last Thursday night (I know, I know). Had them both replaced but the shop said there is something wrong with the rear as well and it's beyond them to fix. It's making a noise at 40 MPH. I'm looking for a highly recommended shop as I want to do this right the first time and obviously one time.

Thanks in advance

2. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Cant help you with a good shop in the area, but bake em some cookies and you'll have them under your powers :)

See ya at Woodward.

3. when i lived there(westland) used to take my syuff to DTS 696 and grosebeck area. had more work done at michigan driveline ( i think) been a long time on that one.) telegraph and northline area, did my drag rear and also my friends 73 newport. any good trans shop in shold be able to help if you need something closer, not sure exactly where your at though. after 40 yrs groing up there im sure i could come up with a few more places if i make some calls. good luck.

4. call donnie walsh in wixom D and D motorsports should be able to give you a lead if thats you west side.

5. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Out of your way, but Phils Transmission in Clio, Mich does great work. :D

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for the leads so far guys.
    DTS really screwed up the rear in my Olds so I'm not using them again.
    Anyone hear good things about Ring and Pinion Shop in Waterford by chance?

7. id take it to moser in indiana ............yeah i know its kinda far and youd have to pull it out of the car

if your wheel bearings went south that quick your housing may be bent and thats mosers area

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's got a good point in post #7 in that it might be wise to pull it out and ship it off to the experts and be done with it.

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I thought you went thru this a couple years ago while out on the road. And had a major rebuild done.

10. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

I'd bet DTS would rather make it right with you rather than have a problem post/thread. They are reputable and nobody stays in business screwing up jobs.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yes, with my '47 Olds convert. This is a new to me '60 Pontiac that had just about everything redone before I bought it EXCEPT the rear. Go figure huh??

They gave me all my money back when my rear exploded in Dayton Ohio on my way down to the Turkey Rod Rod shortly after they replaced it. They know they messed up and they did make it right by me BUT I missed 10 days in Daytona Beach because of it and there is no way I'm going to trust them with another car of mine. They actually fucked up the Baer brake caliper on Dad's '56 Olds and my Dad was shocked that I was going to use they after his issue. Well two screw ups in one family, we're staying away.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  12. Denise,
    If you decide to pull the whole thing, I can take it out for you in my shop in Plymouth. I can pick it up from your driveway with my trailer, too.

Dan

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for the offer bud. I sure would like to get it done locally. If you pulled it out for me where would you take it locally if it was your car. If I send it out I'll miss the Jalopy Showdown next weekend. There's GOT to be a local shop/guy that can handle the job. I've even have an extra '60 Pontiac rear here for parts.

Your digits still end in 3979? Can I call you tomorrow during the day??

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't get anywhere, let me know. I've done Danas, 9" Fords, 8.8s, 10 n 12 bolts, Mopar 8 /34. Did a big olds once too, the old drag race type. Yours can't be much different than any of those. Is your spare rebuildable/complete?

15. jkperformance

jkperformance

You should call Scott Tieman @ Supercar Specialties in Portland Mi. I dont have his number in front of me and I dont know how far away from you. The best Pontiac resoration guy in the US. He will know the best Pontiac guys around. I do alot of ring and pinion work here, but a bit far away.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks bud! Yes, it's complete.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'll call him in the morning and pick his brain and see if he's got a local lead. Thanks!

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I suggest changing out the rear end ... and using your spare. :)
    If you were closer ... I would do it for you ... even if you are no longer a TOPLESS kind of girl :eek:

19. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Well, I can't blame ya based on this...
    Wow.

20. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Haul that spare axle over to Moser. They'll put the housing on the jig, make it straight, and go from there. Do a complete rebuild, and never have anymore problems.