Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Josh,
    I just got my new Vintage Motorsport (May / Jun 2012) and when I got to the HUGE article covering Zakira's Garage I said to my self, well, dang, that's one of them guys from the HAMB. I kinda feel like I know him. Congrats all around. What a cool place to work. Gary

2. Funeral services for Kenny Van Blargen, who died last week, from complications brought on by an unfortunate accident at the track at Havasu City, Arizona; will be held at noon, Wednesday May 9th at the Kuehl-Waters funeral home on Spring Street, in Paso Robles California. Afterward, a celebration of Kenny's life, and racing, will be held at the Woodland Automobile and Racing Museum at the Estrella Warbirds complex at the Paso Robles Airport.

3. designs that work

designs that work

Lemoore Ca. has had two dirt tracks for Micro's. The original 1/10 mile and the new supposedly 1/8 mile. As Mike said earlier they are scary fast. Jason Meyer World of Outlaw Champ is a Lemoore grad.

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG]
    photo courtesy Estrella Warbirds Museum

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

6. brcisna

brcisna
    from illinois

Hello All,

Been away from this thread for some time. I could sit and look and 'listen' to the yarns being spun here for hours. Quite some time back someone mentioned about Les Hill ,almost a year ago,and I have not seen anyone mention any stories of Les? Just kinda surprising. This picture would be either 1969 or 1970 so this should be a 'vaild ' post for this thread.

http://www.eazylivin.net/media/epp6.jpg

This was taken at Mobile Speedway. Les Hill with Ellis Palasini. Most people on this thread would proably never heard of Ellis as he run strictly asphalt tracks tracks across the south. Ellis did in fact win many races during his years of racings 'skeeters' as they were called in the Mid-South,South.Talking to Ellis via phone a few months ago, He said He is to the best of his knowledge the only person to have ever gotten a USAC license from the state of Mississippi.
    If you look in the background you may recognize a 'non--openwheel' driver,,,:)
    I always thought Les whas ahead of his time in design work on sprint cars. I guess each builder that lived and breathed building race cars were in their own style,,huh?

Take Care,
    BC

7. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Kenny, Rest in Peace

Attached Files:

8. Racer12

Racer12

Saw some shots of vintage Sprints on two guys garage on Speed this morning from the car show in Cincy! Very cool, they should have showed them in more detail instead of the two guys!!!

Bob

9. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Godspeed Kenny Van Blargen, prayers to you family

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well, it's early May,the sun is shinning and the weeds ae growing. Always a fun time to re-examine the Indy "odballs"
    If you think R/Es ruined Indy you can blame this guy:rolleyes: Crude and rude, even by 1936 standards, you gotta give him credit for thinking outside the box. The hub caps are a especially nice touch.

Attached Files:

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Lee Oldfield, SAE Engineer, former Indy 500 vet and member of AAA Contest Board Officials.
    The car shown (Marmon V-16 powered) never got up to speed, Lee hadn't raced since 1914.

Side note: Lee caused one of the worst auto racing accidents in US history at Syracuse in 1911, driving a 'green' Knox and trying to catch and pass Ralph dePalma-here's link to a newspaper report:
    http://www.lebanonvalleyclassics.com/HTM/Syracuse Tragedy.htm

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  12. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

This is a photo of the car without the bodywork. It actually looked pretty streamlined when it was all together. And as you say, he was at least doing some independent thinking when it came to his design; something that is pretty much missing in nearly every form of modern racing.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Oddball, only because it was so much different than the rest of the field. Pretty neat piece IMO, kinda has a 'Buck Rogers' look to it. While Frank Kurtis is generally regarded as the father of the Indy roadster, this rig had about 20 years on him.

Attached Files:

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

From the 'If One Is Good Two Must be Better' file, Bill "I'll drive anything" Cheesbourg at the wheel of this creation. I read once where they went through 6 of those' Porshee' mills before they finally gave it up.

Attached Files:

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow. The polar moment of inertia on that would have been akin to an aircraft carrier.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No wonder, that's super crazy stagger. Gary

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

From the 'Dyslexic Engine Mounting' file:

Attached Files:

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

But Rootie, this car was a winner! Twice at Milwaukee and once at Trenton.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I know, but that doesn't make it any less "odd". For that matter,the oddest of the odd, Smokeys sidecar, was cutting some good laps before Johns backed it into the wall. Probably would have made the show and with only about a dozen or so finishing the race, well, who knows.......?

20. wilburshawfan

wilburshawfan
    from Indiana

Does anyone have a photo of Lee Oldfields rear engine car with all the body on. The only photo I've ever seen of it is like the one posted. I understand it was built in a barn near Mooresville, Ind. There is a Oldfield lane. east on Mooresville that runs off of Ind.#42.........

21. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Here's a link to an article about the car. And it has some photos of the car in Oldfield's shop. And notice the Alfa Romeo in the background. I have seen a photo of the car on the track with the body on and it kind of reminds you of something that would be at home at the Oakland Roadster Show today. Remember that riding mechanics were still required at the time so it was fairly wide in the cockpit area. I'll see if I can find the photo somewhere but in the meantime maybe someone else already has access to one.

http://theoldmotor.com/?tag=lee-oldfield-special

22. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

The latest I can report on the vintage Indy cars at Indy this year: The cars will run on Thursday May 24 2:30-4PM...will be displayed on pit road on Community Day Wednesday May 23..unfortunately the latest is the cars will be displayed in the Formula One garage area - but no tent for Carb Day this year, so the cars will be not be on display on Carb Day (Friday May 25)...so those of you that want to experience seeing the cars will need to be there either or both Wednesday and Thursday..approximately 49 vintage cars are expected..I'll be there with Bill Akin's roadsters again this year...Hope to see some HAMBers present...drop by and say hello...Joe

23. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I understand that .. newly restored .. Ken Brenn's Ford 4 cam powered, RE Indy car will be there this year.

I ??THINK?? it's the Gerhardt chassis #57 and later #88 car that Bob Harkey and others drove for Brenn?

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Just last year it looked like Bill Barringer had run his final lap. Heavenly intervention, Good Doctors, loving wife and friends and a burning desire to get back on the track
    helped him rejoin life.
    Last Sat night he took the car out with Billy Shuman's West Coast Vintage Racers at Cocopah Speedway, in Yuma, AZ.
    First time ever on the dirt!
    Way to go Compadre!

photos by n2 photographics
    http://www.n2photographics.com/gallery2/v/racing_photos/Racing+Photos_016/Vintage-26-9363.jpg.html
    [​IMG]

25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

26. easter

easter

Yep! I was there Jim. That's my dad Luke in the white #54. And, that's not Jim Moughan, it's Curly Boyd driving Hector's that day. July 1967 IMCA. Karl Busson was leading the feature and Dad was running 2nd, but about 1/2 track behind. Dad had finally got around a group of lapped cars and was catching Karl. Karl then got around another group of lapped cars going into #3. Coming off of #4 Dad saw the group ahead of him and the 1st car in that group blew an engine. There was oil over the entire front straight. Cars went sliding and crashing into the front stretch wall, the turn #1 wall, and I believe at least one went over the wall. Dad hit the oil, but had gotten off the throttle soon enough that he would be semi ok. He hit the outside wall right at the end of the grandstand going into #1 and had slid back down the track. Sitting cross ways with his nose up the bank, Dad was waving his arms that he was ok and they should look after the other drivers who were really torn up. At the last moment he heard an engine coming wide open - Curly. I don't think he got off the gas until he was clear backwards past the flagstand. Dad's car was nearly broke in 1/2 after that impact. The photographer got the moment of impact. If Curly had hit Dad behind the front wheel, he probably wouldn't have made it out ok. Dad took a real beating from this wreck - of course Curly was alright. That UPI photo ran nationwide that weekend. My avatar photo shows the same day during the start of the fast heat. Dad won that heat race and it was announced he had set a new World Record (beating Darl Harrison's), but it never made the IMCA yearbook. Crazy day. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had just turned 11.

27. easter

easter

By the way, that car of my Dad's belonged to Bob Howell from Howell Transportation in Coshocton, Ohio. It started out as a brand new Trevis 4-bar. It was nearly destroyed at Ohio Valley Speedway in Parkersburg, WV., and then turned into a springer front. It was teal, then red, and then white. Howell sold the car around 1968. I loved that car. If you have it or know where it is, please let me know. I have no money, but I'd love to go hug it. Bob Easter Also - that car had been driven by Larry Dickson, Dean Mast, and others.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  28. racer5c

racer5c

Via Jerry Castor

Hi All:

I received word today from Judy Ates that she will hold a memorial service for Sonny on Wednesday, June 27th at the Salem Speedway. Time is 10:00AM. Because the track meant so much to Sonny and had such an impact on his racing career, he asked that his ashes be scattered around the half-mile. Judy is inviting Sonny's many racing friends to attend the event. And bring along a 'Sonny story' to tell. Hope to see you all there. Be safe.

29. brcisna

brcisna
    from illinois

30. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

OOPS!!!! .... My mistake. .... That car won't be ready until NEXT YEAR (2013).