Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., May 8, 2012.

1. I am looking at either a 64-66 Mustang radiator or a 55-57 Chevy Radiator to run in my 49 Ford coupe. MII front subframe (Fat Man), 350 sbc, 200-4R trans. Which would be my best option here? Seems that the 55 Chevy radiator fits nicely with no plates needing to be made except small spacers or washers.
    Which one would you guys suggest to use? The Mustang unit just seems small to me... I do not have $500 for a new unit so looking for a cheaper alternative that Speedway Motors $518 55 Chevy radiator. Thanks in advance for any info!

2. Just put a mustang in mine. 225 bucks new

Attached Files:

3. Looks good! How does it cool in the summer and in traffic? At first I was dead set on this Mustang unit but today a few people looked at the used one I have that I was going to use out of a 65 I believe and they said that it's way too small and won't cool a Chevy small block... I am hoping they are wrong because I do not have anymore money to shell out for this car for quite some time...

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here for threads on sources for radiators and the Shoebox Ford Social Club.
    No reason a V8 Mustang radiator will not keep Chevy cool, if using good multi-blade fan, etc. I have a '51 and measured Shoebox Chevy rad at a swap meet this past weekend and it was too wide - 6 or V8.

5. Voodoo Trucker

Voodoo Trucker

I had my stocker rebuilt with 3 rows of 5/8 tubes. Cools a mild 350 in the AZ heat with no problems at all.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The condition of your used Mustang radiator (free flowing, not clogged) will be the most important factor in whether or not it is adequate, then having a fan close enough to it, or a suitable shroud is the next most important......

Ray

7. Ray, the thing is pretty darn clean from just looking at it. I will give it a shot and if it starts to over heat I'll buy a new one. I plan to make some kind of shroud and also have a panel under it in the open area between it and the crossmember so air flow is not robbed by the big open spot. This should be plenty I am hoping.

8. I don't know how it cools since i haven't drivin the car but i'm confident it will. I've never had a sbf with overheating problems but alot of friends running sbc seem to be a little more sensitive to heat. The rad is small but fairly thick and i'm running a 5 blade big ass flex fan. Don't forget, i live in a cooler climate to.

9. I have heard that sbc 350 runs hotter than a Ford small block 302. Not sure if there's any truth to this but heard it more than a handful of times...?

10. While on the subject of cooling here... What brand water pump is recommended? I was thinking just running a basic iron deal from NAPA or Auto Zone for about $30-$45, paint it and let it roll but not sure. I have never used a stock type like this and if I do will run one from a 69 Camaro and short shaft of course... Every other brand from Summit is in the $60-$200 range and I for sure am not going to pay $100 and up since I am not going for flashy chrome here.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Checkout an article on the U.S. Radiator web site. In '65, the Mustang radiator couldn't cool a Mustang. It wasn't until '67, they got a radiator to cool a 289. They also talk about retro-fitting a '67 radiator into a '65. The one thing I don't scrimp on is a radiator.