Register now to get rid of these ads!

early riverside and stardust raceway video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JustplainJ, May 7, 2012.

1. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

this is some 8mm film that I just found and converted it to video.
    it was taken by my dad around 1965-66 at riverside and stardust raceway in vegas if you see any drivers our cars you recognize please post about it.
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/41750565" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

2. Don't recognize any of the cars or drivers, but I dig it anytime there's some vintage film involved. I do recognize the chicane/s curves at Riverside, though... I'm from the IE and used to race dirt bikes at Riverside just before they closed it down and built the Moreno Valley Mall or whatever it's called...

3. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Killer stuff.

#36 at riverside was Dan Gurney in a Lola Ford.

At Stardust # 4 & 5 were the McLarens of Bruce McLaren and Denis Hulme. #7 was the Lola of John Surtees who you see fiddling with the carbs. #66 is of course the Chapparral 2E of Jim Hall.

4. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

thanks for the info no one has ever seen this footage....

5. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

I believe that is Stirling Moss at the end of the film.

6. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

I think this pic. is from the same race

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. jjordan

jjordan

The Riverside footage looks mostly to be the support race ( Mustangs, Corvettes, red 911 that everyone is cheering for.), but the shot of gurney in the lola t-70 is great. I think the last part is from the last race at Stardust(?), watching Surtees fiddle with his carbs, shot of Denny Hulme in shirt sleeves, and that orange #4 Mclaren (would that be bruce mclaren behind the wheel?). Shot of Hall going out in the Chapparell, didn't he have a huge wreck at the end of this race, destroyed the car and about ended hall's driving career.