Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cleaning an engine block (Looking for a cheap alternative)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matysik, May 7, 2012.

1. matysik

matysik

I have a 318 that I am going to use right now that needs to be cleaned and I'm looking for a cheap alternative to getting it hot tanked at a shop. All specs in the motor check out so it doesn't need machine work, but the cheapest quote I had on just a hot tank cleaning in my area is 200$:eek:

That's the price of my new bearings, rings, and intake manifold in just a quick cleaning. The motor just has some slight sludge inside so I'm basically wondering if there is a good way that other people low on cash are using to freshen up an engine block at home without a parts cleaner tank or hot tank.

Obviously the outside is coming clean pretty easily right now with simple green but I just need a way to get the inside as clean as the outside.

Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated as I'm flipping this Dodge Dart in order to get funds together to put together the '32 chassis I have sitting in my garage

2. big creep

big creep

pressure wash the fuck out of it!

3. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I use cans of oven cleaner from the dollar store. Works GREAT and it doesn't get much cheaper.

4. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

cover it in purple power for under $10 then pressure wash it clean.

5. silversink

silversink

2nd on the oven cleaner from the 1$ store

6. matysik

matysik

pressure washing the internals doesn't have any negative effects I take it? Thanks for the responses!

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just cleaned up a flathead engine by buying a big plastic storage tub from Home Depot (big enough to hold the whole engine) and then I bought 5 gallons of diesel fuel. A couple of hours with throw away paint brushes and the whole thing is very clean. I plan on doing only a ring, bearing, and valve job overhaul as the motor was pretty clean to start with, but it looks much better now. I removed the heads and intake so I could scrub in there and let the cleaner run down through the block, which also had the pan off,

I think I have under $ 40 in the tub and diesel fuel.

Don

8. Superclean and a pressure washer, For small parts I use an electric turkey roaster and superclean or simple green.

9. well i used to spray them down with keroseen, that would de rust it after the pressure wash and the oven clener is good keep it off the hands:eek:

i use a vacum sandblaster as a parts cleaner works prety good also wash the roadster with it

10. matysik

matysik

I actually have about 3 gallons of diesel and 5 gallons of keroseen just sitting right now so I might try those first and go from there.

Thanks again for the ideas

11. I use molasses and vinegar. It only eats the rust.

Wrap engine in a plastic/bag as you lower it into a container/trash can. To cut down on the amount of vinegar needed.. fill in around the outside of the bag/plastic sides. Whatever you can come up with to take up some of the room. That way it doesn't need so much to keep it submerged. Then hose it off and dry it as quickly as possible, to slow the flash rust that's going to occur.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Please, please be responsible with the chemicals and detritus when you're done with the cleaning. I am not a tree hugger, but dumping that in the gutter or down any drain is not a good and decent thing to do.

13. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Any of the chemicals mentioned above, and then hook the pressure washer to your hot water tank, instant steam bath.

14. mugurpe

mugurpe

diluted simple green (50/50) then carb cleaner on any bits that are giving you trouble.
    The por15 engine block paint kit comes with 2 additional cleaners, which I used as well.

15. That's what i'd use.....I love the dollar store!

16. Westco48

Westco48

Hell of a good idea!!...i use purple power from home depot, cheap and very effective...then I water my trees with it.:D

17. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Pressure wash(the water heater idea above is a good one), degrease, then pressure wash with soapy water (we use Tide laundry detergent), then rinse with water, and finally blow it very dry with compressed air. Pull out your rifle cleaning kit and go to town on all the oil passages before you hit it with the soapy water.

The name of the game is elbow grease...so lube those funny bones. Even after we pull a block out of the hot tank, we still wash it by hand to be certain it's good and clean.