Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why Automatics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trbomax, May 7, 2012.

1. I went with an auto in my 54 because I want a comfy cruiser that my wife is willing to help me drive on long trips.

The other reason was that I had a free 302 sitting in the garage and an AOD was a cheap thing to bolt to it....funds were tight at that beginning of my build.

My next car however, will be a full-on traditional 29 on deuce rails with a clutch and something like a nailhead for power. It'll be totally breaking my "no-trailer" rule, but I think it'd be cool to build an old school style trailer and pull the 29 down the road behind the 54 Ford.

You know that would turn some heads.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. 117harv

117harv

I would also add that many just don't want to go through the hassel or or know how to fab all the linkages. A master and pedal is pretty easy to get and mount.

3. Tommy R

Tommy R

There are plenty of legit reasons to have an automatic, but seeing a hot rod with one always drops its "cool factor" down a peg or two. There's no way my hot rod is getting one. Manual transmission all the way, plain and simple.

In a kustom, however, I think autos are just fine.

4. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Lots of people who look in the window of mine will think it's an automatic.
    No one is use to seeing a three on the tree anymore!

They'll call mine an automatic and look at the guy with the Lokar shifter and think his is a manual. Not that a three on the tree is very hot rod either.
    Doesn't matter to me though.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

While the sticks are fun when you are a youngster, the standard trans gets old real quick when you get stuck in traffic and need to crawl along.

A lot of rodders like me are getting older and some like me have hip problems that make automatic transmissions a god send.

There are plenty of reasons for automatics, thats why I'm putting a C4 in my 26 RPU behing the Y Block.

I'll still have plenty of fun in a small light car with good power.

Hip replacement will fix the hip but the automatic stays.

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

In some cases people use automatics because the are intimidated by clutch linkage. Coaxial, in-the-bellhousing hydraulic release bearings have simplified that, but some find hydraulics and pedal installation a little scary too.

7. Bingo,I just finished a 5 speed car and after 9 years of construction I find that in my exuberant youth combined with my mutable broken bones during that time my clutch leg don't work like it use to.

I suspect a lot of guys in there 60's have similar problems. HRP

8. Yea but I think they were talking about Ronnie. Gawd know they were not talking about anyone that ever pitted near me. :D

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I think automatics are junk....

10. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

always had a b/m hydrostick since they came out
    nothing shift as hard as the hydro..........
    just put in a MikesTransmission Monster 350th with a line lock
    once a auto comes up to temp it is consistent run after run.......
    my son is going to get serious about racing it , still running olds w/5.38
    summers bros. axles&spool............

11. Automatics can shift much quicker if build right. Last longer, easier on a motor, no clutch explosions, you don't have to resurface a flexplate, easier on people with bad knees and what not, cheaper than buying clutches left and right. You can shift em like a stick just don't have to use the clutch (1, 2, drive). Basically, idiot proof. I like an automatic. My father knows a guy who's great at building em. But, if I build a traditional rod I think I'd opt for a 3- or 4-speed stick.

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

It's because they are all a bunch of pansy's ........automatic's suck and are no fun to drive......LOL. Now you have got me wondering if automatic's are traditional?......LOL Now before some of you go getting your pannies in a wad, My post is mean't to be funny and is only done so in good fun. No pun intended....

13. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

It's called an option.

14. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

barely enough room for the two pedals in my 27 muchless a third and no knee room.

15. When you get beat up & have as many replacement parts in ya as your ride does, you'll be happy to push only on the gas & brake pedal when you drive.
    I love my 4 & 5 speeds but my knees & back just doesn't allow it anymore..joe

16. appaRATus

appaRATus

My OT f250 has a 6 speed, my work truck has a Eaton 10 speed, so when I get in my 55 the last thing I want to do is use a clutch and stick.

17. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Because guys like us who have terrible knees can't push in a clutch...

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

18. davidh73750

davidh73750

My last 2 cars were 3 on da tree. I decided next one would be an auto and the 200R for my 55 was a great deal.
    Congress with 3 on the tree isn't fun during LSR.
    However my 58 yeoman has a 3 speed with OD. I am tempted to put a lil 283 behind it. with the 4:11 gears it will be peppy in town OD to fly down the road.

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

My wife and I are old enough for Medicare...And neither of us has ever owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission,even in past marriages ,lol.I feel for you guys with leg issues that want a stick.

20. I raced in my youth. I replaced the old bad syncro tranny in my 1951 Ford pickup with a C4. Much nicer truck to drive and it likes the hills much better here in the mountains where all the people pull up to within two inches of your bumper on a hill.

21. jroberts

jroberts

I think the reasons for automatics have been pretty much hit on here. I have a t-86 w/overdrive in my Champ pickup with a floor shift conversion. Love that overdrive. The Studebaker Crusier had an automatic originally and it just seemed appropriate for a car that will do a lot of high way mileage to keep it an automatic, but it will be a 200r4 behind the original 283 Again gotta love that overdrive.

22. phukinartie

phukinartie

I am plain assed LAZY!

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

modern overdrive autos work well versus changing gears all the time no contest changing gear is a pain in the hole

24. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

size 14 shoes in a 4 inch chanelled car

25. I'm thinking, that when we were in high-school, the four speed was king because aside from the "slipandglide", the only other auto's were hydros and 400's that most of us just couldn't afford. Most all the other autos were junk.
    Finding standard cars was easy, and we were young, so clutches and trans swaps were no big deal.
    I know in the mid 60's, when I started this obsession, if there had been relatively cheap and dependable 350 turbos, and autos with overdrive I would have used them.
    Try putting a 454 with an 11" clutch in a highboy 29, find room for three pedals, and work up a decent set of hydraulic pedals that don't cost more than the turbo 350 transmission by themselves. I sold (gave away) my Saginaw at Pate and still got enough to pay for the auto that I'm replacing it with. Shifter and all.
    It's about having fun. I really don't care if the car next to me is more traditional than mine, I just want to have fun with mine.

26. tjm73

tjm73

Here's the deal....

It's what they want in their car for any of a number of reasons they don't have to explains to anyone.

Easier to package. Simpler. Maybe they can't push a clutch all the time (bad knees?). Lots of reasons. None of them require an explanation.

Me, I like a stick shifts. But if I see an auto, I don't judge the owner over it.

27. eddie1

eddie1

For me, my wife can not drive a standard. I have tried to teach her & it just is not going to happen. So I need the automatic so she can drive the car as well. Around our house, in the current economy, if she can't drive it I can't justify spending money on a it. Maybe someday we will have enough extra money to have something she can't drive but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

28. You must be one of my large shoe'd & lowered brother's of another mother :rolleyes: ....joe

My boats are a 14EEEE large & Wideeee :eek:

29. sun down

sun down
    from tx

I will be 71 next month, I still love driving my four speed muncie,
    the firm clutch can be tiring at times in traffic but
    I love to hear the engine purr while shifting.. but as they say,
    different strokes for different folks.............

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Another guy with aftermarket knees. I remember the Hays clutch I had back in 71. If I had to hold it for more than a couple of minutes my leg would start to twitch. No way I could push that down now.