Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage speed in Florida

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buddysyard, May 6, 2012.

1. i was going to buy new aluminum carb base for a 94 from vintage speed. talked to a fellow today, said they were made overseas and not good quality. any input on these ?

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

do a search here about Charlie Price.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've only had good luck with Charlies stuff. He has always treated me well on pricing and I pick it right off of his table at Turkey Run, so there is no delays in shipping. The parts I have bought so far have been good too.

I know some people have the opposite to say, but not me.

Don

4. I don't know why Charly gets a bad rap on here, the times I have spoken to him he has taken time to educate me on carbs, infact the last time I had to tell him I had to go back to my job, he must have talked to me for a half hour. I bought 2 97s off of him and the linkage. No complaints from me.

5. Call dickster or one of the carb guys that actually post here and support HAMBers

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Same as Don, I've only had good dealings with Charlie and there has been a lot of them !!!

7. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i have bought all my carb parts from him and have always got good service.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had mixed results with him. He has a large selection of parts but the quality can be iffy. I ordered a set of 94 jets from him, and got one 51 and one 47 (I ordered 51's) that were obviously used. Also, some throttle plates for 94's I got from him were much thicker than stock and were unusable. These days, if I can get what I need somewhere else, I go there, but for the arcane stuff, I still go to Charlie. As to the bases, I think you should wait and see if anyone gets back to you with some actual experience with them.

9. jack orchard

jack orchard

placed 3 orders with him. parts arrived in a reasonable time frame. he's OK with me...jack

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. dlotraf

dlotraf

I bought a set from him for the 94's. They may be cast over seas, (most everything is) but the quality seams ok. They work good. Throttle plates seal good with no leaks, mounting flanges were flat, and carb body base also flat. I see no problem with the set I got. And the carbs run sweet on my little 283. The only problem I had with their kit, was a bad power valve for the center carb. But I had several extras from carb kits, so no harm no foul. I'd buy another set from him if I needed it............

11. ok great. thanks for all input so far.

12. Umm, you better do a search:rolleyes:

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think a lot of the negative remarks you might find by searching is due to the age old problem.........people will take the time to give bad feedback, but few will take the time to say the good experiences they might have had. This happens with every company out there at one time or another, in every industry. Look up Speedway, Summit, SoCal, etc and there will be good and bad reports.

As you have seen in this thread, the majority of us feel Charlie's parts are ok and we have had good dealings with him. I guess you could search until the cows come home and find some people who were not pleased, but the feedback you are getting today is as current as it comes.

And I just remembered that I did buy two Rochester GC carbs from VS, one with their no idle screw base on it, and they worked fine.

Don

14. ratman

ratman

Have made several purchases including the carb bases and I have been very pleased with the product, service and delivery. 5 stars from me.:)

15. Don, I respect your opinion and skills. But, it seems like folks closer to Charlie that can buy direct always have a better transaction. Not always, my pal Dave up here had a good transaction but had issues with his carbs that should not have happened. And the testimonials of Charlies wife on the phone would fill a how-not-to manual. I am basing my business model on "whatever Charlie does you do 180!":D

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, no question Mrs Charlie can be "difficult " at times. :eek::D

Don

17. boy..oh..boy, sounds like a coin toss. new carb bases would be nice. did some looking around at dicks hot rod carbs.seems like he has plenty of happy customers.