Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock Super Dual Info Needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50specialdeluxe, May 3, 2012.

1. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Just picked up a Super Dual Edelbrock intake with 2 rebuilt Stromberg 97's for my '51 Shoebox with an 8BA. Questions I have had trouble finding answers to are: Most sites selling this intake list it as being for the '38-48 Flatties, while others list it as being for '49-53. Assuming there aren't 2 different versions so which is it? Also, do I need an offset gen. bracket to mount the generator? The rep at Speedway I spoke with said the ones they sell come with an offset bracket but that they have it listed for the 38-48's. Help!

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

You need to look at the front of your intake....
    1. Is there a generator mount ? If no its the 38-41
    2. are there two round holes justbehind the gen mount on the drivers side - If yes its 49-53
    3. Gen mount with no holes as mentined above 42-48
    Here's the kicker You can make it work either way . Buy an offy ofset gen mount ( you choose what side to bolt it to ) The intake will bolt up. If it is a 48 - earlier you might have some interference with the road draft tube boss- If that's the case I would hook up a pcvfrom it to the under side of the intake ( you can find threads on it )

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Oh if you have the stock dizzy plan on replacing it with a modified small block chevy or aftermarket - contact gmcbubba here he can set you up!

4. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Thanks for the info, this helps a ton!

5. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

guessing I'm replacing the dizzy because the generator will remount on the pass. side? Just want to make sure I buy the right gen. mount!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You are replacing the dizzy because it is a hopeless piece of crap and will work worse than that with duals.

(also the sires selling Edelbrock are listing the few flathead manifolds currently available. Edelbrock made quite a few versions no longer available)

7. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

well that makes sense. is there a recommendation as to which side the generator should be mounted on?

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If you are using this intake in a 51 shoebox, take note the difference between 49-53 and 48 and older intakes, the angle of the carb mountings are quite different. The later intakes have the carbs "tipped forward" to compensate for the engine mounting angle in 49-53 cars. Using an earlier intake could cause float bowl issues. A side shot picture of your setup would help identify, which one you have.

9. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

I'll get pics up tomorrow of it, but I don't notice a forward slant to the carbs so I'm thinking it's the older one...could be wrong but I'll get pics up for clarification...

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Does your super duel have the gen mount or not? (Some did …. some don’t.)
    Are you looking at offset mounts off the head or off the gen mount on the intake?

Like Bruce said always ….. stock dist/dizzy is unfriendly

11. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Help! There's no one by this name on the hamb!

12. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Here's the only pic I have of the setup...I'll get better ones once I get home from Rust Revival!

Attached Files:

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

14. gashog

gashog

That be the early intake without the generator mount. I used the same one on my 8BA with early heads and a Harman Collins dual coil crab distributor. The idler bracket is a chunk of C channel and an old 3-brush generator. IIRC, I had to drill/tap the block for the LH rear bracket bolt. Be careful of those aftermarket generator mounts. There's more difference to them than side; some adjust vertically and some at a 45 degree angle. That may be the deal breaker in deciding whether you mount the generator on the right or the left.

FWIW, the SuperDual runs great on the warmed over flatty in my Model A (Isky Max 1 cam/adjustable lifters, Red's headers, stock pistons and 65 cc aluminum heads).

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

The 49 -53 (8BA) version provides a port that slips over the crankcase vent tube...located in the front, pass side, of the lifter gallery. That tube will interfere with the 59A intakes, unless the vent tube is either removed, or shortened. I can forward some pics of the underside differences, if anyone needs.

Several different gen mount choices are available from just about anyone who is selling Flatmotor goodies.

4TTRUK

16. 50specialdeluxe

50specialdeluxe

Well it looks like I was had then, as this was advertised and sold as a 49-53 plug and play setup. Shame on me for not doing my homework I suppose but I think for convenience sake I'm going to try and just trade the manifold for a good 49-53 one. If not, I'll look into making it work.

On another note, is this manifold good for a stock motor, or is there one better than another for a stock motor?

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The one in picture has no heat under the carb...probably not good where you live.
    If you have the exhaust heat you can easily block it if unneeded, but you can't add it...
    Also it is the version with no bracket, made for '39-41 applications. Think about where the fan is going to go...
    Fuel pump stand, lack of heat, and lack of bracket are all problems here. You can adapt your way around all, but this seems like a lot of trouble.