Register now to get rid of these ads!

Noisy '55 Ford rear axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Protofuria, May 6, 2012.

1. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

Hi guys,

I'm worried about the rear axle on my 55 Ford country wagon : it's very noisy! I've just put fresh new oil in it (I was adviced to use some 85w140) and it doesn't seem to be better... I'd say it's even worse!
    I'm gone to the point where the whistling sound of the rear end is almost as loud as the engine sound (which is a Y block with cherry bombs)

What kind of oil should I be using?? is there a way to save it for some time until I can find another axle (those are not common parts to find in France!)

any advice would be appreciated!

2. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I used to use STP. THE BLUE OR RED CAN IF YOU CAN FIND IT OVER THERE.

3. Protofuria

Protofuria
    from France

what's the viscosity of the STP?

4. It may be quieter with straight 90 weight, but you should really diagnose the noise. Old car books usually had a rear end noise diagnostic chart in them, or you should be able to find one online.

Bob

5. Ole don

Ole don

If its a wagon made in USA, it should have a Dana axle, I think a 44. They are very common, used in everything from Jeeps to Jaguar. Maybe its time to find the noise and repair it.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The old timers trying to sell a car with "noisy" gears would mix saw dust in the oil (don't even THINK of trying that one!). It sometimes masked the noise for a few days, but eventually the rear crapped the bed. If a rear end gets noisy, either the gears are worn or one or more of the bearings are shot. Do yourself a favor, bite the bullet and get it fixed or replaced and save the hassle of a roadside tow.

7. If its that loud,you are driving on borrowed time.

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

It whistles ?

There' some pretty good info here. As Bob said Similar to what is found in lots of factory shop manuals