Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 OD tranny in a 51 Shoebox??? Will it fit???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Ess, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Been looking for an OD transmission for my 51 Shoebox. I know that the 51 is a one off year and that the cross member would need to be changed to run a 49-50 tranny. Have a line on a 50 tranny from a fellow HAMBer but have not heard back from him. I have located a 52 OD tranny one town over from me, and am hoping that it would be a candidate for my 51. How about it guys, am I in luck?

Thanks,
    JS

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

unless there's a serious crossmember problem, should be a bolt-in....be sure to get everything for the OD (cable, solenoid, knob, dash bracket, etc).

dj

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

First I ever heard of '51 being a "one off"...........So far as I know, '49 thru '64 all have the same bellhousing pattern. The only other difference of consequence, if any, would be the tail housing length. That too, so far as I know is the same through about '56.

Perhaps you are thinking of mercurys of that era. '49/'50 is different from '51, which is, by the way the same as ford for '51.

Overall, I agree with Propwash.

Ray

4. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

I did that one time years ago. Had to rework the crossmember. Everything else was fine.

5. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

I believe you are correct that I confused Mercs and Fords. Thx.

6. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Heard from our good friends over at Shoebox.com that the Solenoid on the 52 tranny will hit the clutch actuation lever which I have circled in yellow.

[​IMG]

7. I tried to put a '53 OD in my '51. Had it all in place when I realized that there was no tapped hole in the transmission to install the clutch linkage pivot. You better check....

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49-50 are the same in sedan coupe and wagon--convert different. 51 is different from other years.52-53 supposedly are the same, i'm not sure about the clutch linkage situation. tailhousings and solenoid locations were changed from year to year, that's the problem.

9. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

I ended up finding a 51 OD locally and it was a bolt in. Ordered the rest of the electronics and switch gear from Job Lot Automotive in Queens N.Y.. Best move I ever made on this car, as it allows me to go 65 mph while keeping the revs nice and low.
    Also convinced me to put an OD in the 40.

10. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

The tail housing (and output shaft) of the trans increased by a good 3-4" from 1951 to 52 (stayed the same thru 54). This would also mean changing the driveshaft length (or using a 52-54 driveshaft instead). The others have touched on the issue of the clutch release pivot on the shifter housing....

It would be easier to find any 49-51 OD trans complete. Swap the tail housings from the 49-50 (same length but different support pad bolt spacing) with the '51 housing to get that part right....unless of course you found another '51 OD trans. The shifter housing from your '51 standard 3 speed will swap onto the 49-50 OD trannies. Same forks. You'll want to us the '51 levers.