Register now to get rid of these ads!

temporary gas tank ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by studog51, May 4, 2012.

1. any idea's on a cheap simple fuel tank i can hang from the hood while trying to get a car started that hasn't run in 30 years.... thx, dave

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Ive used a 5 gallon gas can

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One gallon gas can. Cheaper.

4. Plastic lawnmower, snowblower tank with a shut off. Easy to make a bracket to bolt up on the fender
    Should find one on the curb.

5. customs by jason

customs by jason

how long you want it to run? on my 54 i used a old sea foam can drilled a hole in the top got a rubber line and run it to the fuel pump use a few fitting from my compression tester i think to make it all fit. it will run for about 15 to 20 min before it runs out of gas. thats if your fuel pump works. mine had sit since 1990 and it worked fine.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 or so gallon boat tanks from Walmart work pretty good. You can hook a 3/8 line to most of them too. Sometimes you can find one on Craigslist for about 10 bucks.

7. I have 2 old lawn mower gas tanks that I use to get cars running. I like them because they already have a bung welded in the tank to hook up your fittings. You can usually pick them up cheap from a junk yard or your local small engine repair shop.

8. Willy301

Willy301

I actually have a couple different cans I use, but I have a retired IV pole that I hang them from. That way I can keep it clear of the backfire, should one occur and also keep it from sloshing raw gas all over the car if there is any vibrations in the hood on start up.

9. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Plenty of good suggestions here. But, "hang it from the hood"!!??? NO!! You aren't seriously going to hang it above the engine, are you? Time for super caution. Put the gas can on the floor. On a chair or such is a dumb idea. On the floor it cannot fall over. Electric pump to the carb. If no electric pump then use a hand siphon bulb. Think in term of a big fire and do all you can to keep it from happening.

10. budd

budd

a buddy of mine uses a small motorcycle gas tank, he has it mounted to what looks like a coat rack on wheels, motorcycle gas tanks have shut offs, it remonds me of an IV setup at a hospital

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Know any Doctors? Get an IV drip bag...

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ha-Ha let's put raw gas over a unknown condition motor - looks like modeltnut & Willy301 have some good ideas. might want to keep a good fire extinguisher that works on gasoline and a cell phone programed to dial 911. also, don't let the hood hit you in the head when it closes when you don't want it too.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I use an old motorboat gas tank. Safe, won't spill, and has a built in fuel pump.

14. thx for the input guys i think a mower or one gallon can will work which ever i come across first
    thx for your concern for my safety guys.... i guess sitting a container of combustible liquid on a back firing carb while trying to start an old v-8 isn't a good idea ;) hahaha I have a rack on wheels i use for painting parts..... thx again , dave

15. mramc1

mramc1

I had a one gallon milk jug with the lid on and a hole drilled to stick the hose into. Wire tied it to the rad support and ran the hose into the engine bay. Worked good for trips in and out of the garage and it was free.

16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I zip tied a 1 gallon gas can to the front bumper and let the mech fuel pump do it's thing.:)

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I recently got a nice little steel tank from an old stationary engine, looks to be about 2-3 gallons, for just that purpose and use on a start/run stand.

18. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

that what i use--chuck

19. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

[​IMG]

Let's hope bad judgement skips a generation.

20. Be sure to keep a minimum amount of gas near the car. It will run a long time on small amount of gas and if you have a fire the less the better.

Charlie Stephens

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I use a plastic boat fuel tank.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I would also not do it inside a house garage, push it outside. That way if something really bad happens you might only lose the car and not your home too.:eek: Keep a really good functioning fire extinquisher nearby too, all of us have caught a motor on fire at least once in our lifetime.

Don

23. F1James

F1James

old snapper rideing mowers has a large plastic tank behind the seat that works good.

24. jnichols

jnichols

I have a plastic boat tank with a shucks cheapo electric fuel pump ziptied to the handle for such duties.
    Although I will confess I did once drive my OT 4x4 out of the woods and home 300 miles with a ice chest full of gas strapped on the fender after I ripped open the stock tank. Even stopped and got gas on the way home.