Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod versus garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconsprint63, May 5, 2012.

1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

simple question. would you sell your running car to build a suitable garage for future projects?

2. I have never kept a finished car for more than a year, except my O/T Triumph TR4.

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I couldn't afford a plastic shed with the money I'd get.

4. X2

No brainer, unless the car has overwhelming sentimental value. From '72 until '05 I had essentially no working space. Having space to work on cars makes all the difference in the world.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, the garage would enable you to build a lot more cars in the future. No question that a nice garage or shop makes working on cars a pleasure, and it is our little escape from life for a while.:D

Don

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now if I had a finished vehicle to sell to be able to build a garage I would.

7. If I didn't have a nice tree and a piece of cardboard , yup I would!

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I only have 2 old cars at this time. I've owned 1 for 36 years and the other for over 20... I think I'll have to keep them.

9. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

With car values what they are, I'm keeping mine

10. Dude, you can have a car AND a garage. I had to wait to build my garage, but I saved and waitd and I have both. Then I got another car......

11. Lild

Lild

12. grabrr

grabrr

Finished cars are boring.

13. jmpowie

jmpowie

I was thinking of getting my 29 done just to sell it for a detached garage. The only problem is my land has wet land on it so I am not sure I could have a real garage. I am going to have to listen to my wife complaining about the grinding and welding smell for some time to come.

14. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Theres no such thing as a finished car.:D

If it's going to be years until you can afford to start a new project, live in the day and enjoy your car for now and save for the garage. You can't cruise in a garage!

15. A Rodder

A Rodder

I just did.
    Building a fairly nice large shop and was 15k light on having all the money to do it. Sold my 30 Model A tudor.
    Hard decision as I could have finagled a way to keep it but I really hate paying interest.

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Emotional attachment can cause one to do things they really shouldn't. For me, it depends on the car. If the garage has more value to me than the car, I would trade the car for a garage. At the other extreme, I wouldn't sell the Hirota Merc, Cadzilla, Ed Iskedarian's roasdster, or my grandfathers John Deere, to build a garage. Anything in between, like I said, it depends. I just mentioned in another discussion here that, rather than add to my building I have decided to sell some stuff, but that's me.

17. bandit14569

bandit14569

Cars will come and go. You need a good work space to do good work. Built my 40 x 60 shop 2 yrs ago with ultra lighting, double insulated, outlets every 5 ft., 220 outlets on all 4 walls. A real man cave.

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I was hoping this wasn't another neutral safety switch thread :D

And, garage.

19. NO frickin way! Fix it in the snow but keep the rod! Jeeeze....

20. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

Selling two for that same reason. You can always build another car.

21. Amen brother

22. JasonHehn

JasonHehn

I did it, but I also had 3 other rods at the same time....1 driver and 2 projects. And have not regretted since! J

23. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

I've built 3 garages and have sold cars and motorcycles to do so, would not change a thing. An older guy told me once and I listen for once, had to think about it but it made cent. He was in his early 60s had a big garage about 40x80 that was half done, walls and roof' dirt floor no doors you get the pic. said he started it about 20 years ago was paying for it as he got the money so life and bills and new projects kept coming so he never got it done. SAid if he had to do over he would sell cars or his projects to do so and even if he had to borrow and little to finish it. I looked at him and did not want to be him in 20 years, I would sell what I could and have a payment and a nice garage, if you have not had a garage to will not make sense but if you have had one you WILL NOT be without one again.Thanks and good luck

24. Smokey2

Smokey2

One of the Best Things ever Told Me.......
    Don't Fall In Love With A Car !, It's Cost You in the Long Run........Time to Sell IS WHEN some Wants It !!!
    Did'nt listen to that !!!! as well, as A Lot Of Other Wisdom Told ME.........an Yeah,

IT COST ME LOT'sa $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I have two Decent Chevies Now, and NO GARAGE ! But would'nt Sell One to Build
    A Garage.............Building "Another Shed ", last one cost me $230.00........
    amazing what you can find "behind Lowe's " and throw away stuff when someone eles is building something.....I got lot'sa TIME .

Good Luck Lookin' to All,
    Smokey II

25. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

I sold mine to build my shop.. Way back when.. Best thing I ever did too... Miss the car,, But Love my shop.. Just wish it was bigger..:D

26. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I did it just backward, I got out of a rented work shop and sold a project to help finance a finished car.........guess it depends on the car. When something comes along and you want it bad enough you find a way of making it happen.
    I bought my dream car.
    I do miss the shop but not the bills. Maybe someday I'll add on but will never sell the car to do it.

27. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

nice to hear everyone's thoughts. when we bought the new house I ended up with a garage that just won't do (i bay that barely holds the 34 pu chassis). we found it out it needs about $6500 of roof work or $10k to add a good sized bay and maintain the architectural intergrity (we live one house outside of an historic disttrict and my wife's degrees are in architecture). or I can just put up a metal building hidden behind the current shop for about the same money.

tough call. I've had this ride for about 15 years and it's big enough for the whole fam, but side work in the shop is how I make my play money, and it's hard to do without a space.

28. I totally agree with ya,Don.

29. jazz1

jazz1

Not my words but damn good argument for building a shop for the sake of sanity

"there is nothing more pitiful than a man without a garage" Red Green

[​IMG]