Register now to get rid of these ads!

Forever turning left

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly-medic, May 3, 2012.

1. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

So I find myself always wanting to turn left or right, or atleast that is what everybody else is thinking. My 62 Galaxie does not have automatic return for the signal arm, or if it ever did it is not working now, so I am constantly driving around with my blinkers on.

Finally had a close call today when somebody assumed I was turning right so they pulled out in front of me, so that is why I am writing this thread.

Does anybody know of an aftermarket bell or alarm I can attatch to the signal so it lets me know I left them on... or maybe a tech on it to just wire in a simple Radio Shack type alarm/bell....

thanks

2. somebody, maybe ron francis? sells a flasher unit that dings, try speedway?

3. Any heavy duty flasher should "click" load enough to let you know it's on.
    Why not just pull the steering wheel and fix it?

4. It came from the factory with a return. Why not just pull the steering wheel and fix it the right way. sheeeesh

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

6. They make a repair kit for that ,It is plastic also They did sell them at Orileys on the Help rack

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hey I got the same problem but without a fix. '50 chevy's did not have turn signals so aftermarket switch doesn't return. Been thinking about doing the same thing. Or maybe putting and IDIOT light up high enough that I can't ignore it. I have to use a 3 terminal flasher so its should be easy to wire a buzzer or light to the Pilot term.

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

Why not just fix the switch or at least put some directional lights in the dash that you can see.

9. 1935Dodge

1935Dodge

On my '35 Dodge Brothers I wired in a 12-volt buzzer I got at Radio Shack. Tested it and it worked great. Stored the truck for the winter, forgot about the buzzer. First time I used the truck in the spring it scared the hell out of me. Thought some dump truck was backing up!
    John

10. I have used the seat belt buzzer out of older GM cars 2 wire ez hook up in line with flasher .Go to salvage yard & pull one out of the fuse box I also use them for finding battery drains easier than a test light as you dont have to look just listen

11. Yeah, pull the wheel off and see what you have there. Not sure what the '62 has, but worst case you have to replace the detent plate and the harness that runs down the column, not a big job. Best case, one of those 90* springs (if so equipped) is broken.

Bob

12. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

my dad is always doing the same in his model a, he calls it his senility light.

13. belair

belair

Just drive it until you're really old-you'll be leaving it on all the time then anyway.

14. Lo-fi

Lo-fi

Just replace the turn signal cam. My 63 galaxie had the same issue. It's an $11 part from mac's or dearborn classics. You have to pull the wheel, but thats the hardest part. Took me about 20 minutes.

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Don't use your turn signals at all [ That's how everybody drives in my "retirement village" ]