Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

time for a (somewhat) weekly update.
    Repaired the snapped off gas cap door hinge bolts.
    Also have been doing a lot of paint removal, not much to show, i will post once the roof is all bare. I appear to be at the stage where you just put on the mask and keep on going. I'm 100% sure now that I like welding better, as well as any thing using a wrench.
    I have the DP60LF blue primer on hand and picked up a 3M painting mask today, but have not tried painting yet.

2. 60 ford

60 ford

Good luck with your build.

3. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

They are repopping '59 inner fender wells!? where!? Thanks!

Travis

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Sorry Travis,
    it looks like they are not based on a quick look of all my best sources, my bad.
    It would appear i had it confused with ones for my OT 71 Chevelle convert which are available all over the place.

5. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks 60 Ford,
    just looked over and subscribed to your build on the 62 Futura, looks like you are doing great work and it will be a lot of fun.

i had a 1960 back in high school that was planned for a similar build, to be like one of my buddies older brothers wheel standing Falcon.
    Unfortunately, a stop sign i did not see and a school but that hit the rear ended all that, glad i lived to tell about it.
    A 63 1/2 Futura convert is on my short list of cars to get one day

6. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

Ahhh OK thanks! Had me wondering there for a sec! I really don't need them but with as many people I know who have 1959 and 1960 Chevrolets, any and all parts sources are great to have!

Travis

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well I really was not asking for more holes to fix, but ran into more while sanding.

Attached Files:

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well the roof is finally stripped. It is not too bad, but really not too good either. the worst is several areas that are under the rack. i plan to try the POR-15 full treatment on those areas.
    I also plan to try wet sanding on the remaining side areas, as the paint is fairly solid and i am sick of the dust.
    We will see, since my original plan for this car was to learn more about building, it looks like i am getting my moneys worth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  9. Don't know how I missed this thread before. Glad I found it!!! Nice build. Keep us posted. Todd

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I find new ones all the time, i think it is the level of traffic as the HAMB has grown, new posts drop off very fast to the back.

thanks, i appreciate you comments.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Finally got to work on a piece of all new steel to replace the inside tailgate. I have been wanting to get this done for some time. I was able to get a drop piece from work that worked out well.

Attached Files:

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Eventually there will be no more rust :rolleyes: ..just keep the positive attitude ! Its looking better with every job crossed off the list!

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the encouragement, in keeping with your comments, on to more rust repairs. this time on the bottom of front radiator support and then more surface rust removal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

There not a lot to show for the week, i did decide to get more practice on patching holes, this one that would not show but since I'm now planning on the tailgate being my primer test dummy, I decided to fix it.
    Too bad i was tied up last weekend with work and home projects, it was warm enough to paint with the doors open. Not bad for the end of winter in MN. it was 80 F.

Attached Files:

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lookin good! Its just about that warm here now....and I got nothing ready for primer...well actually I dont have any money to buy said overpriced primer lol! You can never have too much practice patching holes anyways!!

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You're doing a great job, I'm coming close to the end on my El Camino and boy are my arms tired!

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

I can hardly wait to see it out side with fresh paint...love that car!!

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

weekly update; spent a bit of time reworking some bad paint on the radiator support. i appear to have selected a top coat that did not work with the primer. started prepping the passenger door. have been using the 3M stripping disk and find it to be the best way to go so far. Put a little short hair fiberglass over the patch, trying to clean up any trace of rust on the outside panel.

Attached Files:

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Not a lot to post for my weekly. I have been installing a exhaust fan for the shop. Lots more body work, mostly paint removal and minor ding bumping to get ready for primer.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

All the fun stuff that isnt really worth takin pics of eh! Its all got to be done though!!

21. estes

estes

Looking great, i would love to have a '59 wagon!!

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

good point, thanks

thanks, yep the 59's are unique and have a look all there own with the cats eye taillights, fins and dash as some of the key items people tend to like.

hope to have some quality time in the shop this weekend, but it may not show too much.

23. Keep cutting out that rust and eventually you will have a solid car to work with.

You work looks great. HRP

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

A few pictures of the progress, making the small holes go away too. the first one is the leftover from some major repairs done long ago.
    If we can ger the temperatures we had in March, maybe I can try some epoxy primer soon.

Attached Files:

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yep, that is what i have been up to since the last update.
    I did a bunch of pin holes on the fins, under the trim. I am hopefully running out of places to find more:rolleyes:.
    i also decided to take in a bunch of smaller and hard to do parts to get blasted, to research how it compares to what i have been doing.[/QUOTE]

I guess that kinda makes you a Fin Doctor :D Keep at it !!

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I guess that kinda makes you a Fin Doctor :D Keep at it !![/QUOTE]
    true, you could say I am taking a "hole-istic" approach to rust repairs. thanks

28. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Looking good man! Nice job on the body work and de-rustification, I feel your pain I am getting all the rust out of my truck project, then soon I will start back on to the wagon. Luckily my wag appears to be much more solid than this truck I am building. Keep it up, You'll have her clean and straight soon. -Later

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well, for the first time in over 18 month, my car actually moved. I am done for now with the patching under the rear and lowered the car to the ground. See the first pic for proof.
    The next step will be to get it outside to clean the car and the shop to get ready to try some priming with DPLF-60. It will be interesting to see how the blue looks.

Attached Files:

30. 59wood

59wood
    from Dago, CA

I like what your doing to your wagon and its coming along awesome.. I also own 59 wagon but the Parkwood model with the same Harbor Blue color and patina and rust issues.. You got my attention and will be keeping an eye on this post.. Looking good and keep up the good work..
    Here's a shot of my ride.[​IMG]