Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

You're both welcome to visit my humble garage anytime!

2. farmer12

farmer12

Well I finally got my welder back! About time......Started to "loosely" install the front window rubber and got to work on the garnish molding again. I needed to make two extra cuts in order to get it to flow with the rubber. Welded and cleaned it up and installed it. The ss screws I'm using are just a little too short, so I'll need longer ones tomorrow. Hope to have a few more hours the coming days. It certainly feels good to be doing some constructive work again.:D

Attached Files:

3. plmczy

plmczy

4. farmer12

farmer12

Had a great day today! Took me about 7 hours of fitting, grinding and welding, but I've finished the windshield garnish. It was the fitting of all the pieces that took up a lot of time, then mark them off, unbolt and so on....In all my enthusiasm I forgot to take pics.....but this is the end result! Gave it a quick sanding, primered it and left it to dry. Going to fit it as a whole tomorrow.

While waiting for the paint to dry, I got some string and attached it to the trim holes to make sure that the nose of the car is in the right position. Looks to be as straight as an arrow.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice progress Eric, looking dead cool.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great!
    Thats originally a one piece garnish moulding?
    I guess chopping that will be more challenging than shoebox windshield garnish,thats in 2 pieces..

7. Looks really good Eric!!

Here's a question I've always wondered about chopped cars. Obviously you can't buy "chopped" window rubber seals so what do you do? I assume you cut the rubber seal to fit, but how do you join it back together??

Sorry for the novice question.

David

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Finnrodder. It originally is a one piece, correct. But the chop has changed the profile of the moulding dramatically. Here's the original piece I received in the mail (thank UPS....) and the end result, side by side.

Attached Files:

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you David. I was thinking about this today as well, as I was cutting the top pieces of the rubber.....Now considering the car is chopped about 4-5 inches, I'm left with 8-10 inches of excess rubber. I cut it at the top,(about 2 inches either side of the divider), as I figured that I want it to seal perfectly at the bottom where there will be more water. Now for the joining of the "loose ends", I'll need to talk to the guy who is going to install my windows. I'll leave the final cut and paste for him to do.:D

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats really nice save!
    I have never seen that UPS has messed something so badly.
    I am suppose to get a new trunk lid(hopefully at tomorrow),i hope that the stowers havent put it in the same condition than your garnish was...

11. Hey Eric, nice to see that you're enjoying your spare time the right way, looks good what you're doing!!

Hey Antti,

best wishes on your trunk lid! as i received one of my NOS-grille pieces it looked like UPS had run one of their panel trucks over it! some of these guys don't take care of what they are being paid for!

Greets ,Carsten

12. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Looks great Eric..Nice progress.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you plmczy.

Thanks Steve, I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

14. farmer12

farmer12

I hope your parts arrives in a better condition. After several emails to UPS and getting standard emails as a reply, I eventually gave up trying to get any compensation. I suppose their tactics work.....

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

With bigger parts i have usually used freight companies,that managers are finns.Their services has worked fine.Only once there was a small damage,i bought a Harley FLH 72' for my bro from Florida and someone had busted the tail light lense.The lense was ok in Florida when i made the deal,but it wasnt ok in here when the bike arrived.
    When we were returning from the bike pick-up gig from customs,we popped in Mr.Moore's bike shop.He sold an used lense for 2 euros for my bro.The financial lost wasnt really big,so i didnt bother to complain about the broken lense.:D

16. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

Hey 40two

show a couple pictures of that garage, do I see a pool table in the second photo?

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Carsten!

Thank you anythinggm.

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,
    It arrived in perfect condition,theres few spots that need some attention but its waaaaaaaaay better than that POS which is currently bolted on my shoebox.It was totally worth to buy it from another side of the pond:)

19. Yep, it is a pool table.. pm me your email, i will look for some pics, don't wanna fill up Eric's thread to much!

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

That's real craftsmanship there bubba.:)

21. farmer12

farmer12

After finally fitting the newly completed garnish moulding for the windshield, it required a little "adjusting" here and there. So out came the hammer and dolly and persuaded the moulding to take the correct dimensions. Finally: it fits like I intended and looks correct.:D Mind you, it did test my patience with probably close to 15 hours of "shaping" it.

Next I mounted the center bar for the overall look. There's no better feeling than sitting in your car and looking at the work you've just accomplished.:D

Attached Files:

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

There's no better feeling than sitting in your car and looking at the work you've just accomplished.:D[/QUOTE]

Amen to that..

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Frankie47, it took a bit of time, but it was wel worth it.

24. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

I envy your patience.....absolutely perfect looking moulding.

25. hasty

hasty

Looking good...

26. powhatan42

powhatan42

Eric,

The car looks hot, nice work indeed. I like how you filled in the vent as well. That is a cool photo looking at the dash. Keep up the great work on the car and the thread!

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hogman, your comments are appreciated.

Thanks hasty.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Except for when you drive it the first time, and then you can't get the smile off your face!:D

29. joco

joco

Hey Eric,

Great work you did on the car, I envy your patience

Greet, Joe

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Glenn, I like the photo too!

For the time being I need to get pleasure from the smaller things in life.

Thank you Joe.